Latest on Wild Camping - Portugal (1 Viewer)

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
Been a lot of kerfuffle regarding wild camping in the past week, with widespread TV and press reporting. A minor consolation that the Brits don't seem to feature in complaints, but it is getting to a stage where there are huge numbers of Dutch and German M/H on the roads, and I would hesitate to dismiss this as pandering to the ex pats or jealousy from site owners:

Rough translation from Portuguese news report (GNR spokesman, Captain Ruis ?) didn't catch his full name):-

"So called wild camping is becoming a troublesome epidemic, with Dutch and German itinerant travellers emptying chemical toilets on beaches, in rivers and down water drains, leaving refuse everywhere and clogging up car parks. These are not culturally nomadic peoples we are moving on, or travellers desperate for respite on their journey, who are all welcome, but long term parasites taking advantage of our tolerant nature"

And

MH Scan.jpg

Camping Gaza

Free Member
May 7, 2016
La Châtre, Centre-Val de Loire France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low profile
Exp
Converted a Fiat Ducato PV a while back
When I was on the south Portuguese coast in December there were a huge number of German and Dutch everywhere you went on all the aires. One aire in Spain had nothing but Dutch except me!

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Let's hope they frighten off loads and loads of motorhomers, with reports like that one, in "news" papers like the Portugal News.

A "clampdown" involving 15 people and 7 "caravans"... wow!

I shake my head slowly, smile to myself and carry on as usual.

Remember to avoid Portugal if you have a motorhome. This will leave even more space for those of us already here...

JJ :cool:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
;)Got to say was amazed while spending a few days in a hotel with friends on the Algarve last week.
Motorhomes on every piece of empty ground,as stated mostly German and Dutch making access difficult to some smaller roads.In thirty years of visiting and two of living here part of the year I really was gobsmacked.
I know by speaking to French motorhomes owners,ours is french reg by the way that many are afraid to stay in the south of France since the Nice terrorist attacks and feel safer in Spain and Portugal.
Sorry to the Wild campers but I am happy to use my ACSI book and pay €15 or so for the quiet,comfort and facilities of a nice site with maybe a bar or restaurant.
Each to their own and if they are happy with that lifestyle but what I have seen recently it won't be so easy for much longer.
No excuse whatsoever for dumping excrement anywhere other than the correct place.:eek:

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
We will be there in 2 weeks time. :). Need any FB @JJ?

We plan to mostly stay away from beach locations and do some of the barragems and aires. Of course if we happen to see a nice uncrowned wilding spot on our routes then we will have it for a night.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
We will be there in 2 weeks time. :). Need any FB @JJ?

What a very kind offer...

Alright for pies thank you very much.

PS. I will have ended my Christmas and New Year break by then and should be back at QMJ.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
What's the warmest places to swim in? Any nice alcoves to be recommended? Or the most shallow barragems? I want to take the dog in swimming with me. This will be his last holiday abroad I think..bless him.

OP
OP
pyro
May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
Let's hope they frighten off loads and loads of motorhomers, with reports like that one, in "news" papers like the Portugal News.

A "clampdown" involving 15 people and 7 "caravans"... wow!

I shake my head slowly, smile to myself and carry on as usual.

Remember to avoid Portugal if you have a motorhome. This will leave even more space for those of us already here...

Portugal News is not the best quote I could find, just the best quote that was available in the English language. If you want to check the tabloid correio da manha, as just one of many examples, you'll find a more detailed report in the Portuguese language. If you want to translate, be my guest.

I think disparaging a news report pretty much amounts to self denial, given that the problem has grown to the extent that it now regularly features on TV news bulletins and is starting to gain traction with municipalities and parishes. Certainly the numbers of M/H do seem to be increasing a bit, and local areas such as São Martinho, and Salir do Porto were chock full with wild campers today. mostly Portuguese and Dutch.

;)Got to say was amazed while spending a few days in a hotel with friends on the Algarve last week.
Motorhomes on every piece of empty ground,as stated mostly German and Dutch making access difficult to some smaller roads.In thirty years of visiting and two of living here part of the year I really was gobsmacked.
I know by speaking to French motorhomes owners,ours is french reg by the way that many are afraid to stay in the south of France since the Nice terrorist attacks and feel safer in Spain and Portugal.
Sorry to the Wild campers but I am happy to use my ACSI book and pay €15 or so for the quiet,comfort and facilities of a nice site with maybe a bar or restaurant.
Each to their own and if they are happy with that lifestyle but what I have seen recently it won't be so easy for much longer.
No excuse whatsoever for dumping excrement anywhere other than the correct place.:eek:

Couldn't agree more (y)

Jan 29, 2014
Scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache
Exp
July 2013
10 am Monday Gnr moved all motorhomes from Praia da Falesia, photos of all documents. And told only day parking no over night.
Also stopping all motorhomes at the border Ayamonte/castro marim and giving them a leaflet that says you must only stay at desanated stops.
so if you're coming be aware.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Obviously my official advice is to avoid Portugal all together, especially if you are planning on taking spaces on "Off-Site" locations but...

...just to give some information from the other side...

Tavira has started "allowing" motorhomes back on the market carpark after "banning" them from even entering the town a couple of years ago.

At the back of Faro airport there is a super large new gravel carpark laid out nicely in different sections with a wooden walkway over to Faro beach. Obviously this is for summer beach visitors but a few vans have parked there undisturbed at this time of year.

Excellent for dropping off or picking up early morning flyers.

Excellent for plane spotters.

Armação de Pêra football club allow vans to park on their (rough) carpark for €1.50 per 24 hours. The GNR have cleared everyone off twice this year, but folk just return a couple of hours later. The club supply water and a cassette dump point in the fee.

I have just spent three nights there. The GNR have driven around regularly but no one was disturbed. It is pretty packed out now.

There are now 3 "sites" in Silves at around €5 per night but are packed out. One or two vans spend the day on the old (and now totally empty) car park. The word is they are left in peace if there is no room on the "sites".

Just saying

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Whats the situation at Albufeira? Can you pre book the aires?

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
What a very kind offer...

Alright for pies thank you very much.

PS. I will have ended my Christmas and New Year break by then and should be back at QMJ.

Wheres this?

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
Obviously my official advice is to avoid Portugal all together, especially if you are planning on taking spaces on "Off-Site" locations but...

...just to give some information from the other side...

Tavira has started "allowing" motorhomes back on the market carpark after "banning" them from even entering the town a couple of years ago.

At the back of Faro airport there is a super large new gravel carpark laid out nicely in different sections with a wooden walkway over to Faro beach. Obviously this is for summer beach visitors but a few vans have parked there undisturbed at this time of year.

Excellent for dropping off or picking up early morning flyers.

Excellent for plane spotters.

Armação de Pêra football club allow vans to park on their (rough) carpark for €1.50 per 24 hours. The GNR have cleared everyone off twice this year, but folk just return a couple of hours later. The club supply water and a cassette dump point in the fee.

I have just spent three nights there. The GNR have driven around regularly but no one was disturbed. It is pretty packed out now.

There are now 3 "sites" in Silves at around €5 per night but are packed out. One or two vans spend the day on the old (and now totally empty) car park. The word is they are left in peace if there is no room on the "sites".

Just saying

Update on Silves . GNR Did a round of the car park and strangely all the vans disappeared . GNR have been around again today . There are spaces on the site tonight .

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
QMJ = Quinta Majay, which is a small orchard, in the middle of a wood, in Central Portugal...

I suspect a search on Fun will furnish more information on the place...

Plenty info but no address :-(

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Check my profile... ;)

JJ:cool:
I did. All I've come up with is a little orchard in Quinta Majay. Oh well no fb for you then :LOL:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I did. All I've come up with is a little orchard in Quinta Majay. Oh well no fb for you then :LOL:
... time it right though and you might get to nibble his lettuces! :D

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
I really dont see the point of parking on some rough piece of ground to save a few bob. I have no problem with people using aires en route but there
are lots of tight fisted motorhomers out there (surrogate Itinerants) giving us all a bad name when for a few euros you can stay on an ACSI site and enjoy it properly.
How can this attitude help the local communities ?
No wonder the authorities are cracking down on it.
Phil

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I really dont see the point of parking on some rough piece of ground to save a few bob. I have no problem with people using aires en route but there
are lots of tight fisted motorhomers out there (surrogate Itinerants) giving us all a bad name when for a few euros you can stay on an ACSI site and enjoy it properly.
Phil

I am so sorry.

This post displays a massive lack of understanding of motorhoming off-site.

I find it extremely offensive.

Indeed... it is so offensive I suspect it is a wind up.

I would always avoid parking on a site where I might find myself next to people holding a similar attitude to the OP.

"Give us all a bad name..."

What a total pile of utter hogwash.

Deleted User
Phil

The big problem in Southern Portugal and Spain is that there are far too many motorhomes and caravans for the sites to cope with at this time of year.

In Portugal over the last few years there has been a huge increase in the number of small aires/sites with very low rates but even these are mostly full at this time of year.

I am in general anti 'freeloader' of the type that occupy carparks in towns and villages for months on end which is totally different to tourers stopping for a few days to appreciate the locale.

It is a problem at the moment but will eventually disappear as the wealthy 'baby boomers' of all nationalities die off to be replaced by the poor 'millenials' with no pensions who will be working until they drop in order to fund our lifestyle.

Deleted User
"Big problem"?

To whom?

Big problem to some residents that do not like see their car parks and beaches full of motorhomes for weeks on end, using services that they pay for, eg sewage disposal, water, refuse disposal.........

Surely even you can see that the huge number of visitors to the area that have no intention of paying towards the services that they use is a 'big problem'.......but maybe not!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Phil
I don't think you understand why people wild camp, and accusing people who don't stay on sites of being tight fisted is down right rude. If you want to stay on sites fine but don't ram them down other peoples throats, some of us just don't like sites & don't feel comfortable on them.
As been said many times we spend 10's of thousands on a Motorhome with full facilities to go and stay somewhere that expects up to pay for facilities we don't need.

I could accuse you of being a cheapskate as you use the ACSI card to get a discount and not paying the full price but I won't.:)

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I have NEVER EVER met a PORTUGESE resident complaining about motorhomers.

Plenty of little islander Brit expats though...

I'll tell you what I find offensive...

The stacks and stacks of ugly, concrete tower blocks of "holiday" flats ruining the coastline which are COMPLETELY empty at least 7 months a year.

But please don't mind me today... I am in a massive grump... even though I am parked off-site in a peaceful location, and not giving any narrow minded motorhomers a bad name...

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back