LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
I need a new laptop and went to PC World and had a mooch about - most of the assistants are about as much use as a chocolate teapot - unless you know exactly what you want they try and tell you what they think you want.

My current laptop is about 6 years old and is fading away and the systems are old technology and we us it a lot so dont want one bigger than a 12 inch screen need about min 250gb hard drive - about 2 or 3gb memory and ideally a 12 inch screen - have been told no dont do that small - go larger or go smaller to a notebook but notebooks are very limited in space - been told no demand - thats rubbish - I want one so there is a demand:Eeek:

So the question is - Dell does one what are they like - any Dell users out there can guide me - I know most Government Departments use them

Is there any other 12 inch lappys on the market these days

All comments appreciated

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Jan, my better half , has a Dell Inspiron 6400 , now almost four years old and has been great.. never had a problem .. well, apart from it having Windows Vista :RollEyes: ,... so if your happy with Windoze .. Dell :thumb:

BUT.. she wants to have a Mac like mine .. so I'm saving up for a new one so she can have my old one :ROFLMAO:

I thought that fair .. ::bigsmile:

400ixl

Free Member
Sep 14, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt High
Exp
3 years
Dell are a reasonable brand. Have a couple of them here, along with an
HP and an Acer Netbook.

12" isn't that common a size any more, but modern 13.1" laptops are no bigger in overall size than the older 12" ones as the bezels tend to be smaller. So I wouldn't rule out one of that size.

What are the priorities for what you need? Is it something for just browsing the net, watching movies, or will games be placed, photo's manipulated? Also, what sort of battery life are you looking for?

Finally what sort of price range is your budget going to cover?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Iv'e got a 14" Hewlett Packard 3gb ram 160gb hd web cam etc, good bit of kit.Its almost 3 years old and when I replace its another Hewlett Packard.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I know I am stupid in this matter and I know that I have wasted money on "The Brand" but...

...my Sony Vaio (VGN-TZ31VN) had everything I was looking for in a laptop for the Wagon.

It came with everything I wanted...

webcam, microphone, speakers,(Instant Skyping)...

video, dvd writer,

finger print recognition (great for weak memories),

long, long battery life (one of its most useful features),

mulitple card readers built in,

internal slot for a sim card for mobile internet (no dongle needed)

very light and compact... the list goes on and on.

Yes it was expensive and no doubt had I spent longer searching I might have found something similar for less (I only searched for a couple of weeks) but it is the third light, small sized Vaio I have had and it is brilliant (as were the other two).

I have heard from many that Dell computers are excellent too

JJ

Attachments

• my sony vaio.jpg
    my sony vaio.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 104

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
Is it so light that you need the book to stop the screen from tilting it over jj :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
Landy lover

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
Dell are a reasonable brand. Have a couple of them here, along with an
HP and an Acer Netbook.

12" isn't that common a size any more, but modern 13.1" laptops are no bigger in overall size than the older 12" ones as the bezels tend to be smaller. So I wouldn't rule out one of that size.

What are the priorities for what you need? Is it something for just browsing the net, watching movies, or will games be placed, photo's manipulated? Also, what sort of battery life are you looking for?

Finally what sort of price range is your budget going to cover?

That is a very good point about bezel size - never gave it a thought the overall size of the Advent I have at the moment is 11 7/8 inchs by 8 7/8 inch and 1 1/8 deep - would be happy not to exceed that by much - it is used as a business machine a lot of the time doing sales and financial budgeting it. Window 7 does not worry me it is a far more stable platform than Vista. Never watch movies on it - always on the web for one thing or another - never play games on it photos and desktop publishing yes. Budget as with most will pay what I need to but 'I parts with me money slowly and carefully' some say I am tight but I only squeak when I walk.:Eeek:

the answers very much appreciated folks new there were some knowledgable people on here :thumb:

400ixl

Free Member
Sep 14, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt High
Exp
3 years
Only problem with Sony is they tend to not use standard components. Whilst many parts may be standard, the tend to mount them on odd shaped boards with proprietary wiring.

Means that parts can be expensive and awkward to get hold of.

On the whole mainly reliable though.

ninjayorkies

Free Member
Mar 28, 2010
Lutterworth
Funster No
MH
A Beastie
Exp
Since July 2010
I borrowed an old Dell laptop from a friend who works in IT when my computer died and I loved it even though it was a brick. When it came to buying my own she said either to go for Dell or Hewlett Packard so I got a Toshiba which at just over a year old has been a right pain in the butt. The fact that it came with Windows Vista made it as much use as a chocolate teapot but hpdated now though still has it's hissy fit moments.:Doh:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Only problem with Sony is they tend to not use standard components. Whilst many parts may be standard, the tend to mount them on odd shaped boards with proprietary wiring.

Means that parts can be expensive and awkward to get hold of.

On the whole mainly reliable though.

No doubt true 400ixl but I have owned 4 Sony Vaio computers (1 desktop and 3 laptops) and have never had a any trouble with them so I don't know about parts...

JJ :thumb:

Ps... I wish I hadn't posted that... "Sod's Law" strikes now no doubt?

400ixl

Free Member
Sep 14, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt High
Exp
3 years
HP Pavilion dm3-1155ea Entertainment Laptop PC

Featuring Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium for a superior digital entertainment experience
An AMD Neo X2 Dual Core processor for multitasking and everyday computing
4 GB memory for top system performance
250 GB Hard Drive for storing all your digital files
A 13.3" High Definition BrightView LED display
The latest ATI Mobility Radeon HD4330 graphics technology
Finished in a stylish brushed aluminum
Create silkscreen-quality disc labels with LightScribe, watch movies and more with the Double Layer SuperMulti DVD±RW
1 year, pick-up and return, warranty.
Featuring wireless networking, bluetooth and a webcam, ideal for social networking and communications
Up to 10 hours battery life

Would something like this suffice? I can buy them as an HP employee for around £439 delivered and can I believe (not tried it yet) get a similar price for friends and family. Let me know if you want me to look into it.

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
find yourself an apple store and have a play with a 13" macbook ok they're expensive but don't knock it off your list without trying and in an apple store the assistants will help even after you've bought one:thumb:

andy

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
Experience is mainly with Dell for works purposes. In and out of boot, used on the street, literally, generally abused with scratches where i am too lazy to bag and boot it and i slide it under passenger seat to get to next street point.
If you can , get extra battery provision, not an extra battery, they do a permanent extra battery on some machines. Had one keyboard go and being business it was covered on Dell callout. Engineer came next day, 1 hour to fit and have cup of tea.

At home I use a Fujitsu laptop from PC World - same useless assistants as others had mentioned - tried to con me into extra warranty by saying my rights as a purchaser did not apply to the screen - toe rags. But it was cheap and does what I need for home.

hope this is of some use

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Got to agree with ABA go to the apple store and look at the MacBook Pro, even more memory fast as greased weasel droppings , but the price will make you scream not squeek, but you cant take it with you .

Mitch

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
When you decide, look at John Lewis for purchasing, they offer a free two year warranty on all laptops including Apple Macs .. and the staff are very knowledgeable.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
But surely if his business runs on Windoze, how would he tfr all his progs and essential info to Mac? Or can Mac do all the same things as Windows these days?

400ixl

Free Member
Sep 14, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt High
Exp
3 years
The Mac can do all the basics that Windows can. Spreadsheets etc. But does not have the full breadth of software that is available for the PC.

So if you do use any software then you do indeed need to check compatibility.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
can Mac do all the same things as Windows these days?

I sincerely hope not.. :winky:

who needs the blue screen of death and all the hassle, viruses etc etc etc.. :RollEyes:

If you really need to, you can run Windoze software on all new Macs .. :thumb:

MrJinks

Free Member
Sep 1, 2008
Dorchester, Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class RV
Exp
6 years
Mrs Jinks has had a Dell laptop for over a year. I cant really say whether it is better/worse than others. It must be pretty robust as it has young grandchildren playing games on it every week and Mrs Jinks is not the most gentle of users......:active:

However it didn't survive being knocked off the table while away in Spain last month. The smashed screen was repaired by Currys under their £6.99 pm warranty with TechGuys. Never normally bother with warranties but this one was as good as their word. Repairs any thing including accidental damage.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
you dont really watch that drivel do you JJ :Eeek:

one man's drivel is another man's ..........

I bet there is stuff you enjoy that I wouldn't...

... but I promise not to judge you on your tastes... :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

JJ :Cool:

(unless you support the lowlife from Salford... :winky: :winky:)

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
4 months ago I renewed my laptop as you the old vaio was getting a bit long in the tooth. I wanted something thin light and small with a decent battery life. Had a good look around for several weeks and settled on an Acer Aspire Timeline X 4820T.

Absolutely no regrets cost me £600 in July, it has a 14" screen but looks smaller, battery life at 8 hours is great if wilding it is very thin and very light (2 kg I think) I've just googled and PC world have it on a special :Eeek:

Link Removed

Stewart :thumb:

alcorn54

Free Member
Nov 21, 2010
Co Durham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
4 months ago I renewed my laptop as you the old vaio was getting a bit long in the tooth. I wanted something thin light and small with a decent battery life. Had a good look around for several weeks and settled on an Acer Aspire Timeline X 4820T.

Absolutely no regrets cost me £600 in July, it has a 14" screen but looks smaller, battery life at 8 hours is great if wilding it is very thin and very light (2 kg I think) I've just googled and PC world have it on a special :Eeek:

Link Removed

Stewart :thumb:
Totally agree I have an acer lap top but with an 18" screen blue ray ,fantastic value very high spec :thumb::thumb:

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
I havn't read the whole post so if answered sorry,

We have 10 Dell inspirons approx 4 years old they are abused sorry used by trainees and have held up well.

We have another six Dells used by staff only ever had software issues.

I have 1 Dell which we run the smart board off and have just retired at 10 years old (this was my first lap top)

The directors have Dell Vostro's about 2 years old.

What I like about Dell is I can up or down spec the computer to my requirements and usually there is a deal on delivery.

Dislikes you are stuck with spares from Dell although I havn't needed any thing but batteries and these do not need to be from Dell.

Hope this helps Rick.

400ixl

Free Member
Sep 14, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt High
Exp
3 years
Main thing to be wary of with Acer and Asus is the build quality can be a little suspect at times. But for price vs features they are very good.

For robustness I would go with Lenovo (formerly IBM), then HP, followed by Dell, then Acer and Samsung. Steer clear really of Toshiba laptops.

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
if your getting a shinny new laptop, why not protect it one of my two laptop locks in the charity auction....lot 16

BLATANT ADVERT MODE OFF::Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back