Laptops and magnets

Discussion in 'Computers' started by MikeandCarolyn, Jan 24, 2011.

1. MikeandCarolyn

MikeandCarolyn Read Only Funster

I recently bought a Dell Inspiron from the Dell Outlet-it was £300 below what it should have been for the spec I got :Smile:
    It was great for about 3 days,but then it the screen started going black and it went into 'lock' mode at random times whenever I was using the keyboard.It also lost internet and I had to use the Power button to get it going again.
    After a long phone call Dell sent a technician round and he changed the motherboard and the wi-fi card. 2 days after he'd gone the screen went black again-but this time only for about 2 secs,then it went back to normal. On the phone Dell flashed the bios,but after a couple of days the problem returned.
    Whilst on the phone to Dell the lady I was talking to asked me to 'hold' whilst she conferred with her supervisor.When she came back she asked if there were any magnets near the laptop-:Doh: oops-I wear a magnetic bracelet for arthritic pains (it does actually seem to work)
    I took the bracelet off and the problems went :Rofl1: Only snag was,that after 3 days I started to get pains in my hands again and a slight neck ache.
    I now remove bracelet if I use laptop-simples :thumb:
    Hope this may be of some use to someone else.
    Mike.

2. Douglas

Douglas Read Only Funster

That's useful, I always believed that it was only CRT that was effected by magnetism but not the flat screens.

Doug...

3. MikeandCarolyn

MikeandCarolyn Read Only Funster

I think it was the mobo that was affected-it only happened when I used keyboard and my wrist was close to the keys and also right above where the wi-fi card is.

Mike.

4. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Useful to know. I've worn a Bioflow magnet bracelet for several years. Never had a problem with any type of computer I've used but now I'll know what to check if I do :Smile: