Layout, any comments or advice please?

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by Badknee, Aug 31, 2014.

1. Badknee

Badknee Funster

We, Angela and I, are looking to buy our first MH to do long winter trips to the sun. We have had caravans in which we became fed up making the bed every night so we want a fixed bed model, the bed being on the left looking from the front because of access for me (old fart).
    Because there's only the two of us a low line will be good with better aerodynamics than a Luton that we don't need.
    Don't want a big garage that makes access to bed difficult, same reason.
    Would love A/C, C/C Gas Low,but will settle for A/C. Fridge with separate freezer would also be nice.

Any suggestions from the knowledgeable people on here would be great.

2. movan

movan Funster Life Member

If you are fed up of making up beds, then if you have enough money get an island fixed bed. I went for a fixed bed to save climbing up and down into a bed above the cab, but it takes me forever to change the sheets as I am like a beached whale on top of the bed trying to sort the sheets out at the top .... I'm exhausted after. It would be lovely to be able to access the bed from both sides. :(

• Like Like x 2
  3. Bobby22

Bobby22 Funster

Elddiss 165 has a fixed bed on the left. Low profile should tick some boxes.
    Swift escape 664 or 662 has fixed bed on the opposite side with basically the same lay outs.

4. Bertie Bassett

Bertie Bassett Read Only Funster

We had a fixed bed in our Laika for exactly the same reasons as you Badknee, but between the heat and me getting up and down (like you another old fart!) sleeping in close proximity was a pain! (It would have been equally uncomfortable if it had been shared with the blonde lady from ABBA so it has nowt to do with Mrs BB and her snoring:rolleyes:)
    If you must have one then Movan's advice re-the island bed is sound. (y)

• Like Like x 3
  5. iceni

iceni Read Only Funster

The van in my avatar - autocruise startail has a fixed bed at normal bed level. Low line coachbuilt.

Depends on your budjet and requirments. bear in mind that most (but not all) fixed beds will be a compromise on width as thet are usually lengthways down the van and so you need to mimimise width

I hope this helps

Last edited: Sep 1, 2014
  6. Badknee

Badknee Funster

Do you know Bertie we had a chat last night about your post ....................... not the ABBA blonde bit ...................... and remembered that going down to Sicily last year towing our caravan we were in a hurry so dossed down on the forward side bunks and slept fine but while there and coming back we had the rear bed up full time and it was a pain keep climbing over one another to go to the loo and was very hot too so a double might not be the answer ................... more confused than normal now???????? :swear2:

7. Bertie Bassett

For us it's end kitchen and bathroom and two long benches facing each other which can be made into two good singles or a humungous double (for North Norway when it's really cold!). There are any number of possibilities but that's the one that suits Mrs BB (the snorer) and me (the up and down to the small room all nighter)! Go to a dealership and start pulling vans apart we do regularly!

8. Badknee

Badknee Funster

Yes I've heard that ::bigsmile:

9. sb8263

sb8263 Funster

we had autoquest 155 fixed bed,,,but wifey climbing over for loo in the night was a no go,,,,changed to a autotrail,2 x singles or one big double does the trick....making beds takes us less than 5 minutes for singles,,,and wifey not trying to get over me in the night for a pee.....(y)

• Like Like x 2
  10. Bertie Bassett

We haven't been banned from any yet!:D

11. Badknee

Badknee Funster

No but your close :lipssealed:

12. Bertie Bassett

Do you live in Carmarthen then? :whistle:It was 3A's who looked worried at our making the beds up and taking our shoes off to test the length!)(y)

13. MHVirgins

MHVirgins

Huh! What a charmer you are:RollEyes: I still get a lot of pleasure when my wife crawls over me in the middle of the night........:BigGrin:

• Like Like x 2
  14. MHVirgins

MHVirgins

Bill

15. Badknee

Badknee Funster

Haha, funny you should say that, I was once nearly chucked out of a furniture store for dossing on a couch to see if it was comfy.

16. MHVirgins

MHVirgins

[QUOTE="MHVirgins, post: 1099847, member: 17867"[/QUOTE]

17. Badknee

Badknee Funster

Me too (y)

• Like Like x 1
  18. Bertie Bassett

I think MHV missed that one Badknee............you are a very naughty boy!:D

19. MHVirgins

MHVirgins

When we bought our first van a 6 berth (Elddis 180) we had a rear U-shaped lounge, but we kept it as a fixed bed because we always sat in the mid-dinette area. After a year, we wanted a full-size fridge/freezer, separate shower, full air-con and rid of the mid-dinette layout and wanted more lounge space.
    We have a rear/corner bed, but I, (like Movan) dislike wresting with the sheets in the corners.......by the time I've put the sheet on I'm ready for a lie down:BigGrin: I've found a solution to the problem now, I get hubby to put the sheet on for me:laughing:
    Try out as many as you can before taking the plunge, lie on the bed and sit on the loo as well to check our leg room. One person's "ideal" layout may not be ideal for you. Happy hunting!

Margaret

• Like Like x 1
  20. Bertie Bassett

I should have mentioned that one M, our current Autocruise Rhythm has an uncomfortably high toilet which Mrs BB finds impossible to use in comfort without one of those small boys wee stands from IKEA(n). I find it difficult for the main activity too and I'm fairly tall. (I was very cautious when phrasing that!:))

• Like Like x 1