LD Lines Newhaven - Dieppe

Discussion in 'France' started by Cyclists, Jan 17, 2016.

1. Cyclists

Cyclists Funster

Anyone have any experience of LD Lines? in particular Newhaven - Dieppe route?

Never used or know anything of them and am planning summer holiday to France.

Cheers

2. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

We use Newhaven Dieppe, 20% discount if over 60 cheap if you book in advance. Boats are OK nothing special , we live close to Newhaven so it suits us and can save 400 miles on a round trip. Also can save a few quid paying in Euro.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Cyclists

Cyclists Funster

Cheers Lenny

4. Les

Les Funster

I use them 1st time last year as I live in Seaford 6 miles down coast,nice seating and good condition food OK saves me 170 miles each way also 2 Aires next to ferry in Dieppe if you want to stay for you travel on

• Useful Useful x 2
  5. Old Soldier

Old Soldier Funster

We are using this service for the first time this summer, coming from Somerset anything has to be better than last years experiences of traffic, delays and migration problems at Dover/Calais and it is a nice, picturesque route down through the South Downs for us. Looking forward to it. :happy:

• Like Like x 2
  6. carolyn

carolyn Funster

We've used it a few times in a car and motorhome, very easy and means we can avoid the M25. Basic boat, have had a cabin once for an overnight crossing and beds no worse than Brittany ferries. Food was OK although we usually take a picnic.

7. Hollyberry

Hollyberry Funster

I always used LD lines Dieppe to Newhaven. Found the ship comfortable ( joined their loyalty scheme and was allocated a free cabin on next crossing) Dieppe port easy to access and although Portsmouth was closer for my destination in UK, Newhaven only about 40 minutes more and cheaper.
    Not had a bad experience with LD Lines.

8. mustaphapint

mustaphapint Funster

I used this crossing about 16 years ago with a motorbike, since then we've mostly used Brittany Ferries because the Western crossings suit us better. We're using Newhaven/Dieppe again in a couple of days time with the MH. Now we can stop overnight in our own vehicle and time is no longer an issue we can benefit from using the cheaper crossings.

9. BobtheBass

BobtheBass Funster

Their prices are WAY cheaper than all the competition, how do they do it? Are they subsidised or are all the rest overcharging?

10. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

I think Dieppe chamber of commerce or council subsidise them, DFDS nearly pulled the route last year when funding was nearly withdrawn. They are still running on borrowed time at the moment safe until November 2016.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. Cyclists

Cyclists Funster

are they part of DFDS?

12. mustaphapint

mustaphapint Funster

It looks like it. If you google LD Lines Newhaven and follow the link you are on a DFDS web page.

13. matamoros

matamoros Funster

Ex Rochdale now Tavira, S. Brittany & Europe
    LD lines have a history of undercutting prices on subsidised routes and pulling the plug when subsidies are ended.
    Gijon - St. Nazaire
    Poole - Santander

• Useful Useful x 1
  14. sedge

sedge Funster

They did the same when Speedferries went bump on the Dover-Boulogne route, @matamoros

• Like Like x 1
  15. jimbow

jimbow Funster

We will be using the route in a couple of weeks time and have used it for the last couple of years. We take the day sailing as we prefer it to overnight. We don't bother with buying food as we picnic. Its an easy crossing, and as already said there are 2 good motorhome aires in Dieppe (both have been revamped recently - and are much better for it) lets hope they keep going - there was apparently an issue when we booked in October - we couldn't book a return because they weren't accepting bookings past 31 March - it seems to be ok now as we can get back in June for £97.

16. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

You have just reminded me to book my return, you can now book up to the end of November.