Laptop replacement HELP please

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by wiljoy, Sep 7, 2012.

1. wiljoy

wiljoy Funster

After using a small laptop for our internet communication for the last 5 years her indoors has decided to upgrade to something a bit more modern. I have used computers for my work since 1979 but as far as keeping upto date with technology, I haven't.
    We use a small Icer when away with a Vodafone Timeless Dongle. This has proved ideal and reception is never a problem with the running costs negligable.
    I need to know, from all you switched on funsters what you would recommend. We only use the Laptop for talking to yourselves, checking our email, browsing various sites and photo storage. My intention is to keep the existing dongle for internet access. We would like a small device, possibly an Android but not sure.
    Before you spend my money please remember I am nearly a pensioner and my Motorhome Fun subs are due shortly, I have a motorhome to run and enjoy holidays.
    Thanks in anticipation from you all.

• Like Like x 1
  2. busby

busby Funster

Mac Book Air. Excellent and compact.

3. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

If it's basic communicating, web browsing, and photo storage I'd suggest a netbook with a decent sized hard disc drive. Only drawback is they're compact and their screens can be small, but you should be able to link it to your MH TV screen for photo/video viewing if both devices have the right sockets.

Apple Macs are powerful and slick but costly - I've got one and it cost twice as much as the equivalent Windows laptop. Also you have to re-learn how to work with them as they're not the same as Windows-based computers.

4. Terry

Terry Funster

Hi Killjoy to do what you want try a Tablet:thumb: you will not regret it
    Terry

5. tadpole

tadpole Read Only Funster

why upgrade if your existing set-up does everything you need?

"this has proved ideal" is what you said!

6. wiljoy

wiljoy Funster

I am happy with our present laptop but you know woman, they like to modernise. I'm pretty lucky, or not, to have survived 41 years with her not upgrading me. Thanks

7. ojibway

ojibway Funster

Annie recently got an iPad. I can't get her off it:Rofl1:
    It's great but I like my laptop - a 17" Toshiba. Good for photo editing (photoshop) and other graphics'design programs. And for watching films - which we always intend to do but hardly ever do!:Cool:
    Mike and Annie

8. scholesman

scholesman Funster

Get an I Pad --Awesome!

9. sampain

sampain Read Only Funster

I would go for an android tablet (one of the generic type for around £150) that has a slot for SD expansion.
    This way you can store your piccys on SD cards and when full, keep them safe and pop in a new one.
    I have a Motorola Xoom and my wife has an iPad 2 and while hers is very slick to operate, it is really hard to connect to other things and do the sort of things you would do on a normal PC.
    I would look at a company like eBuyer or even go onto www.hotukdeals.co.uk, where these sorts of tablets are discussed quite often.

10. jenny and mitch

jenny and mitch Funster

Laptop suggestion

Got to be an apple Mac Book Pro. No other laptop comes close. Yours Mitch.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Sloany

Sloany Read Only Funster

I got a new laptop last november and the wife and kids got me a tablet for christmas. For internet browsing the tablet is far better in my opinion and you can use kindle on it if you wish. I only use the laptop for work as i think there to bulky.

Dave

• Like Like x 1
  12. Gromett

Gromett Funster

I have one of the Blackberry playbooks £129 for 64GB device. Love it. Quite a few on here have bought one since Scotties recommended it.

However I could not survive without my laptop for some stuff.

If you got a playbook and kept your current laptop you would have the best of both worlds. I would however get an unlocked MiFi device so you could use both at the same time. (£50-60 on ebay)

13. tick59

tick59 Funster

:Rofl1::Rofl1:
    Had my laptop since 2000 it is an old TIME model and cost £1000 new it still does everthing i need it to do. The wife and i were in PC world the other day and she wanted me to get a new one on this new Leasing Contract where you hire the PC and get a new one every two years. the PC price was £259. over two years £504. NEVER LISTEN TO A WOMAN THEY HAVE AN EXTRA RIB WHICH IS THE SHOPPING BONE AND IT COSTS US BLOKES A BLOODY FORTUNE KEEP YOUR MONEY IN YOUR POCKET MATE!!!!

14. spitfire

spitfire Funster

Laptop re

And I pad for me too!! Even im indoors likes it and he is a techniphob !!

15. wiljoy

wiljoy Funster

We both live to close to The Metro Centre. Thanks for the warning. My other half sounds like the same model as yours, thirsty to run and depreciates so much I cannot trade her in.
    Wilf