Laika the wonder dog , attacked (1 Viewer)

Nov 10, 2012
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Our beautiful Laika the wonder dog was attacked in the park today. The attack dog was let off its lead and attacked her . The dog attacked a boxer 4 weeks ago and the owners excuse was this was the first time he had let it off the lead in 4 weeks. And it's in their genes!!!
My partner managed to prise the dogs jaw off Laika's head and got bitten as well. The dog was a staffy so was locked on .
Poor Laika's scream was blood curdling.
She ended up with a cut to the head and 2 punctures holes under chin.
No stitches required but now on antibiotics and pain control.
The attack owner will pay the vets bill.
Laika has been very resilient , she has continued as normal a tad sleepy but ok.
We love her dearly and this horrible incident has made us realise just how much we love her .
image.jpeg

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Arr, the poor little mite.

That is my fear with staffies too, their jaws are so strong. I know they are not all aggressive by any means but they scare the hell out of me, just by the look of their powerful jaws.

Hope she is feeling better soon.

Lisa

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20th Sept 2014
Oh poor Laika, how awful for you all.
I hope she recovers quickly, and it doesn't leave any mental scars.

Sadly staffies get a bad press, but it's the owners that need destroying. All dogs have the potential to be aggressive and it's the owners responsibility to keep their dog under control.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Aaaaw poor soul. That looks sore. Give her a hug from me. I think you should report it to the police. How many more dogs are going to be attacked. The owner should have had a muzzle on it. I dread to think what would have happened had your partner not intervened.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Agree with all the above. If the dog is aggressive and the owner can't control it then a) it shouldn't be off the lead ever and b) it should be muzzled in public.

If the owner won't do this then it really is something to be taken further.

Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Been around the block a few times😉
My worst nightmare this a staffie attacked a sausage dog who's owner launched the staffie being a pro rugby player the staffie didn't win.

I believe you can protect your own?

So sorry your dog & partner were bitten.

parknride

Free Member
Jan 21, 2014
cumbria
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1988
I didn't "like" your post, how could I? Poor dog hope she recovers without lasting problems and hope you are both OK too. It's horrible. I agree with the above, please report it, could be a child next time.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Very sad to hear this, heres hoping for a quick recovery for Laika and another vote for reporting, at the very least to your local dog warden or probably best the police

Don't expect to get the vets bill paid though

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
You need to act asap.. Unless you can live with the guilt of knowing what may happen next time.. If for arguments sake it did happen to a child and word got out that you knew this dog to be savage your lives would be made hell for nit reporting it

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
If you expect the idiot to pay your vet bill you must have their address, even though it wont be genuine, to give to your vet.
Use the info to inform the police especially as it wasnt just your dog rhat was bitten.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
2nd attack :eek: !!
The owners obviously have no common sense or sense of responsibility :mad:.
After the first attack that dog should never have been let off the lead and muzzled when out.
Must be reported to hopefully prevent a third attack.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
right, well i expect many of you will be expecting me to defend the staffie, but you are wrong. A dog that has attacked twice will definitely do so again

it is a criminal offence to have a dog dangerously out of control in a public place. go to the police and they will charge the stupid owner. at a minimum the dog needs to be muzzled and exercised on lead only in public

OP
OP
Kevinthecat
Nov 10, 2012
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
We do have the owners address and we will be going to the police tomorrow . The guy refuses to muzzle and thinks being on a lead would be good enough . I've already told him I would have the dog put down you just can not trust it . It's already been said and we have spoken about it already it could be a child next.
Partner is fine , he was lucky, the bite hit his finger only and not his whole hand .
Thank you all for your kind replies.
Laika is currently flat out , we will be out at 6 for her morning walk.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
as mentioned before, I have a lot of experience with staffies and handling "dangerous dogs". The idiot owner is to blame for his dog's attacks and is legally liable for all costs. sadly its probable the dog will get put down as a human was bitten so it will pay the highest price. better that though than get the breed a bad name by attacking another dog and injuring a child

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
So glad Laika is on the mend poor mite. How distressing for you all. I hope it hasn't traumatised her for walks tomorrow.
Like all the above say that staffie will always attack now and the next person, child or dog may not be so lucky ,well done you for reporting it .

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Poor little mite, she will heal though ... it's amazing how quickly they do.

Agree with what's been posted previously ref reporting the incident, you should inform the Police immediately - he is in charge of a 'lethal weapon' regardless of how nice the dog is normally (or maybe not) it WILL happen again and as the owner thinks it's okay you can be sure of that. The dog has not just attacked another dog (which is bad enough) but a human and that is a whole different ballgame!

If there is any break at all in your partner's skin get him off to the doctors sharpish - there's a lot of nasties in a dogs mouth and if they get into the body they will cause infections etc, you can't just ignore it. Better to have antibiotics now to alleviate/prevent any infection than to wait until one has started and then try to get shot.

Awful as it may be, if the dog is deemed to be dangerous and likely to do it again then it will be put down, but that's not your fault, its the stupid owner's!

I got bitten by one of my own dogs accidentally many years ago - she got 'upset' as my FIL had just walked in our front door and was wearing a crash helmet (which she had always hated ... possibly from something that happened in her past before we rescued her) and our oldest dog got to him first, so she just reacted and went for my other dog, on the third attempt at getting to her whilst I was pushing her out of the way, she accidentally snapped at her bottom and got my left hand instead! She realised immediately what she'd done and just stood there with her gnashers clamped on me! As she was a cross Alsation and we think a staffie (we never knew what exactly) her jaw locked and it took ages to get her off - hubby broke a wooden spoon trying to prise her mouth open and in the end had to give her a good smack to 'shock' her to open her mouth.

The end inch of my left thumb was hanging by a bit of skin and I had a hole through my first finger too! Hubby wanted to take me to hospital but before I went I insisted on checking my oldest dog was okay which fortunately she was as she had quite loose skin so it hadn't been punctured. I also wanted to see my 'attacker' as she was clearly upset with what she'd done ... she hadn't gone for me purposely and if a dog can look devastated then she certainly did! As it was a bite I couldn't have any stitches so they just gave me painkilling injections so they could clean it then 'taped' up my thumb and finger and I was sent home with lots of antibiotics etc (which nearly killed me ... but that's another story!).

Honey, the 'attacker' was the sweetest dog normally but the crash helmet just wound her up ... FIL had forgotten to take it off before coming in, if he had none of it would have happened. Oh ... to top it all ... it was Christmas Eve!

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
One of our neighbours has to keep their dog muzzled and on a lead after it went for the postman. The post office refused to deliver to nos. 1-14 of our close until the owner had been to court and something had been done about the dog, went on for weeks.

Oct 20, 2014
Wicklow Town, Ireland
Funster No
MH
2020 Avantgarde 175
Exp
A good few years
Sorry to hear about Laika...Hope she gets better soon. Also feel sorry for the Staff, The dog has an idiot owner. My Collie was attacked twice in the past by the same Pitbull, pretty chunky one aswell. First time I excused it as owner was all apologetic etc and he paid the vet bills. My dog had similar gash on his front right leg, could have been his throat. Second time I literally had to hold my dog above my head whilst trying to get the pitbull away...Got the police involved that time, what if a woman was pushing a pram with their pet dog attached by lead, can you imagine the scenario should a pitbull attack....doesn't bear thinking of...

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
Glad to hear that your dog is on the mend. They're certainly man's & woman's best friend.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back