Lake District

Discussion in 'UK Touring' started by landscaper, Mar 19, 2013.

1. landscaper

landscaper Funster

We are hoping to go to the Lake District after the Easter holidays have finished for a few weeks. We like to have electric hookup, quiet, dog walking and access to a pub or restaurant if poss. Our van is 7.5 metres any suggestions from anyone? and also should we book in advance? and which passes to avoid - we did once drive the Applecross pass in Scotland ...... not to be repeated!
    Many thanks

2. WillH

WillH Funster

C&CC site at Keswick is good, easy access from M6 along A66. We were there recently again and its fine. Nice pubs and shops in Keswick and plenty of really good walks from the town which is only 5 mins walk away.

Rgds
    Bill

3. teddybard

teddybard Read Only Funster

Hagans Leisure

at Silloth on Solway
    nice place elect hookups
    showers being modernised they tell me
    enjoyed a couple of weeks there last year.

North of Lakes but buses everywhere

4. PaulyP

PaulyP Funster

Fallbarrow Park, 200 yard walk into Bowness on Windermere, plenty of pubs and restaurants. Our fav restaurant is Rastellis opposite the cinema, recommended. Dog walking area on site where dogs can be let off lead, only a small area.
    We sold our lodge there last year, bar and cafe/shop on site.
    Would need to book, find it under southlakeland parks.

5. Red Dragon

Red Dragon Funster

Hi
    We used this site a few years ago,its quiet and out of the way and should be peaceful outside the holiday periods,has a fabulous bar on site,and loads of local walks, access very easy off the M6. www.thequietsite.co.uk :thumb:

6. Daveo2006

Daveo2006 Read Only Funster

Coniston Coppice is a lovely site.Short walk into Coniston village ,lovely walks along the Lake .Good showers and toilet / washing facilities. Caravan club but i beleive open to visitors.It was a shame we couldnt stay longer.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 19, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  7. davidbaldam

davidbaldam Funster

we'er down to stay at Coniston Coppice for a week at the end of May, it looks a really good site, with good walking and as the last post said a short walk to Coniston along the Lake.:BigGrin:

8. Xan

Xan Read Only Funster

+1 for the Keswick site. Fantastic dog walk on the lakeside, exit right from site and through gate. Booths supermarket and a Co-Op on your doorstep and many many dog friendly pubs but our favourite is the Dog & Gun, Kennel Club dog friendly pub of the year 2009 and they do a fine Goulash.
    http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g186327-d1848851-Reviews-The_Dog_and_Gun-Keswick_Lake_District_Cumbria_England.html

If you head out Widermere way, go for food at the Watermill Inn at Ings. Dog friendly, Dog themed micro brewery beers and good food.
    http://www.lakelandpub.co.uk/

Did I mention it's good for dogs?

• Like Like x 1
  9. knokinonabit

knokinonabit Funster

C&CC site at Braithwaite Fold, Bowness on Windermere.

Have stayed there when it was a CC site and it is in a great area close to all amenities. Hoping to stay there again in the not to distant future.

10. sedge

sedge Funster

Avoid the Hawkestone Pass - or is that the one that's OK? LOL

There's an 'Aire de camping cars' with electrickery in Ambleside isn't there?

11. knokinonabit

knokinonabit Funster

12. sedge

sedge Funster

I think I may have meant the Hardknott Pass? LOL

Think I'll look on a map ......

Yep, I did!

The Kirkstone Pass is OK though - but a lot of seeming flat roads round the district are quite narrow in places with 'nice' LOL drystone walls either side - so when you get a Chelsea Tractor coming the other way where the driver has a certain lack of - shall we say - spacial awareness? - even being on a motorbike makes you too wide - we haven't tried the Lakes in the MoHo yet but I imagine it could be quite "exciting". :Laughing:

(for Jaws' benefit, we kept thinking, we were glad Rolfy was in front of us!)