Layout Types

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by Mrs.Mallard, Sep 2, 2015.

1. Mrs.Mallard

Mrs.Mallard Funster

This may be a stupid question but why are some layouts deemed British and some Continental? Why is there a difference in preference and what are the pros and cons?
    I am completely green never stayed in a MH!

• Like Like x 1
  2. Hel999

Hel999 Funster

I think the continental layouts tend to have a fixed bed and less lounging area. I guess it depends where you are planning visiting - british wet weather means a large comfy lounge area for rainy days is a must for many

• Like Like x 4
  3. philw111

philw111 Funster

There aren't really any pros and cons. Whatever layout works for you is the one you want - ignore the descriptions (y)

Welcome to the forum :)

• Like Like x 2
  4. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Hi Mrs Mallard. Traditionally the Brits liked a U-shaped lounge set up that gives a large lounge thats made into a large bed along with a large kitchen with an oven, this layout was rare across the channel but it did exist. However these days there are no real distinctions between motorhomes made here or on the continent and most makers have diverse layout options. Welcome to the Fun (y)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Bazzermc

Bazzermc Funster

Brits have easily accessible full ovens, continentals have high unusable small ovens, or at least that was our finding........
    Also door can be on the other side.........
    Welcome and enjoy.......

• Like Like x 1
  6. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

A lot of British vans are caravans on wheels they have never evolved into proper Motorhomes, U shaped lounges, that you have to do a jigsaw to make the bed up each night, IMO best avoided. They are also very good at including water ingress & damp as a standard feature.
    Continental vans nearly always have a fixed bed & table, generally have better cab seats that the standard Fiat, Merc offering, much more suited to touring rather than parking on a site for a week.

• Like Like x 2
  7. TerryL

TerryL Funster

If you get yourself a copy of "Practical Motorhome" they list 24 different layouts in their "Buying a Motorhome" feature towards the back of the magazine - useful for some ideas. As already stated it "UK" or "Continental" have become blurred together and most manufacturers have variants of each.

Jim, our revered leader sells an excellent tome on buying a motorhome. Checkout the shop.

It's important that you check out as many different layouts as you can - a show or a couple of big dealers is probably best. Getting this basic choice wrong could ruin any enthusiasm you've got, as well as being very expensive.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Allanm

Allanm Funster

Our British built Motorhome has a "French Bed"!

• Like Like x 1
  9. ballinue

ballinue Read Only Funster

Hi All Just new to this site, can anybody tell me where I can get measurements for to convert a Citroen relay 2.2 into Camper-van that would
    give the lay out for the interior bed / sink / etz

Thanks

10. The Happy Couple

The Happy Couple Funster

Hi Mrs Mallard - totally agree with TerryL - we are newbies too to motor homing and were convinced that we wanted a fixed bed layout. After a lot of visits to dealers/shows we changed our mind totally.
    It's a big investment so take your time x

• Like Like x 1
  11. Mrs.Mallard

Mrs.Mallard Funster

Thanks The Happy Couple and TerryL! Have ordered said book (y)

12. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

My advice would be to not be dogmatic when deciding what layout you want. When we were looking for our last motorhome I new exactly what I wanted to buy, a 6m long A class with overcab bed and end kitchen. We ended up buying a 7.2m coachbuilt with 2 single fixed beds and "continental" lounge. And we have not regretted it.

• Like Like x 2
  13. mitzimad

mitzimad Funster

you will get more response to this question on the sbmcc forum a wealth of info for self building

14. Anthony496

Anthony496

Wow broard statement

Our 496 is exactly the layout for our family (rear lounge) , we have three kids, try keeping them in a small euro front lounge when it's raining. Everyone has there own needs no point in slating a particular layout just because it doesn't suit you. Best avoided??? Yes perhaps if you MH alone! I'll just let the misses know we haven't bought a proper motorhome

Horses for courses.

By the way welcome Mrs mallard !

• Like Like x 4
  15. Dave K

Dave K Funster

I know the French and German manufacturers are seen as the must haves in MH's but I can't imagine trying to relax sitting in that dining area that they seem to all have, we've got a rear lounge in our Swift and love the fact we can stretch out and relax if the weather is naff or whilst watching the telly in the evening, as you say horses for courses but with our weather comfort has to be a big consideration

• Like Like x 5
  16. Speve

Speve Funster

We have recently changed to a Hymer Exsis i698 and I took out the fixed table and we use a folding one which suits us well gives you loads of lounging space.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Don't know what you are missing, nothing more comfortable than Augti captain seats up front, perfect for lounging when reclined.

Don't agree with Speve I wouldn't buy a van without a fixed table.

As for using they van in naff weather don't do that, 35° where we are at the moment.:D

• Like Like x 3
  18. Dave K

Dave K Funster

That's where we're all different isn't it, I wouldn't buy a van with a fixed bed but what suits our needs doesn't suit others, it'd be boring if we were all the same

• Like Like x 5
  19. Ja63

Ja63

Huh...that's nothing......ours has a Japanese microwave!! o_O

• Like Like x 2
  20. Mrs.Mallard

Mrs.Mallard Funster

Sounds better than a Japanese bed or a French microwave?:wasntme:

• Like Like x 2