Lake Garda in July

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by MikeD, Jan 9, 2012.

1. MikeD

MikeD Funster

Hi we are trying to plan a trip to Lake Garda in July 2012 via Austria - Has anybody got any advice? Things to do, places to stay etc.:BigGrin:

2. lorger

lorger Funster

Hi Mike
    We did this summer 2010 we went down through Germany then Austria. If this is the way your going let me know and will have a look at my log for the names of campsites that i cant remember.

If you like cars id recommend a day out at the Mercedes Museum in Stuggart there is a campsite with in a mile and a great day out. If you have kids with you id recommend you pop into Nattersee camp site in Innsbruck its expensive but the kids will love the shower block above the reception and so will the wife for that matter, we spent 2 nights here and went to Innsbruck for the day using the bus at the campsite gate.

Our MH is only 6.2m long and we used the Brenner pass (spelling) i think it cost 8euro at the Austria end then 14 at Italian end.

Hope this helps but if you want route and stuff then just ask i will check van

• Like Like x 1
  3. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Search on "garda" "retschen" "italian job" "pesciere" "fussen".

Masses of information on here.

4. MikeD

MikeD Funster

Lake Garda

Hi Gerry

Many thanks for reply, Just the wife and I with 7.0mtr Autotrail. We would appreciate any advice or recommendations, especially sites to stay around Malcesine and in Austria.

Mike

5. scran

scran Read Only Funster

lake garda

always wanted to go to lake garda passports just renewed who knows we may go this year

6. lorger

lorger Funster

Hi MIke

We didnt stay at Malcesine but we did stop for an hour or so as we stayed between Desenzano and Sirmione at the south of the lake. We used the bus and train from there to travel to Venice and Verona for days out.

If your going through Germany might be worth buying the book of Stelplatz its in German but very easy to understand once you have worked out the symbols and stuff. On the way down we stayed at a site in the Town of Bruhle nice wee site with a lake for swimming in nothing fancy but ideal for a night. The next night we spent the night in a stelplatz in Ulm lovely wee city with a tram going from the stelplatz every 15m until late then every 1/2 till midnight i think. Would recommend this town for a stopover some lovely old building with new ones along side..

Once we drove into Austria there where loads of campsites along the route some small towns have been by passed but just go into any of them and you will find a site for the night. Some lovely stopping places with amazing views stopped at one with a cafe and views over moutains and lake cant remember the name have a pic of it just looked at pic its called Zugspitzblick great place to stop for lunch.

As mentioned before we stayed at Nattersee and its the best showers and toilet block i have ever seen has two lakes for swimming and lovely walks with easy access to city where we did a cable car ride also easy drive to Lake Garda from there .

We didnt book any sites in advance apart from our LG one and travelled from Rotterdam

If you would like to see all the pics Mike as they tell a better story i have a facebook with them on it just add me gerry hughes pics of me as wee boy making funny face.

7. hilldweller

You will not regret it, promise.

• Like Like x 1
  8. weekenders

weekenders Funster Life Member

We have also been to Natersee lake in Austria, beautiful site and lake, we just had a bike ride from the site we were on, We did stay on a site in Malcesne, only a small site next to some apartments, would be too small for your 7 mtr van.
    lake garda is very beautiful, when the sun shines, we were there on a very rainy windy couple of days.

9. Craig Rogers

Craig Rogers Read Only Funster

Griff (Popeye) asked the same question via PM last night, here's what I gave him. Possibly doesn't help if you are heading through Austria as we are going via Switzerland as the St. Gothard Tunnel seems the better option for us. We are stuck with the amount of time we can take, so it's the quickest route.

I've not been, but going in April and this is the route we are taking.

Here's my Google Map of it with the stops. It's only showing one way as I'm coming back the same and stopping at the same sites.

http://g.co/maps/s2jym

The following stops are;

A: Calais Ferry Terminal Car Park (we are catching a late night ferry and staying in the car park overnight so that we can get up and go in the morning and already in France)

B: Metz, staying at Camp Municipal Metz-Plage - http://www.tourism-lorraine.com/en/h...s&id=838030250

C: Lucerene, staying at Camping International Lido - http://www.camping-international.ch/...rn_news_e.html

D: Lake Garda, Peschiera del Garda, staying at Camping Butterfly - http://www.campingbutterfly.it/index.aspx

• Like Like x 4
  10. BobT

BobT Trader - Tour Operator

Austria

With a vehicle the size of yours I would guess it weighs over 3.5 tonne. In which case I would avoid Austria as they will insist you buy a "Go-Box", which is a toll system designed for trucks. If using their autobahns the absolute minimum it could cost to simply cross the country by the most direct route would be about 150 euros! I'm not joking. Also, please bear in mind that it is very difficult not to use autobahns in Austria as they have now signed a lot of normal roads as being "unsuitable for vehicles over 3.5 tons". Incidentally, the "Go-Box" staff appear to have been trained by Austria's most famous son!
    My advice - just don't go there!

11. Phill D

Phill D

long time past :shout:since been to lake Garda ( 1977 tugging when i was a squaddie based in Germany ) good memories,:RollEyes: but went there in July so quite crowded as i recal ( but not unpleasant ). whats the weather likely to be like in April / May ? any ideas?:thumb:

12. hilldweller

For business reasons we have been many time to the area at the end of May and to us Brits it was perfect. We got as far as Rome one year and it was too hot.

PS....

The first time was on the bike in my avatar right now.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2012
  13. MikeD

MikeD Funster

Oh dear - I am over 3.5 tonnes and was considering travelling around a fair bit in Austria - did not think I would have to sell the house to do it. :cry:
    But thanks for advice :Smile:

14. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

I know nothing about bikes but is that one good for touring? looks like a racer to me.

15. hilldweller

One or two were raced but there was a pukka race version. In it's day it was a sports bike but by today's standards more a touring bike and very good it was too. It's an FZ750, a sensible size, pulled two of us all round Europe. It was a bike shop owner's toy, he had it painted in Yamaha works colours for his trip to the TT.

The hotel on Maggiore we kept returning to dubbed us The Mad English. The hotel owner greeted everyone and in our case "The mad English are back", no wonder we fell in love with Italy.

16. MikeD

MikeD Funster

Motorbike touring

Brian

Looks like you were having fun in the photo. Our bikes of choice for the European tours was a VFR 800 and XJR1300. We got punted off by white van man 1/2 mile from where we live and the wife does not want to play with bikes anymore :Sad:.

Mike

17. Craig Rogers

Well that was all sorted, until Camping Butterfly have now come back (after allowing our booking initially) saying that they now cannot accept our booking as they need a minimum of 14 nights! In APRIL? :cry:Annoyed really as they are part of ACSI and it was only going to be 16 Euros per night. Might just turn up instead and see if they'll let us on.

18. hilldweller

Look at Camping Cappuccino. More convenient for town.

19. Craig Rogers

That was my original site, but when I realised Butterfly was ACSI I changed it. Next door to Cappucini is Bella Italia. Any idea if they place is ok? They are also part of ACSI.

20. Brisey

Brisey Funster Life Member

We did not like the look of Bella Italia, it's very big with lots of pitches and statics crammed in. Residents have to wear a wrist band to gain access to the site, there were security guards at every entrance. I think that you will still have to book for 10-14 days to get ACSI rates there. It will be Camping Cappucini for us next time we visit Peschierra.

Brisey.

• Like Like x 1