Laika the wonder dog , attacked (1 Viewer)

Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Been around the block a few timesšŸ˜‰
Sorry to hear about Laika...Hope she gets better soon. Also feel sorry for the Staff, The dog has an idiot owner. My Collie was attacked twice in the past by the same Pitbull, pretty chunky one aswell. First time I excused it as owner was all apologetic etc and he paid the vet bills. My dog had similar gash on his front right leg, could have been his throat. Second time I literally had to hold my dog above my head whilst trying to get the pitbull away...Got the police involved that time, what if a woman was pushing a pram with their pet dog attached by lead, can you imagine the scenario should a pitbull attack....doesn't bear thinking of...
I thought pit bulls had to be muzzled by law?

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I thought pit bulls had to be muzzled by law?

It's not even legal to own a pit bull in the UK but the problem is that there's no specific breed definition of a Pit Bull terrier. The ban refers to "dogs of that type"

People who don't know what they're looking at often confuse properly bred Staffies with "type" dogs.

https://www.gov.uk/control-dog-public/banned-dogs

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
My mate used to have Staffies and I know they are differen't breed. The dog that got mine was a Pit Bull and was confirmed when the Gardai got involved. Again, I dont blame the dogs, It's the no brain owners.

I agree. But far too many people, including plenty of so called experts, can't tell the difference.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
There's a dog in our village, only a Cocker so not dangerous, that's had a go at my Springer a couple of times when I've had him on the lead.

The "owner" just laughs and says "Oh yes, he doesn't like other dogs on leads" :mad:

"Well f***** sort him out or next time I will" didn't go down very well :whistle:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I agree. But far too many people, including plenty of so called experts, can't tell the difference.
something i spent many hours teaching police officers about. many had no real clue that staffies, pitbulls, english bulls and various bulldogs were entirely different breeds. all of course confused with various cross breeds

I attended one police station to identify a dog and one officer had confused a young boxer with a pitbull. poor dog still got returned to its drug dealing owner.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
something i spent many hours teaching police officers about. many had no real clue that staffies, pitbulls, english bulls and various bulldogs were entirely different breeds. all of course confused with various cross breeds

I attended one police station to identify a dog and one officer had confused a young boxer with a pitbull. poor dog still got returned to its drug dealing owner.

I've heard quite a few stories of cross breed puppies being branded as "type" and seized. Usually pups that are no more "type" than your average Chihuahua, dogs that have no type of terrier in their makeup never mind pit bull.

Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
None now šŸ˜¢
Exp
Poor little Laika, hope she recovers quickly and your partner too. Awful experience for all of you.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I've heard quite a few stories of cross breed puppies being branded as "type" and seized. Usually pups that are no more "type" than your average Chihuahua, dogs that have no type of terrier in their makeup never mind pit bull.
although the number of these cases is dropping, too many are being seized in some areas. however we can now dna test any dog for under Ā£50. far cheaper than an expert witness costs. though i used to just charge expenses it adds up with several court appearances per case. then add kennelling costs. it used to be silly expensive

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
what worries me about recent news is that more than one force are holding seized dogs in inhumane conditions with no exercise for up to 2 years whilst awaiting court proceedings. of the dogs were not mentally damaged before they will be now

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-36029864

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
So sorry for Laika, you and your partner, all the best for this mornings walk and the future.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
That's a nasty wound. Poor Laika. I hope she gets over it quickly.
And your partner is ok? All tetanus up to date?

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Sorry to hear about that Kevin.

I agree about reporting the dog, but I hope Laika makes a full recovery.

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Terrible thing to have happened. Poor laika. I echo all the replies above the dog might get a child next time.I hope laika gets over the trauma too.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
All the best to Laika for her recovery & the least your partner should do is ensure he has up to date tetanus injections.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
In each litter of pups you will normally have one dominant dog, he is there to protect and lead the pack. This is not a problem with some breeds as all they do is bark and show their teeth. The more powerful breeds can be more of a problem if the owner doesn't understand this and take over as top dog.
Pack leaders require good training with constant awareness especially in the company of other dogs.
Awareness by the owners at all times is the key . Hope it doesn't have any long term affect on Laika.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
what worries me about recent news is that more than one force are holding seized dogs in inhumane conditions with no exercise for up to 2 years whilst awaiting court proceedings. of the dogs were not mentally damaged before they will be now

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-36029864

I saw an earlier report about that story a while ago. I'm pleased she's been moved to a better kennel now.

Anyone involved in such treatment should feel thoroughly ashamed.

OP
OP
Kevinthecat
Nov 10, 2012
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Quick up date , firstly thank you all for comments, truly appreciated.
Laika was up and about early this morning in anticipation of her walk.
Her wound on her head is healing well , it doesn't look angry anymore and looks like it has started to scab. She's back to her normal confident happy self, she met her usual walking buddies and greeted them with confidence.
It's a beautiful morning and this just added to the happiness that she is back to normal.
I even managed to get her to take her antibiotics tablets, but that was down to one word "Doris" mention Doris the cats name and she will wolf any food she has down .
We are off to Brighton this weekend for the marathon , she loves being in the van so more happiness .
Once again thank you

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
We have a Staff she is now 14 years and she is not aggressive, and she is always on a lead. She dose not, and has never really bothered with other dogs as a rule, but she will retaliate when other dog owners let their dogs come up to her yapping often on 'extender leads' The owners often say they are only playing etc. !!

The reason my dog is on a lead is to stop any chance of this kind of thing happening, and it is down to the owners to control their dog .... all dogs large or small.

We are sorry to hear about you dog, and we sincerely hope your dog makes a speedy recovery.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
We have a Staff she is now 14 years and she is not aggressive, and she is always on a lead. She dose not, and has never really bothered with other dogs as a rule, but she will retaliate when other dog owners let their dogs come up to her yapping often on 'extender leads' The owners often say they are only playing etc. !!

The reason my dog is on a lead is to stop any chance of this kind of thing happening, and it is down to the owners to control their dog .... all dogs large or small.

We are sorry to hear about you dog, and we sincerely hope your dog makes a speedy recovery.
Staffs are fantastic dogs with a name they dont always deserve.

dippingatoe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jul 23, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Thor Damon Daybreak 27P
Exp
jan 2014
So sorry to read this. And so pleased that not only is she recovering well physically but emotionally. Look after her and give her an extra get well soon kiss from me x

Landyguy

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2013
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Serrano
Exp
newbie from caravan - 5yrs now
Call the police right now. It could be a child tomorrow and imagine the guilt if you knew and hadn't reported it!!!

Hope Laika recovers soon.
correct - you wouldn't be able to live with yourself if it attacked a child or less resilient dog - report it!!!

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
The Yellow Dog scheme promotes awareness of dogs that need space from other dogs for whatever reason. Unfortunately too many people currently are either unaware of what it means or too stupid to care.

http://www.yellowdoguk.co.uk

I consider myself to be a clued up and considerate dog owner, regular trips to vets etc I have never heard of this scheme, so thanks for the link, I will class myself as unaware, hopefully very few of us will fall into the 'too stupid to care' sector :(

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I consider myself to be a clued up and considerate dog owner, regular trips to vets etc I have never heard of this scheme, so thanks for the link, I will class myself as unaware, hopefully very few of us will fall into the 'too stupid to care' sector :(

I hope so too and I think most people would be unaware rather than the other thing.

The "too stupid to care" class are the ones that know their dog is liable to be aggressive and still don't keep it under control. I don't think there's much hope for them.

If you see a dog with a yellow lead or scarf or vest then it could well be one that needs space and you should keep your own dog away. That's not day glow hi vis yellow by the way. It's real yellow.

They're a charity, and not a large one, so they do their best to get the message out but simply don't have the resources for a huge marketing campaign. Word of mouth is their best friend so if you tell someone else who didn't know about it and so on then eventually the message will get out there properly.

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Are dogs trust leads yellow too?

Edit: Just looked at the yellow dog link, never heard of that either, good to know/be aware of though.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back