lap top help please anyone ??

Discussion in 'Computers' started by autoswan, May 10, 2012.

1. autoswan

autoswan Funster

I use my Acer aspire when away in MH but lately its playing up !

getting hot never this hot previously . Ive had back off cleaned fan etc but not helping ?

when i turn it on it takes longer than normal to come on and i get message BHO.DLL was not found re-installing the app may fix problem ? no idea ?

And another message , IE3SH app has stopped working windows can check on line for sollution. It doesnt and these messages come up every time i switch lap top on !!

The laptop shuts down on its own and doing it more frequently now ?
    sometimes get a time out message first ?

Ive run clean up and a put it up on bricks lol to get air under it deleted stuff to free memory but not helped, i want to avoid reset to factory settings iff poss !
    Any ideas greatly appreciated thanks.

2. Gromett

Gromett Funster

A quick google and it looks like you had/have a virus infection.
    This is possibly one of those fake virus scan ones. Where you get a pop up in a web page that looks like a proper windows dialog. You click ok and it installs itself....

If you have already cleaned it then some damage has been done. If you haven't cleaned it you need to do this asap. If you are not familiar with windows you really ought to get an professional to look at it for you.

I have cleaned these off my nephews computers manually and it's not a straight forward job..

Out of all the pages I looked through this one seems to be the most helpful if you want to have a go yourself.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/for...-exe-error-after-removing-fake-av-529648.html

3. Gromett

Gromett Funster

• Like Like x 1
  4. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

CCleaner is a very good tool for regular use in cleaning up a machine, quite apart from any cleaning of infection damage.

When sorting out the type of fake virus scan, as mentioned by Karl, in the past I've found good old Malwarebytes useful as well.

5. wivvy's dad

wivvy's dad Read Only Funster

Mine also runs a bit warm, but I picked up in TK Maxx for about a tenner one of those rests with a built in fan that certainly keeps it cool.

6. Gromett

Gromett Funster

I was linking this to clean up after the fake virus scan had been removed.
    The missing dll message appears to be a remnant of that. CCleaner will remove the links in the registery to the now deleted scanner.:thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  7. patyogi

patyogi Read Only Funster

Hot lappy

Once you fixed the program prob/glitx buy yourself a fan board about £17 from Amazon, make sure it's a USB fitting, never had the laptop run so cool.
    Especially when you are using it abroad, ambient temps don't help and the lappy machine always runs more than a trifle warm anyway.:thumb:

8. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Nice bit of kit and such a good price.

But mega dangerous and confusing in the wrong hands. Even I winced as I let it recover 1.5GB of disk space. I'm still on line.

9. Gromett

Gromett Funster

Agreed. I am an experienced system admin and I disabled loads of options due to a lack of trust.

In the OP's case I would just use the registry cleaner as that is likely to be what is causing the error messages.

The specific options he would need to use are
    Missing Shared DLL's
    Obsolete Software.

Cleaning both these should clear up the errors.

10. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

It just found some that Uniblue ( which I paid £££ for ) had missed. And I'm still on line.

He's done a great job on screen design, widen a form and he widens the fields appropriately. Quality.

11. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

Ive had experience of an acer laptop overheating... when you have sorted the software, you need to thoroughly clean the inside using compressed air. if it still runs hot, the heat sinks need to be removed cleaned and refitted using the proper thermal compound. this is obviously beyond most users, so find a good local repair shop

12. autoswan

autoswan Funster

Thanks guys i down loaded and ran ccleaner but no difference noted still same probs assuming i ran it properly clean up & registry im not a pc savy user so i will get a mate to check it out for me hoping i dont mess it up trying anything i can think of in the meantime .

none the wiser but thanks for the input guys :thumb: :helptitanic:

13. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

try opening Task Manager.... press Ctrl+Alt+Del together
    in tak manager look at the processes running under your name
    highlight and end processes for any that are not needed and hogging system resources

14. autoswan

autoswan Funster

Thanks tried that and ended all processes it would let me under my name but no different !

15. autoswan

autoswan Funster

It looks like something has happened ! and so far it hasnt got as hot and not shut down yet after over 4hours continuous use where as last night it shut down a few times with time out message within about 30mins use! maybe the things you guys told me to try have helped with that plus i deleted a load of stuff i dont really need on it .

Still getting app failed to start because BHO.DLL not found and IE3SH app stopped working messages on start up though ? :cry:iff i start deleting things i think look suss but dont fully understand then as long as i dont format my hard drive will i still be able to save stuff i may not have backed up on external HD yet ?
    and if i have to put back to factory settings the dics i copied onto when first used should reload it ? will i then lose all favourite feeds and history saved online toolbar etc ?

Thanks for any help i am out of my depth with the inner workings of pc`s
    But i am great at a lot of other things honest !!:BigGrin:

• Like Like x 1
  16. meexi

meexi Read Only Funster

Agree with Gromett, go into the tools then startup and look for any files that look out of place if any you do not recognise then disable then and reboot if this cures it then delete the file.

17. Gromett

Gromett Funster

problem is startup programs are not just in the startup folder they can be in the registry also.

You can check this out by running msconfig as an administrator. You can edit all startup programs and services easily in here. However it can still leave stuff in the registry although it probably won't do any harm.

18. wivvy's dad

wivvy's dad Read Only Funster

BTW, the TK Maxx fan thingy cost £9.99

:thumb:

19. MarquitaGeorge

MarquitaGeorge Read Only Funster

a friend of mine has the same problem (but she has asus netbook)
    i thought it was just because it's old, but i guess she should check and see if it's actually a virus
    thanks

make your own word search

20. sealski

sealski Read Only Funster

Two tools I always use when friends have asked me to help them out are

Spybot S&D (Free) & do full Scan
    Advanced Windows Care by IOBit (Free Version) & do a Deep Clean

Both are downloadable and free