Laika Ecovip 7.1g - Help needed on S.M.E Cp900 Charger (1 Viewer)

simonjcox

Free Member
Jul 22, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 7.1g
Exp
July 2015
Hi All.

I have recently purchased a Laika Ecovip 7.1g and would like to know if anybody has used the S.M.E CP900 charger to add a solar panel too? In the book of instructions it say you can connect a solar panel and shows the pin to connect to, however it gives no other details. I would like to know if anybody has done this? if so do I need a regulator? and what Wattage panels can I fit?. I have spoken to Laika and also Southdowns and they don't know what or how to do this as the charge is no longer manufactured.

I would appreciate any help that you guys and girls may be able to give.

Cheers

Simon

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
My previous motorhome was a Laika with the same system. The previous owner from new had fitted a solar panel but through a separate controller - he didn't know why the Laika system had been bypassed, maybe same problem of not enough info about it. Apparently there is already a small box on the roof ready to run the wiring through and then down inside the pillar behind the driver. Our dedicated solar controller was is the seat Base storage behind the drivers seat.

OP
OP
simonjcox

simonjcox

Free Member
Jul 22, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 7.1g
Exp
July 2015
Thanks for your reply. I have emailed Laika in Italy and they cant tell me how to do it, although they did send me a document that suggests you can just plug a panel into the charger and it doesn't need to be regulated. I will have a look on the roof tonight to see if I have a box for the wiring as that would be handy :). Might just be easier to put a regulator on anyway as save the possibility of blowing up the charger by not connecting it properly or using the wrong wattage panel.

Thanks again
Simon

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
newbie and learning every day
Hi Simon.

Have you found the box, it is on the LHS when looking at the 7.1G from the front, you have to take off the panel that covers the front end of the luggage bars and the connection box, same as a household box can be found. Plastic tubing (gain) drops down inside the panels and exits under the home behind your drivers seat assuming you have a UK spec van. We have the same a 2002 7.1G if you need photos to explain just let me know
regards Phil

OP
OP
simonjcox

simonjcox

Free Member
Jul 22, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 7.1g
Exp
July 2015
Hi Phil

Thanks for your reply. Yes I found the box and the connection box etc on the roof and have now fitted 150 watts of solar panel and all works well.

I have a problem with the electric step motor also which Wellsbridge motorhomes where i bought her from are trying to get a replacement. Have you had any problems with your step? I have called Southdowns Motorhomes to see if they can get a replacement, but no luck. Have you had to get many spare parts for yours? if so do you have any information on the best places for Laika bits?.

Other than the above faults the van is fantastic and we are off around Europe and hopefully as far as Croatia early September, so this will be a good test for her :-O.

Thanks again for your help its much appreciated.

Best regards

Simon

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back