laika

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by ianthebuilder, Nov 6, 2015.

1. ianthebuilder

ianthebuilder Funster

Used Laika motorhomes, evip etc, any good?

2. davidbaldam

davidbaldam Funster

I have an Econvip 7r on an 01 plate have had it just over 3 years and can't fault the build and quality, mine, like I suspect most is on a Fiat base. I would recommend them. (y)

3. ianthebuilder

ianthebuilder Funster

thats nice to know david,,im looking at a couple next week,,what about motorhomedepot? any info on them?

4. davidbaldam

davidbaldam Funster

None I'm afraid but good luck, have had no damp problems with mine but that is always the first think to check. (y)

5. ianthebuilder

ianthebuilder Funster

Yes that seems to be the main warning. But they do look nice, fixed bed nice fabric pattern etc. I hope to be impressed !!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

7. Hagstrom

Hagstrom Funster

We had one on a FIAT base from new for 7 years and it behaved very well. I would recommend but, as with every second hand MH, take a damp meter with you when inspecting.

• Like Like x 1
  8. ianthebuilder

ianthebuilder Funster

thanks judge but i have seen a couple in mansfield that are a different shape,(no high front above cab) But i am happy that i havnt had many negatives about them,,and as for damp yj that is the first thing on my list,,im sticking my nose into customers old sheds,nooks and crannies and anything else that is damp,just training the nose before i whip my meter out and offend them all !! lol

• Like Like x 1
  9. Gorse Hill

Gorse Hill Funster

As long it's only your damp meter your whipping out should not offend anyone:eek:

• Like Like x 1
  10. ianthebuilder

ianthebuilder Funster

Oh the damp meter is bigger and better looking gorse !!

• Like Like x 2
  11. seabreezesports

seabreezesports Funster

very please with ours . Well built . Only issue was water ingress around the roof lights caused by a poor repair some where in its history.

12. ianthebuilder

ianthebuilder Funster

prob how long is a piece of string question but what sort of payload can they take,,i have a few tools,prob about 75 kgs and then just clothes etc,?

13. Allanm

Allanm Funster

Motorhomedepot is a broker, as far as I know, they don't have premises but just handle the transactions.

14. ianthebuilder

ianthebuilder Funster

i wish i could contact the sellers directly !! they would prob get a bit more and i would have to pay a bit less ! shame..

15. mitzimad

mitzimad Funster

to get those details you would need to run a parking company and pay dvla not available to honest citizens

• Like Like x 1
  16. frogijock

frogijock Funster

Had one (year 2000) for 5 years, only complaint was cupboard door in kitchen fell off, screws holding hinges to small, bigger screws no problem. Would certainly be on list if buying again

17. ianthebuilder

ianthebuilder Funster

Well all seems quite positive,that's good. Thanks all.

18. BryanM

BryanM Funster

We have a 1998 A class 200i bought back in March and find the Laika a very well designed and versatile Motorhome. It's based on a twin rear wheel Iveco chassis and is 3800kgs so you need to have your license pre 1997 but has a big payload and a max train weight of 7 ton so can tow a race shuttle.

It's a seven berth but more importantly has 5 individual beds so when my daughter and grandchildren come over in the summer, we were able to go away with everyone having their own bed. When they left and we headed of to Tuscanny, we folded the bottom bunk up and that converted the area into a garage big enough to hold our two bikes so no worries about them getting stolen or filthy. image.jpg image.jpg

Likewise the lounge area is cleverly thought out with a long settee on one side, and an L shape one on the other and with the removable steering wheel, both captains seats swivel right round giving you a lounge area the seats 10! However when the two of us go away, the long settee converts into a dining table and seats but still leaves a setee for lounging in. image.jpg

A lot of thought also went into the drop down bed. When you initially lower it you can pull it out about a foot which, although it's still a double mattress, gives the person on the inside more height and more width keeping them away from the windscreen. It can also extend out even further to convert into a superking size bed , letting you sleep lengthwise rather than side to side. The optional kit to let you do this involved straps at either side but I was going to modify the ladder to support it, there is a steel bar the length of the bed, but as my wife said 'why bother?' as the bed as standard fits us, I'm 6'1' , and it would mean an extra mattress and time to put away. As it is, the bed and bedding is out the way in 5 seconds and we can be ready to roll in 30 seconds, a bit longer if we decide to get dressed first!!

Another plus if you are a walker or skier is, in the older ones with Truma heater, it sits below the wardrobe but this has a hinged base with a wire basket shelf below so if you come in with wet boots and gear, put them in the shelf and hang your jackets up and when you put the heater on you have an instant hot press.

So our thoughts would be Laika are a brand very much overlooked, but definitely worth having.

• Like Like x 4
  19. abforfun

abforfun Funster

Looks good

20. Phillybarbour

Phillybarbour Read Only Funster

They are a great well put together product, as I'm sure you'll know they are part of the Hymer Group.