Layout & Floorplan ??????

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by John&Kate, Sep 14, 2016.

1. John&Kate

John&Kate Funster

Following the recent post from @Cliffdale regarding island beds .. .. .. .. ..

Since I bought my Arapaho, I've been looking with a comparative view only (as you do) at all the major manufacturers layouts, I like to see what else is available.

Is it me :confused: or is the only thing that makes MH's of the last 2-3 years different from one another, their badge on the front grill and/or the A Class or coach built chassis they use???

Why does the "majority" all have the same layout / Floorplan ?

Does every manufacturer hire the same layout designer because everything looks the same to me ? (except some obvious AT models! and one other I saw the other day I forget which one included an end lounge layout).

Whats with these high rise ovens located above the fridge units? Pulling hot food out of an oven at head height is a "little" dangerous in my view ?

Does everybody want the same thing from a MH layout these days ?

I keep seeing Very small kitchen areas with little or no workspace, except if you close a lid over the sink, whilst finish cooking on the hob, then close a lid on the hob to stack dirty dishes whilst you open a lid on the sink to be able to wash up ?? Or is this where you use paper plates, or let the dogs lick the plate clean for you while you organise your cutlery?

Everything seems a little close nit ?????????

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. ROB1CHELSEA1

ROB1CHELSEA1 Funster

Your right about kitchen workspace which was one of the reasons we chose our Frankia. The side after the sink and the back shelf really helps, the sink covers also double up as additional shelf(y) 20160409_165704.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  3. Forestboy

Forestboy Funster Life Member

Tiny lounges is something I can't get my head around even 8 metre long vans have little round lounges with huge tables.
    Weird
    We use our van all year and a decent lounge to stretch out in is essential having said that small kitchen doesn't bother us.
    Do agree about high rise ovens look bloody dangerous.:eek:
    Before designing a van they should live in one for 6 months first.

• Like Like x 1
  4. spitfire

spitfire Funster

when we were in Australia last winter we looked at the Sunliner Pinto range. The space inside a small van was amazing. We have an 8m van but I would swap for this small van with a slide out. Felt so spacious and light. Wish they made something similar here !

5. spitfire

spitfire Funster

Our 8m Hobby 750 has a great lounge ,kitchen and fixed bed but is 8m. Main reason we haven't changed as most options are train seats !

6. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

You are right about kitchens getting smaller or certainly in most German/Continental vans, I think they must eat out all the time BUT after saying that there are a few new layouts around now that are all along the lines of the Hymer duo where you get a drop down bed at the front a bathroom behind that and then a fairly large and in some cases very large kitchen with a rear lounge area.

I guess at the end of the day there are only so many things you can do with a box that has to have a steering wheel and big window at the front and usually a garage space at the back.

Martin

7. Langtoftlad

Langtoftlad Funster Life Member

Chausson are usually quite innovative - sometimes their ideas don't catch on.
    But limited to how many ways you can arrange things.

8. houdini

houdini Funster

image.png We love the layout of our Adria. Have to juggle cooking working space a bit but have got used to it.

• Like Like x 1
  9. martin2603

martin2603 Funster

Looked at quite a few New A Class recently. The Hymer had a tiny rectangular sink in which a normal dinner plate would not fit, the front drop down bed was very good but vastly reduced headroom , then as we use normal domestic bedding where are you meant to store it when the bed is raised? In the garage?

10. RitaG

RitaG Funster

I love the layout in our Navajo as it has a huge living area for a mh. We make the beds up each night but that is not a chore, didn't want a fixed bed van as consider it a waste of useful daytime living space.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Cal54

Cal54 Funster Life Member

@martin2603 I believe that the bedding stays in situ on drop down beds when closed up.

12. ABZSteve

ABZSteve Funster

Like the look of that one also. We bought the Imala 615 as our first MoHo and can't see another layout that would suit us unless we went for a longer van.

13. Jack Slipper

Jack Slipper Funster

We went for a 718 Chausson with a full sized fixed bed because we value that more than having a lounge. If it's a nice lounge you want to sit around in probably best to get a caravan. Most people we see with caravans sit inside them all day - what's that all about? Our continental layout suits us find with very comfy swivel seats and enough space to sit round the six way table when we're in. You can't beat a nice big bed to get into at the end of the day. Just our opinion though!

• Like Like x 4
  14. burtonbird

burtonbird Funster

When we were looking we wanted a small van, preferably with a fixed bed, but found them all dark and claustrophobic. We settled on this Avantgarde, 6m long with an end lounge and a big picture window. We leave the IMG_20160915_095616381.jpg bed made up and rolling back the bedding/matress still gives us plenty of room to sit and eat at a collapsible table.

15. Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny Funster

Aren't small vans with slide outs starting to be produced now? I'm sure we saw one made by that horse box manufacturer last year...somewhere or other

16. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

Yes, you did.

There are a few threads about them and their customer service and delivery schedules. Overall assessment seemed to be "be very careful before parting with a deposit"

• Like Like x 1
  17. Langtoftlad

Langtoftlad Funster Life Member

Adria are trying a design with a slide out over the rear garage...

Can only find this non-English vid but a picture tells a thousand words :whistle:

18. CWH

CWH Funster Life Member

19. CWH

CWH Funster Life Member

.....and talking about slide-outs - anybody know what happened to the VW DoubleBack?

20. Dave K

Dave K Funster

Looks impressive but you'd think rain would still be an issue, particularly if coupled with wind, could you still put it away wet and the 'window blind' that unravels on the roof doesn't look like it would stop much to me, good idea though

• Like Like x 1