Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
We're thinking of a trip down that way in August, any tips of places to stay and routes to take would be appreciated
Tia

Jan 10, 2012
London
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I'm a newbe
You will find it hot at that time of year and busy. We spent a week at "camping butterfly" last year which many others have voted for. It's at the south end of the lake near the local town and if your into cycling there's a river with a cycle path heading south from the lake which at about 6 miles very quaint village and up the hill a large private garden open to the public (nice), take a picnic. The lake is large so lots to see and do if you have transport.
good travels - enjoy.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 14, 2009
Chandlers Ford, Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner TD700 H L
Exp
Since 2008
We stayed at Butterfly too - easy cycle to the station about ten minutes ride - got train direct to Venice - tickets on train are good value too.

weekenders

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2008
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 years
We used the site at desenzano del Garda, (also south of lake garda) called camping San Francisco, nice site, lots of facilities, some parking right by the lake

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
I would avoid Lake Garda at that time of year. Wait until the school holidays are over.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
There are plenty of places but you will need to be booking one as soon as possible and the prices will be scary.
August is summer holiday for most of Europe so it will also be busy.

I suppose the advice about not going during the summer holiday is OK if you have that option. If, like us, it isn't possible for you then the area is still well worth visiting in August.

Last year we stayed at, and have no hesitation in recommending, Camping Cappuccini http://www.camp-cappuccini.com/en/ In fact we will be there again this summer, in late July.

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
There are plenty of places but you will need to be booking one as soon as possible and the prices will be scary.
August is summer holiday for most of Europe so it will also be busy.

I suppose the advice about not going during the summer holiday is OK if you have that option. If, like us, it isn't possible for you then the area is still well worth visiting in August.

Last year we stayed at, and have no hesitation in recommending, Camping Cappuccini http://www.camp-cappuccini.com/en/ In fact we will be there again this summer, in late July.

Thats looks a lovely site but am I reading it right two adults and a pitch is £46 euros? Are all the sites that exspensive?

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Thats looks a lovely site but am I reading it right two adults and a pitch is £46 euros? Are all the sites that exspensive?

Yes you are reading it right and yes they are all like that. Some are even more.

Last year, in August with 2 adults, 1 teenager and 2 dogs, it cost us about €70 a night. It's a little less this year because the teenager isn't coming but still a lot.

You're paying for the location though. It's a great site (coming from me, who hates campsites!), big pitches, all facilities, pool, bar, restaurant. There's direct access to the lake beach which is brilliant for swimming and is dog friendly and the site has it's own beach bar.

They seem to have the rate about right though because it will be full through the high season - if you wanted to go there this July or August you'll need to be booking in the next couple of weeks or you won't get a pitch

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
We are planning ital for next summer. It will be four adults then as both daughters want to come, but suppose cheaper than a hotel and far nicer. Now just need a dog :whistle: I am working on it but hubby is not keen.:(

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
So did we, beginning of June. Could not sleep for the heat.

End of May or September - perfection. Much as I love the place I think August will be a totally different experience.

It was hot last August but not unbearable. We were spending most of every afternoon in the water with the dogs though so that probably helped.

When we moved several hundred miles North to Freiburg it was actually 5 or 6 degrees hotter.

May or September unfortunately aren't options for us at the moment as the brat is still at school.

Dec 31, 2010
Sunny South Shields
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010
We also will be stopping a camping Cappuccini late July early August, stopped at butterfly a couple of years ago and San Francisco both nice sites, price are all typically the same in the summer we booked in October for Cappuccini, the sosta/ Aire in Peschiera is good cost is a lot less but you don't get the facilities

Stevang

Free Member
Apr 19, 2016
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Galaxy
Exp
Yes you are reading it right and yes they are all like that. Some are even more.

Last year, in August with 2 adults, 1 teenager and 2 dogs, it cost us about €70 a night. It's a little less this year because the teenager isn't coming but still a lot.

You're paying for the location though. It's a great site (coming from me, who hates campsites!), big pitches, all facilities, pool, bar, restaurant. There's direct access to the lake beach which is brilliant for swimming and is dog friendly and the site has it's own beach bar.

They seem to have the rate about right though because it will be full through the high season - if you wanted to go there this July or August you'll need to be booking in the next couple of weeks or you won't get a pitch[/

Cilfan

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
Flint North Wales
Funster No
MH
Desperately Seeking
Exp
Devout Wannabe

€70 a night does sound a lot of money to park a moho. But then (by way of comparison), we were charging - and people were (happily) paying and re-booking - €70 a night for a family of 3 at our French B&B back in 2003. Ok, our punters weren't supplying their own bedroom, but it (kinda) puts things in perspective.

Italy is probably my favourite European holiday destination for so many reasons. But the worst thing they ever did - from a holidaymakers point of view - was adopting the euro. I first visited in 99/2000 when they still had the Lira and couldn't believe how cheap everything was. Went back the next year - post Euro - what a difference! Still, that's progress I suppose. Doesn't stop it being a beautiful country.

Sorry for taking the thread a bit "off piste".

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
€70 a night does sound a lot of money to park a moho.

It was a campsite right on the lake.

I don't know if you've ever been there but during August everywhere is full up. All the sites charge similar rates and they don't have empty pitches.

Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
we stayed at Riva del Garda, sort of MH parking area, no electrics but showers toilets and waste/clean water available for 50c per hour, iirc 48hours max stay. On CamperContact.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back