Lake Garda

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by blueneil, Jun 30, 2016.

1. blueneil

blueneil Funster

Hiya all. Hoping to spend 3 weeks in Europe this summer ending up at lake Garda myself wife and two boys ( 11 14) hope to spend about 10 days at Garda and 11 getting there and back. Boys love swimming water slide ect. Any suggestions on routes 'sites. Ps not booked any sites at Garda Iam I to late?

2. PhilandMena

PhilandMena Funster

Consider Dover-Dunkerque - Luxenburg (via Lille) - Basel - Lucerne - Como - Bergano - Desenzano del Garda.
    Safe Travels

3. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

Your timings seem about right for a leisurely drive each way. Once you get there you will find that you want to stay longer. You will also find yourself going back next year (y)

Get your site booked as soon as possible. They will be full soon if they aren't already.

We're staying at Camping Cappucini in Peschiera del Garda (again). It's the only campsite in the world so far that I will willingly stay at.

I've also heard that Camping Butterfly is good but have never stayed there.

There's also Camping bella Italia which is huge and my idea of hell but leaving it this late to book they are more likely to have space than any of the smaller ones.

Route wise we just take the motorways down through France to Chamonix where we stop for a couple of days and then go through the Mont Blanc tunnel.

4. blueneil

blueneil Funster

Will be leaving last weekend in July ( bad time? )

5. blueneil

blueneil Funster

Does that route use many tolls?

6. NickNic

No but get somewhere booked as soon as possible if not sooner.

If you get really stuck then there is a big car park type aire at Peschiera but 10 days there might be pushing it.

7. NickNic

Which route?

My one has about (from memory) €20 - €25 of motorway tolls and the Mont Blanc tunnel is €54. There was one in Italy near Milan but it was insignificant, €3 or something like that.

No idea about the Phil's route other than you would need to either buy a vignette (€40) or pay the HVF (€32.50) depending on your weight for the Switzerland part of the journey.

• Like Like x 1
  8. blueneil

blueneil Funster

Cheers nick. Sounds good advice

9. ukbill

ukbill Funster

expect heat heat heat lol

10. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

Numerous queries and responses re Lake Garda can be found by trawling through here - it's a popular destination: http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/forums/italy.280/

I should add that the great Italy enthusiast Judge Mental is sadly no longer with us, but it's good to see his comments and travel advice still benefiting others.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Figaro

Figaro Funster

From another post recently I got the impression mont blanc tunnel was really expensive ? I suppose website will give costs but can't look at moment a work !

12. NickNic

Last year we were charged €54. (Looks like €57 this year) That's the class 2 rate. Technically we're class 3 but have never been charged anything other than class 2 on any toll.

Taking the alternative route through Switzerland is very similar in terms of time and distance and still requires either a vignette or the HVF and stopovers in Switzerland are usually expensive.

If you are going to go through Switzerland without stopping then yes, I suppose it's €15-20 cheaper. If you plan on stopping overnight then it would almost certainly work out more expensive.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. PhilandMena

PhilandMena Funster

It was a few years ago we took this route. However, from memory, it was toll free through all of France and Belgium (You can pay the toll from Metz to Strazbourg on the A4, or take the toll free A31, N39).
    We purchased a Swiss Vignette (online) prior to our departure and paid for Tolls on Italian motorways (preferred option for most, if not all).
    We timed our journey so we entered Basel first thing in the morning after a nights rest and made one overnight stop on a motorway service station, along with other motor homes at no cost.
    If you choose this route, brim your tank before the Swiss boarder as fuel in Italy is expensive.
    Our destination was Lake Iseo, two hours from Lake Garda but the route would be the same.

14. NickNic

It's €40 now.

15. blueneil

blueneil Funster

Cheers Phil does that route go though Luxembourg ?

16. PhilandMena

PhilandMena Funster

Yes! Just checked online myself and edited my post accordingly. It's gone up quite a bit LOL

17. PhilandMena

PhilandMena Funster

Yes! Brim with fuel before departing and save a substantial amount of money. (we Left home with half a fuel tank to get us to the Auchen supermarket service station just north of Dunkerque then judged the amount of fuel required to get us to Luxembourg and then brimmed, overall made a big saving).

18. blueneil

blueneil Funster

19. PhilandMena

PhilandMena Funster

? Did you want to ask a question !!!

• Informative Informative x 1
  20. NickNic

If you're only going for a short trip - less than 10 days in Switzerland in the year - it's actually cheaper to be over 3.5t and pay the HVF.