Latest Tom Tom sat navs (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Well.. I have my new Garmin and have road tested it back to base .. no problem.. like it a lot.:D
very intuitive and has no problems straight out of the box to windscreen.... nice solid mount that doesn't shake..
nice long power lead ..

Now loaded it with Campercontact POIs .. no problem.. tested a few routes.. excellent(y)

Voice command even works.. with a jock accent.. that's a first :LOL:

Bluetooth to Android phone works.. traffic info and making hands free phone calls works

having a play indoors now ..

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
no but it will take you on the whisky trial

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
You have to watch those digital traffic services these days. Some of them (possibly all by now) rely on a link to your phone so you can rack up data charges. I would be more tempted by a cheaper one with lifetime map updates only.

@GJH
Hi Graham ..

update from yesterday.. just found out this model has a built-in receiver for live traffic information.. no charge .. free , gratis..

more info here Broken Link Removed

when you connect to the phone by Bluetooth you can use it as a hands free unit , download the Smartphone app and you can also use the phone's address book and send it to the sat nav to navigate to.. and save as a favorite ..

lots of other stuff I'm just getting to grips with.. like doing a Google search on the phone and navigating to it ..

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Another vote for Garmin. My TT 1005 needed replacement so I looked at the TT500/600. What a joke that you can't put in your own POI. I know its promised in the future but I would rather rely on the promises of Milliband or Cameron than Tomtom. I remember when I first bought 1005 that lacked some features and it was nearly 18 months before they were provided by updates. I also got sick and tired of the message "Something had gone wrong please contact customer support" each time I tried a very lengthy update, and I got tired of paying for maps.

I purchased a Garmin 3598LMT. It comes with free map updates and traffic, downloads are fast, it just works, very very well. It's accurate and route planning and saving is a doddle. It took us through Netherlands, France and Germany last year for four months and I think it wrong footed us about three times over nearly 6000 miles. Presently it contains POI for Campercontact, Bordatlas and CC Infos, there are also thousands of POI already loaded when the unit is first purchased.

All in all, If someone asked my what to recommend, TT or Garmin, I would say avoid the grief of incomplete Tom-toms with open ended promises and simply but a Garmin. Never thought I wold say that as I loved my old 1005, when it worked, but thats life.

Note : since I posted this I just updated my Europe safety cameras. Plug in, log on, hit update, download, unplug and done.....less than 30 seconds in total. Stress free.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
All in all, If someone asked my what to recommend, TT or Garmin, I would say avoid the grief of incomplete Tom-toms with open ended promises and simply but a Garmin. Never thought I wold say that as I loved my old 1005, when it worked, but thats life.

likewise.. my old TT XL One has served me well.. still working after 8 years but map updates would cost almost as much as a new unit, battery is also goosed.. and would have bought another TT had they supported third party POIs..

I am impressed with the new capacitive screen.. so much more responsive than the old TT .. plus all the new features on the Garmin.. and when out road testing.. couldn't fault it.. granted I knew the roads.. but that is a good test .. if it goes the way you would normally go..

it's also easy to add POIs to Garmin, either using the POI Loader, safest way, or if your confident copy pasting into the POI folder

with free life time maps updates and free live traffic. it's a no brainer

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back