Lake District or Northumberland???

Discussion in 'UK Touring' started by Teasy2007, Aug 14, 2010.

1. Teasy2007

Teasy2007 Funster

Hi, we want to try out the Motorhome next week and cant decide between the Lake District or Northumberland. Can anyone give us advice on which they think is better, and possible sites near the sea or at a lake side would be great.

We have never been to either of these and would really appreciate some good advice on where to go, possible wildcamping or campsites - at a push!!

Ginny and Mike

2. AdgeRas

AdgeRas Read Only Funster

3. DESCO

DESCO Read Only Funster

There is a nice owned by C&CC at Haltwhistle have stayed there a couple of times nice natural woodland site beside river.

Also handy for Hadrians Wall if you are into history.

Dave :thumb::thumb:

4. wp1234

wp1234

Don't forget about those pesky midges in Scotland

5. Ralph-n-Bev

Ralph-n-Bev Funster

Lake district or Northumberland ? Both lovely .
    If your trying out the Mh i'd pick the nearest to you personaly. Just incase.
    Which ever you pick , have a lovely time.:thumb:

6. Mixter

Mixter Read Only Funster

7. Teasy2007

Teasy2007 Funster

You are right, that site looks really lovely - only problem is it is booked solid! Are there any wildcamping sites in that area??

8. Teasy2007

Teasy2007 Funster

Amble - anyone wildcamped lately???

Hi I have checked on the wildcamping site and followed an excellent link re Amble, but they then said that the council were clamping down on wild camping. Has anyone been lately? all I want is a beach!!!!!

9. aba

aba

theres that aire at ambleside millers field i think its called.
    no doubt if im wrong someone will correct me soon:thumb:

10. golly

golly Funster

In Northumberland, C&CC site Dunstan Hill great beach within walking distance, or Proctors Stead in Craster good pub great kippers. This time of year tho ????

John

11. Road Runner

Road Runner Read Only Funster

Laker district is always going to be busier:Wink:

Thinking wildcamping:Smile:

12. Mixter

Mixter Read Only Funster

I can see it being booked, but if circumstances allow, they are worth a call 'on the day' as they get cancellations.
    We booked for two nights only, but decided it was so nice we fancied staying on. On enquiring about extending , we were told they were fully booked. But, later that morning, the excellent warden sought us out and said they'd had a cancellation, so we could stay on.

13. barryd

barryd Read Only Funster

We had the same dilema last week. In the end I emailed all the CC CL owners that had email addresses listed for both Northumberland and The Lakes and the first one that came back to our enquiry was the CL at Newby Bridge in the lakes. Rather than say that yes they had availability they simply replied "We have a spot and your all booked in!". I thought well that shows initiative so we just went. We then moved on to Sloughwaite Farm CL near Keswick which is the first ever and oldest CL in the UK, been there since 1955. Really lovely spot but we were lucky to get on as they had a cancellation. Its always worth ringing round on the day. £8.50 including hookup (cant go wrong)

On the wildy side there are good spots in the north lakes. Near Portinscale (Keswick) there is a dead end road which is often used, top of the Newlands pass, bottom of the Honister pass and all along that stretch to Buttermere, Crummock water and eventually ennerdale.

Waterside campsite on Ullswater is right on the lake edge but will be busy.

The only wild spot I know of in Northumberland thats by the sea is at boulmer.

We are now currently wilding just a few metres from the sea on the Isle of Arran, off to do some sunbathing now, have fun!

BD

14. Teasy2007

Teasy2007 Funster

You are a star! thanks so much that's just what I wanted.

We have only been to two campsites in the UK, Keilder Water and Kessingland near Lowestoft. We normally head straight down to France and then Spain. With great information like this - and especially such a beautiful photograph - we will head up north once in a while!!

Ginny and Mike

15. Locksmith

Locksmith Read Only Funster

Hello, we tried our very first motorhome out in the lake district http://www.castlerigg.co.uk/
    and as most of you will know we had everything go wrong with our motorhome but the fact that each pitch was fully serviced helped us deal with the problems. The site is fantastic and it in my opinion has the best views of any site in the Lake District. one thing to remember for black waste, I believe there is only facility for cassettes to be emptied.:thumb: