Large Family, limited finance - wanting MH! (2 Viewers)

clairebentley40

Free Member
Sep 2, 2009
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Not yet!
Hi,

Enjoying reading all the info on Motorhomefun and making endless lists of what I need to think about before buying a MH. :thumb:

We are a large family, with four children and two adults and have (unfortunately) a limited budget. :cry:

We work in the hotel industry and plan to use the MH to travel between our various jobs (probably next job will be in Morocco or Tunisia).

1. Is there a price guide for MH's and what is it called? It feels strange 'buying blind' and having no idea of what is the right price.

2. Is it possible (in your opinion) to find a MH for up to £10,000 which is 6 berth and has a fixed bed at the rear?

3. Any suggestions for MH sales in and around the Sheffield?

Would appreciate any help and advice.

Claire

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Won't even get 12 -14 .. , be lucky to get 10 mpg , that's 2.2 miles or 3.5 km per litre ..

only diesel RVs do 14 mpg or better.
Wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:Doh:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
clairebentley40

clairebentley40

Free Member
Sep 2, 2009
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Not yet!
I was hoping to get into an arguement about licensing issues and weights :)
but if you buy a large motorhome dont moan about the fuel and buy a static instead

Remember I'm new to this forum - give me a chance ::bigsmile:

and I don't like arguments :cry:

I don't want to buy a static and I'm not moaning about fuel costs - just don't think a large petrol RV is the answer to my situation.

I could always go for a smaller MH and stick the kids in a tent :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Remember I'm new to this forum - give me a chance ::bigsmile:

and I don't like arguments :cry:

I don't want to buy a static and I'm not moaning about fuel costs - just don't think a large petrol RV is the answer to my situation.

I could always go for a smaller MH and stick the kids in a tent :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

even better Claire......put the kids in a foster home :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
dont even think about tents if going to maroc or tunisia . unless they sleep naked and leave their clothes in the van +all belongings. if you have limited finance you will also want to free camp in europe i would have thought .tents not a good idea. to carry six n all your gear you will need best partof a 7.5 ton camper . may be better to think truck camper. most 3.5ton wont even carry 6 people legally. it soon adds up. think hard what you need . collect some clothes for each one of you +pots n pans etc.food water gas bottle.then weigh it all thats the way forward . then look for a vehicle that carries that much n people +some spare. 7.5 ton truck comes to my mind. 20ft box.try it you,ll be amazed how much it all weighs.

Upvote 0

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
I could always go for a smaller MH and stick the kids in a tent.
Actually would make sense.....plus your kids would undoubtedly find it more exciting than being stuck in a van.

Whatever you go for though....think very seriously about availability of parts. Make that your top priority and you won't go far wrong.

Upvote 0

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Couldn't agree more, I'm always harping on about choice of base being more important than the chintz .. but it often falls on deaf ears, it's floor plan first with the latest graphics and don't care what it's sitting on.

However in the example you cited I think the chap has been unlucky, sounds like it has been poorly maintained .. the older Fiat engines are usually very good, many an elderly Fiat engined Hymer is still going strong..

jim
This still does not explain away Fiats inability to be able to supply something as simple as a fuel cap for a vehicle just five years old Jim.

My van is sixteen years old.......but i don't have a parts/spares problem because Ford still supply. I hope this is something which Claire will bear in mind when looking around.

Upvote 0

Andy 01424

Free Member
Aug 10, 2009
Hastings East Sussex
Funster No
MH
RV soon!
Exp
0 but lived in static for 2yrs
Hot climates diesel would be better often cheaper in the EU plus with petrol in hot climates you have to remember evaporation:Sad: anway found these on eblay under 10kif your considering the RV range

Diesel

Link Removed

Link Removed

Link Removed

Petrol:Link Removed

Link Removed

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Must admit the 91 petrol one looks nice for the money :ROFLMAO: The seller only let himself down with 18 / 20 mpg :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Terry

Upvote 0

Andy 01424

Free Member
Aug 10, 2009
Hastings East Sussex
Funster No
MH
RV soon!
Exp
0 but lived in static for 2yrs
It could be true! Rolling down a big hill:ROFLMAO: i know this is out the price range but found this ,nice interior referb:Smile:
Link Removed

mind you another way round all this would be is to buy an old coach and do your own conversion

Last edited:
Upvote 0

deborah

Free Member
Aug 30, 2008
Ashbourne
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
4 years
How about a smaller motorhome, safari room and 2 berth tent for the older boys

We have just been travelling for 8 months in our Niesman Bischoff Flair with our 10 yr old and 2 year old. The Camper has all the bells and whistles on and is 8m long it has seperate loo and shower, 2 tv's satellite etc.... we have had an absolute ball!! but it has been tight and on occasions tempers may have been a little fractious given the confined living space. I would definately recommend perhaps using a tent for the older children. Then it's not such a big deal. Worth also checking out the number of seatbelts etc... many older vans (including ours) only have seat belts in front seats and maybe one in a forward facing seat in the rear. We had to use the front passenger seat for the baby seat. That said it is well worth the effort - but I would really recommend a camper which you can divide off the rear sleeping area so you can have "some":thumb: privacy from small people!!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back