Laminate flooring also generator offer

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by VMax666, Jan 8, 2010.

1. VMax666

VMax666 Read Only Funster

Looking at laminate flooring in B&Q, wondered if it was worth doing the Hymers floor to replace the carpets. Easier to clean etc. Any pros and cons?
    Also spotted a 2.5Kva generator on offer at £129.95, no weight on box but it did say 96db!! Ear plugs a must then.

VMax666

2. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

laminate flooring looks very pretty but have you checked the weight of it !!!!!

a fair chunk out of your payload.

much better with a good quality vinyl

3. wasp

wasp Funster

We took the original carpets out of our Buccaneer and bought a piece from the carpet shop used the old ones for pattern and stowed them away. This way you keep the originals and just chuck the others away when they get really filthy I am on my second set of throw aways and the only cost about £25.00.:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:
    Hope that helps Cheers RobBTW I have had the MH 5 yrs

4. M&L

M&L Read Only Funster

I would not consider laminate flooring as it would be impossible to fit and make a decent job, it's bad enough in a room at home and that's apart from the weight.
    If the existing carpet is not good then cut it out and use it as a template for another one.

Mike

5. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

Two main probs with laminated flooring are,
    1. Fit as per instructions ie leaving a gap around the edges (needed for natural expansion) and it moves opening up between the joints, and looks crap when dirt gets in between the open joint and you cant close them up again

2. Fit tight and due to expansion the joint "kiss" and buldge upwards, looks crap and poorly fitted

xperts will tell you click laminates are not suitable for Motor Vehicle instalation.
    Far better to get professionally fitted Rhino floor (H/duty vynal) in a wood effect pattern,warmer/softer too:thumb:
    Geo
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. gwnking

gwnking Read Only Funster

Our Roller Team has factory fitted vinyl looking laminate. Its ideal when its wet as the floor can be wiped and doesnt collect the dirt like carpets but I am thinking about putting some carpet down for warmth.

7. bazfergy

bazfergy Read Only Funster

Go for the vinyl,the laminate will be lumps and bumps after your first drive:thumb:

8. bigfoot

bigfoot Funster

My new Hymer,currently in build,will have a laminate vunyl floor covering and removable carpets as standard.

9. savantuk

savantuk Read Only Funster

Our Hobby has a beautiful wood laminate effect vinyl floor cover fitted from new, and very nice it looks too. A warning though, we have loose fitted carpets on top, and grit get's beneath it, we had a small hole near the fridge where a piece of grit got trapped, and punctured the surface of the vinyl.

A local carpet fitter filled the hole with coloured vinyl repair paste, and it's invisible now, but it cost £40!! Expensive bit of grit:Eeek:

10. VMax666

VMax666 Read Only Funster

Thanks for advice, had not occured to me that the laminate floors I had seen in vans was vinyl not the real thing. Currently has carpet over vinyl that looks dated and scruffy, so may sit in there one day with a cuppa and consider the options.
    VMax

11. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

if you do replace the vinyl ensure you glue the edges down well, especially in the kitchen area.

the last thing you want is any liquid, spillages etc, getting underneath and starting to stink.