Free Member
Oct 9, 2015
Worcestershire and Brittany
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just starting
I want to replace the piece of hose which goes from the external filler to the fresh water tank. It looks like 40mm internal diameter. Does anyone know where I can buy this? I've spent the last hour trolling ebay and amazon but I can't find anything this big.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Wot PJ sed, pipes and valves.............. Oh and fish and plants. :LOL::LOL:

ianandkath

Free Member
Jun 4, 2015
spain/uk
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
2 years
maybe motor factors, flexible water hoses, may have to go to lorry parts factors

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
For filling , do not use hose that is not food grade ... the proper hose is supplied by

CAK tanks

SUPAFLEX 40mm BLUE FRESH WATER FILLER HOSE
H4SB
Product Code: H4SB
Brand: C.A.K. Tanks
Condition: New
MPN: H4SB
£5.50

http://www.leisurelines.net/supaflex-40mm-blue-fresh-water-filler-hose-295-p.asp

40mm-cak-supaflex-blue-fill-hose-295-p[ekm]288x226[ekm].jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Caravan supply shops often have water hose. I've bought some of Broken Link Removed from our local one in the past.

Pond supplier hose tends to be cheaper but is more suited to waste outlets than fresh water.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Caravan supply shops often have water hose. I've bought some of Broken Link Removed from our local one in the past.

Pond supplier hose tends to be cheaper but is more suited to waste outlets than fresh water.
Thats good stuff I use it for my grey waste extension. On the shelf at Brownhills about £5.50
CA_03161412533590-L.jpg

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
OP
OP
mustaphapint

mustaphapint

Free Member
Oct 9, 2015
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just starting
Thanks for the replies. We've found a supplier on eBay which advertises 38mm (which will probably do) but it's a right pain trolling through thousands of listings and having to go into each one to find that rarely do they go above 25mm.

OP
OP
mustaphapint

mustaphapint

Free Member
Oct 9, 2015
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just starting
Just seen the last few posts before my reply above. Thank you very much. I was after food grade to start with but I was beginning to despair of ever finding any.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I would check the diameter before ordering. If you need 40mm 38 won't fit.
The stuff @GJH linked to is specifically for filling fresh water tanks and smooth bore.
Pretty sure its the same stuff as Jim posted but transparent Superflex

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Personal choice Jim.
I have never used food grade anything.

your choice John... carry on..

I was in the food and drinks industry for many years and there are plenty of good reasons for using food grade plastics when storing or transporting food and drink.

Strict requirements apply to drinking-water and food-grade hoses and tanks..

They must be tasteless and odourless and must be resistant against the medium being transported while
at the same time meeting strict hygienic standards. Some plastics can leach carcinogenic chemicals..

They should be smooth bore and opaque to prevent bacterial or algae build up and also have anti bacterial properties..

The filling hose in question may be in service for many many years.. 20 or more.. So why would you fit hose that is non food grade and risk contamination from the plastic and or bacterial build up.. ?

Copied http://modernsurvivalblog.com/preps/safe-plastics-for-food-and-drink/

Plastics Generally Considered Safe for Food and Drink
  • #2 HDPE (high density polyethylene) *see note below
  • #4 LDPE (low density polyethylene)
  • #5 PP (polypropylene)

Plastic Water Bottle or Soft Drink Container
Nalgene Tritan Wide Mouth BPA-Free Water Bottle

• #1 PETE (polyethylene terephthalate) typical water, soda, and juice bottles, not designed for reuse or storage due to the possibility of bacterial buildup, be sure to properly clean them if reusing.

Risky Plastics Not Safe for Food and Drink
These may leach or have hazardous ingredients.

• #3 PVC (polyvinyl chloride) carcinogens during manufacture and incineration
  • #6 PS (polystyrene) possible carcinogen
  • #7 other (usually polycarbonate, sometimes labeled PC) may leach BPA (Bisphenol-A)

Last edited:

unimog

Free Member
May 11, 2014
In the doghouse
Funster No
MH
Mercedes unimog 1300L
Exp
2 years
Seeing that you live in Worcestershire Hose Tech might be worth a visit as they are based in Hereford .They have a large selection of hose in stock Broken Link Removed and are very helpful
Mike

Dec 2, 2010
Hollywood, Birmingham.
Funster No
MH
A Class Laika
Exp
Since 2011
In addition, I had black algae contamination on grey hose used on my panel van. The hose was also convoluted making an ldeal area for algal growth. Bought replacement blue food grade smooth bore from CAK tanks. No more black bits in the water.

OP
OP
mustaphapint

mustaphapint

Free Member
Oct 9, 2015
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just starting
I've no idea if the hose I am replacing is food grade or not but it looks like it could have been in place for the whole 18 years. It is coated on the inside with horrible black slime. It will be replaced with food grade.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
The stuff @GJH linked to is specifically for filling fresh water tanks and smooth bore.
Pretty sure its the same stuff as Jim posted but transparent Superflex

I emailed the seller and asked what make and if it was food grade hose and to what specification.. .. this is the reply..

"this is water hose, and no paperwork"

so while it may be excellent 'water hose' ideal for dumping waste, if it doesn't have 'paperwork' (sellers' words) it can't be classed as food grade and it is not Superfex.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
My hose in the Rapido is like the one I use in my earlier picture and food grade
I prefer clear to blue as you can see if it's dirty and mine at 8 yrs old still looks clear
Blue is all very well as a colour code but food grade is food grade no matter what.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Maybe someone can track it down?
This is what brown hills sell.
FG food grade perhaps?

This is a very much heavier duty pipe than the CAK tanks one which seems to have quite a thin sidewall despite the reinforcement. You won't get through this without a hacksaw
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Last edited:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I emailed the seller and asked what make and if it was food grade hose and to what specification.. .. this is the reply..

"this is water hose, and no paperwork"

so while it may be excellent 'water hose' ideal for dumping waste, if it doesn't have 'paperwork' (sellers' words) it can't be classed as food grade and it is not Superfex.
Just an example of a seller who doesn't know much about what he is selling Jim.

The stuff that I linked to is the same as was fitted originally to our Autoquest and other Elddis/Compass models of the time.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Just an example of a seller who doesn't know much about what he is selling Jim.

probably.. but if they don't know, I have assume it's not food grade.

Not in reply to Graham's' quote.. just a general comment on food grade hoses

consider this scenario..

You go into your favourite local boozer and get chatting with the landlord.. he tells you he has had to replace all his draught beer hoses but has saved a right few bob by using garden hose rather than the proper food grade hoses designed for beer .. :rolleyes:
Do you drink up, congratulate him on saving money, and ask for another pint... or leave .. no brainer..

Would anyone on here buy a caravan or motorhome knowing that the water system had been piped up with garden hose ?
nope.. but yet some still insist that there is nothing wrong with using non food grade hose to fill up with .. It's done them no harm they cry.. used it for 20 years no ill effects.. well, not yet .. it can take many years for symptoms to show... a bit like saying I smoke 40 a day and haven't died yet...

Asbestosis can take around 10 – 20 years from when you were first exposed to asbestos until it is detected.

while food grade cost a little extra, it's small beer in the grand scheme of things.. they spend £***k on a motorhome and yet buy cheap garden PVC hose to fill it up with.. makes no sense.

Last edited:
Reactions: GJH

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
probably.. but if they don't know, I have assume it's not food grade.

consider this scenario..

You go into your favourite local boozer and get chatting with the landlord.. he tells you he has had to replace all his draught beer hoses but has saved a right few bob by using garden hose rather than the proper food grade hoses designed for beer .. :rolleyes:
Do you drink up, congratulate him on saving money, and ask for another pint... or leave .. no brainer..

Would anyone on here buy a caravan or motorhome knowing that the water system had been piped up with garden hose ?
nope.. but yet some still insist that there is nothing wrong with using non food grade hose to fill up with .. It's done them no harm they cry.. used it for 20 years no ill effects.. well, not yet .. it can take many years for symptoms to show... a bit like saying I smoke 40 a day and haven't died yet...

Asbestosis can take around 10 – 20 years from when you were first exposed to asbestos until it is detected.

while food grade cost a little extra, it's small beer in the grand scheme of things.. they spend £***k on a motorhome and yet buy cheap garden PVC hose to fill it up with.. makes no sense.
I don't disagree with you Jim. The only point I was making was that I put the link in knowing it was the same as Explorer Group installed in their vans.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I don't disagree with you Jim. The only point I was making was that I put the link in knowing it was the same as Explorer Group installed in their vans.

yes.. understood that .. sorry, no inference meant.

my "scenario" was a general comment on the topic of 'food grade' hoses and not in reply to your post. .. have edited to clarify that point.

Reactions: GJH

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Maybe someone can track it down?
This is what brown hills sell.
FG food grade perhaps?

This is a very much heavier duty pipe than the CAK tanks one which seems to have quite a thin sidewall despite the reinforcement. You won't get through this without a hacksaw
View attachment 97989 View attachment 97990
I have 2 metres of this. Anyone going to Chester who wants it? £12 but say NOW before I leave Leeds

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back