Free Member
Aug 12, 2010
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
2 yr
Sounds odd I know but can anyone clarify what the law is please?

Reason being our K plate A Class Frankia has just failed its MOT due to having no side repeaters! It wasn't made with any and has had none fitted!

Well it is a German LHD import, been here quite a while and passed all previous MOT's in the UK with NO SIDE REPEATERS so why has it just been failed??

Its not a big job to put some on but its the principal as to why has it now been questioned?

Thanks
Caroline

Nov 1, 2011
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
A Class Pilote
Exp
since August 2012
I hope this helps - taken from http://www.ukmot.com

"Vehicles used on or after 1 April 1986 must be fitted with one side repeater indicator on each side. Instead of a separate lamp, the side repeater might be part of the front direction indicator if it includes a wraparound lens. Lamps incorporating a side repeater are marked either with an 'E' mark in a circle or an 'e' mark in a rectangle above which is the number 5."

As far as I know, this is not a recent addition to the MoT Regulations.

spannermanwigan

Free Member
May 22, 2008
wigan, lancs
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 1973

Reason being our K plate A Class Frankia has just failed its MOT due to having no side repeaters! It wasn't made with any and has had none fitted!

Well it is a German LHD import, been here quite a while and passed all previous MOT's in the UK with NO SIDE REPEATERS so why has it just been failed??

Its not a big job to put some on but its the principal as to why has it now been questioned?

Thanks
Caroline

picture of van from front and side showing front indicator units would help?
not unknown for a tester to make a mistake,if your front indicators wrap around
and can be seen from side this would suffice.
regards
:thumb:steve

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
Are talking about Indicator side repeaters or side marker lights.

If it is the latter then these are required on vehicles over 6m long this was specified in legislation enacted in 2007 and vehicles in the M1 category had to comply from 29th April 2009 Motorhomes were exempt from this until 29th April 2012. So it is now a requirement for side marker lights on MHs over 6m. (Information found on MCC website)

Maybe more of us will be caught by this now.

OP
OP
Travelbug1

Travelbug1

Free Member
Aug 12, 2010
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
2 yr
Ok, so I have an update, we have checked the wrap around lenses and they have the correct markings to act as indicators but we are going to fit additional side repeaters as the orginal ones are not very bright due to age so although we will replace the side indicators will be fitted tonight as need to get the MOT redone in morning!

Don't know about the over 6 foot side markers though.

PS also need help getting alko brake drum off of hub to adjust handbrake!

BobProperty

Free Member
May 20, 2010
Stockport
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2010
What bit I know because I looked it up to check that the Vazulagon didn't need to comply.
From 01/04/1991
Vehicles over 6m
Side Markers
<4m from front ; amber ; then every 3m in amber
<1m from rear ; red or amber

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
think those are for commercial mot .i cant see why it needs anything more than wrapround indicators .
if it was built on a truck they like to see them as they do tend to treat them as trucks not class 4 but might only comment about it.

Traveller_HA5_3DOM

Free Member
Jul 13, 2012
Following the Sun
Funster No
MH
Hobby Premium 65GE
Exp
since 1985

Thanks
Caroline

I think this post needs clarification.

Side repeaters are part of the obligatory lights system (side lights)
Indicator repeaters are part of the Signalling system (indicators)

Can original poster check paperwork and clarify which one please?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back