Laptops

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Landy lover, Dec 5, 2010.

1. Landy lover

Landy lover Funster

I need a new laptop and went to PC World and had a mooch about - most of the assistants are about as much use as a chocolate teapot - unless you know exactly what you want they try and tell you what they think you want.

My current laptop is about 6 years old and is fading away and the systems are old technology and we us it a lot so dont want one bigger than a 12 inch screen need about min 250gb hard drive - about 2 or 3gb memory and ideally a 12 inch screen - have been told no dont do that small - go larger or go smaller to a notebook but notebooks are very limited in space - been told no demand - thats rubbish - I want one so there is a demand:Eeek:

So the question is - Dell does one what are they like - any Dell users out there can guide me - I know most Government Departments use them

Is there any other 12 inch lappys on the market these days

All comments appreciated

2. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Jan, my better half , has a Dell Inspiron 6400 , now almost four years old and has been great.. never had a problem .. well, apart from it having Windows Vista :RollEyes: ,... so if your happy with Windoze .. Dell :thumb:

BUT.. she wants to have a Mac like mine .. so I'm saving up for a new one so she can have my old one :Rofl1:

I thought that fair .. :BigGrin:

3. 400ixl

400ixl Read Only Funster

Dell are a reasonable brand. Have a couple of them here, along with an
    HP and an Acer Netbook.

12" isn't that common a size any more, but modern 13.1" laptops are no bigger in overall size than the older 12" ones as the bezels tend to be smaller. So I wouldn't rule out one of that size.

What are the priorities for what you need? Is it something for just browsing the net, watching movies, or will games be placed, photo's manipulated? Also, what sort of battery life are you looking for?

Finally what sort of price range is your budget going to cover?

4. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

Iv'e got a 14" Hewlett Packard 3gb ram 160gb hd web cam etc, good bit of kit.Its almost 3 years old and when I replace its another Hewlett Packard.

5. JJ

JJ Funster

I know I am stupid in this matter and I know that I have wasted money on "The Brand" but...

...my Sony Vaio (VGN-TZ31VN) had everything I was looking for in a laptop for the Wagon.

It came with everything I wanted...

webcam, microphone, speakers,(Instant Skyping)...

video, dvd writer,

finger print recognition (great for weak memories),

long, long battery life (one of its most useful features),

mulitple card readers built in,

internal slot for a sim card for mobile internet (no dongle needed)

very light and compact... the list goes on and on.

Yes it was expensive and no doubt had I spent longer searching I might have found something similar for less (I only searched for a couple of weeks) but it is the third light, small sized Vaio I have had and it is brilliant (as were the other two).

I have heard from many that Dell computers are excellent too

JJ

Attached Files:

6. lunarman

lunarman Funster

Is it so light that you need the book to stop the screen from tilting it over jj :Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

7. JJ

JJ Funster

... I thought I would put a dvd there to show its size John... please pay attention or it will be the naughty corner for you :Rofl1:

JJ

(Sons of Anarchy season 1)

8. Landy lover

Landy lover Funster

That is a very good point about bezel size - never gave it a thought the overall size of the Advent I have at the moment is 11 7/8 inchs by 8 7/8 inch and 1 1/8 deep - would be happy not to exceed that by much - it is used as a business machine a lot of the time doing sales and financial budgeting it. Window 7 does not worry me it is a far more stable platform than Vista. Never watch movies on it - always on the web for one thing or another - never play games on it photos and desktop publishing yes. Budget as with most will pay what I need to but 'I parts with me money slowly and carefully' some say I am tight but I only squeak when I walk.:Eeek:

the answers very much appreciated folks new there were some knowledgable people on here :thumb:

9. wizzer59

wizzer59 Funster

10. 400ixl

400ixl Read Only Funster

Only problem with Sony is they tend to not use standard components. Whilst many parts may be standard, the tend to mount them on odd shaped boards with proprietary wiring.

Means that parts can be expensive and awkward to get hold of.

On the whole mainly reliable though.

11. ninjayorkies

ninjayorkies Read Only Funster

I borrowed an old Dell laptop from a friend who works in IT when my computer died and I loved it even though it was a brick. When it came to buying my own she said either to go for Dell or Hewlett Packard so I got a Toshiba which at just over a year old has been a right pain in the butt. The fact that it came with Windows Vista made it as much use as a chocolate teapot but hpdated now though still has it's hissy fit moments.:Doh:

12. JJ

JJ Funster

No doubt true 400ixl but I have owned 4 Sony Vaio computers (1 desktop and 3 laptops) and have never had a any trouble with them so I don't know about parts...

JJ :thumb:

Ps... I wish I hadn't posted that... "Sod's Law" strikes now no doubt?

13. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

you dont really watch that drivel do you JJ :Eeek:

14. 400ixl

400ixl Read Only Funster

HP Pavilion dm3-1155ea Entertainment Laptop PC

Featuring Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium for a superior digital entertainment experience
    An AMD Neo X2 Dual Core processor for multitasking and everyday computing
    4 GB memory for top system performance
    250 GB Hard Drive for storing all your digital files
    A 13.3" High Definition BrightView LED display
    The latest ATI Mobility Radeon HD4330 graphics technology
    Finished in a stylish brushed aluminum
    Create silkscreen-quality disc labels with LightScribe, watch movies and more with the Double Layer SuperMulti DVD±RW
    1 year, pick-up and return, warranty.
    Featuring wireless networking, bluetooth and a webcam, ideal for social networking and communications
    Up to 10 hours battery life

Would something like this suffice? I can buy them as an HP employee for around £439 delivered and can I believe (not tried it yet) get a similar price for friends and family. Let me know if you want me to look into it.

15. aba

aba

find yourself an apple store and have a play with a 13" macbook ok they're expensive but don't knock it off your list without trying and in an apple store the assistants will help even after you've bought one:thumb:

andy

16. grumps147

grumps147 Funster

Experience is mainly with Dell for works purposes. In and out of boot, used on the street, literally, generally abused with scratches where i am too lazy to bag and boot it and i slide it under passenger seat to get to next street point.
    If you can , get extra battery provision, not an extra battery, they do a permanent extra battery on some machines. Had one keyboard go and being business it was covered on Dell callout. Engineer came next day, 1 hour to fit and have cup of tea.

At home I use a Fujitsu laptop from PC World - same useless assistants as others had mentioned - tried to con me into extra warranty by saying my rights as a purchaser did not apply to the screen - toe rags. But it was cheap and does what I need for home.

hope this is of some use

17. jenny and mitch

jenny and mitch Funster

Got to agree with ABA go to the apple store and look at the MacBook Pro, even more memory fast as greased weasel droppings , but the price will make you scream not squeek, but you cant take it with you .

Mitch

18. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

When you decide, look at John Lewis for purchasing, they offer a free two year warranty on all laptops including Apple Macs .. and the staff are very knowledgeable.

19. sedge

sedge Funster

But surely if his business runs on Windoze, how would he tfr all his progs and essential info to Mac? Or can Mac do all the same things as Windows these days?

20. 400ixl

400ixl Read Only Funster

The Mac can do all the basics that Windows can. Spreadsheets etc. But does not have the full breadth of software that is available for the PC.

So if you do use any software then you do indeed need to check compatibility.