Laptop replacement HELP please (1 Viewer)

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
After using a small laptop for our internet communication for the last 5 years her indoors has decided to upgrade to something a bit more modern. I have used computers for my work since 1979 but as far as keeping upto date with technology, I haven't.
We use a small Icer when away with a Vodafone Timeless Dongle. This has proved ideal and reception is never a problem with the running costs negligable.
I need to know, from all you switched on funsters what you would recommend. We only use the Laptop for talking to yourselves, checking our email, browsing various sites and photo storage. My intention is to keep the existing dongle for internet access. We would like a small device, possibly an Android but not sure.
Before you spend my money please remember I am nearly a pensioner and my Motorhome Fun subs are due shortly, I have a motorhome to run and enjoy holidays.
Thanks in anticipation from you all.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Mac Book Air. Excellent and compact.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
If it's basic communicating, web browsing, and photo storage I'd suggest a netbook with a decent sized hard disc drive. Only drawback is they're compact and their screens can be small, but you should be able to link it to your MH TV screen for photo/video viewing if both devices have the right sockets.

Apple Macs are powerful and slick but costly - I've got one and it cost twice as much as the equivalent Windows laptop. Also you have to re-learn how to work with them as they're not the same as Windows-based computers.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Killjoy to do what you want try a Tablet:thumb: you will not regret it
Terry

tadpole

Free Member
Jun 5, 2012
Tadcaster
Funster No
MH
ex transit ambulance
Exp
I'm a newbie
why upgrade if your existing set-up does everything you need?

"this has proved ideal" is what you said!

OP
OP
wiljoy
May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
why upgrade if your existing set-up does everything you need?

"this has proved ideal" is what you said!

I am happy with our present laptop but you know woman, they like to modernise. I'm pretty lucky, or not, to have survived 41 years with her not upgrading me. Thanks

ojibway

Free Member
Jul 17, 2012
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005
Annie recently got an iPad. I can't get her off it:ROFLMAO:
It's great but I like my laptop - a 17" Toshiba. Good for photo editing (photoshop) and other graphics'design programs. And for watching films - which we always intend to do but hardly ever do!:Cool:
Mike and Annie

sampain

Free Member
Sep 1, 2012
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
I would go for an android tablet (one of the generic type for around £150) that has a slot for SD expansion.
This way you can store your piccys on SD cards and when full, keep them safe and pop in a new one.
I have a Motorola Xoom and my wife has an iPad 2 and while hers is very slick to operate, it is really hard to connect to other things and do the sort of things you would do on a normal PC.
I would look at a company like eBuyer or even go onto www.hotukdeals.co.uk, where these sorts of tablets are discussed quite often.

Feb 9, 2011
Lytham
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
I got a new laptop last november and the wife and kids got me a tablet for christmas. For internet browsing the tablet is far better in my opinion and you can use kindle on it if you wish. I only use the laptop for work as i think there to bulky.

Dave

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I have one of the Blackberry playbooks £129 for 64GB device. Love it. Quite a few on here have bought one since Scotties recommended it.

However I could not survive without my laptop for some stuff.

If you got a playbook and kept your current laptop you would have the best of both worlds. I would however get an unlocked MiFi device so you could use both at the same time. (£50-60 on ebay)

tick59

Free Member
Dec 25, 2007
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
"Since 2005"
After using a small laptop for our internet communication for the last 5 years her indoors has decided to upgrade to something a bit more modern. I have used computers for my work since 1979 but as far as keeping upto date with technology, I haven't.
We use a small Icer when away with a Vodafone Timeless Dongle. This has proved ideal and reception is never a problem with the running costs negligable.
I need to know, from all you switched on funsters what you would recommend. We only use the Laptop for talking to yourselves, checking our email, browsing various sites and photo storage. My intention is to keep the existing dongle for internet access. We would like a small device, possibly an Android but not sure.
Before you spend my money please remember I am nearly a pensioner and my Motorhome Fun subs are due shortly, I have a motorhome to run and enjoy holidays.
Thanks in anticipation from you all.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Had my laptop since 2000 it is an old TIME model and cost £1000 new it still does everthing i need it to do. The wife and i were in PC world the other day and she wanted me to get a new one on this new Leasing Contract where you hire the PC and get a new one every two years. the PC price was £259. over two years £504. NEVER LISTEN TO A WOMAN THEY HAVE AN EXTRA RIB WHICH IS THE SHOPPING BONE AND IT COSTS US BLOKES A BLOODY FORTUNE KEEP YOUR MONEY IN YOUR POCKET MATE!!!!

OP
OP
wiljoy
May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Had my laptop since 2000 it is an old TIME model and cost £1000 new it still does everthing i need it to do. The wife and i were in PC world the other day and she wanted me to get a new one on this new Leasing Contract where you hire the PC and get a new one every two years. the PC price was £259. over two years £504. NEVER LISTEN TO A WOMAN THEY HAVE AN EXTRA RIB WHICH IS THE SHOPPING BONE AND IT COSTS US BLOKES A BLOODY FORTUNE KEEP YOUR MONEY IN YOUR POCKET MATE!!!!

We both live to close to The Metro Centre. Thanks for the warning. My other half sounds like the same model as yours, thirsty to run and depreciates so much I cannot trade her in.
Wilf

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back