Free Member
Apr 16, 2012
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Lone traveller, I drive mine.... I wasn't going to answer as the word 'ladies' threw me.:Smile:

Sorry, in this politically correct society we are living in I found myself thinking if anyone would take offence when I titled my thread 'Ladies'

Rob

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Lyn my wife (Mrs VanBitz) will drive anything. This was us, en route, for the South of France in August.

32' RV with a 27' Trailer/RIB on the back!

Last edited:

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Sorry, in this politically correct society we are living in I found myself thinking if anyone would take offence when I titled my thread 'Ladies'

Rob

Hey, keep calling me a lady... I'm loving it...:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
We have travelled over a hundred thousand miles in the camper in past few years, my partner has not driven a single mile. But then she doesn't have a licence so I wont hold it against her. :winky:

Oct 18, 2012
Wortham Diss
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
Motorhomed for almost 7 years - now going nowhere!
I was determined to drive the Mh so that we could share the driving. However.....you should have seen me on the test run. I couldn't sort out the six gears - I abandoned the vehicle and told Derek to take over (I bet the salesman thought he'd lost the sale :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:). I do drive it and love it. I tell everyone I drive on the straight roads and Derek does the roundabouts.!::bigsmile:

In reality I tend to drive on the Norfolk roads and Derek takes the motorways.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I do most of the driving. Today my mum had a shot of driving in our new motorhome and she is 73. Our motorhome is 22 feet.

Well done mum.

daisy mae

Free Member
Mar 12, 2013
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C class Coachbuilt
Exp
I`m a newbie, now 1 year
The motor home is mine I bought it, hubby thought I had lost my marbles when I said last year that I was going to buy one, he isn`t into motorhomes at all, I am a solo driver. It is my only everyday vehicle anyway, not as big as some of yours though, for that reason.

I use to drive a 7.5ton horse box, had to double declutch, also towed a 7mtr caravan no problem, love driving.::bigsmile:

dippingatoe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jul 23, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Thor Damon Daybreak 27P
Exp
jan 2014
Well can't say I am enjoying driving it yet, but I am getting a bit more confident. It was 28 ft but I have just had a hoist for a mobility scooter fitted today and that has added another 4 ft so now about 32ft.

I havent really got to grips with the width as yet and tend to panic a bit in tricky situations espcially if reversing is involved. Hopefully I will get better :whatthe:

Don;t mind the motorways but some of the roads in Scotland and the Lake District were a bit worrying

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I learnt to drive when I was 14 and on extended holiday with my Grandparents who lived on a US air force base..... one of the US high-ups decided I would be useful running messages and gave me the keys to his ancient jeep plus a 10 minute lesson. I passed my test at 17 driving a Vauxhall Viva and have driven all sorts of vehicles since then - biggest being a converted single decker bus rated at 7.5 tonnes. I managed to reverse that into a space 8 inches wider than it was every evening and never scratched it.

I find driving a bigger vehicle is easier than a small car as "right of size" kicks in :ROFLMAO:. I'm more confident driving a large vehicle and a better driver as a result.

As long as you remember the height and turning circle and take your time when reversing the only problems are in your head.

Oct 20, 2013
South Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Yes
I learnt to drive when I was 14 and on extended holiday with my Grandparents who lived on a US air force base..... one of the US high-ups decided I would be useful running messages and gave me the keys to his ancient jeep plus a 10 minute lesson. I passed my test at 17 driving a Vauxhall Viva and have driven all sorts of vehicles since then - biggest being a converted single decker bus rated at 7.5 tonnes. I managed to reverse that into a space 8 inches wider than it was every evening and never scratched it.

I find driving a bigger vehicle is easier than a small car as "right of size" kicks in :ROFLMAO:. I'm more confident driving a large vehicle and a better driver as a result.

As long as you remember the height and turning circle and take your time when reversing [HI]the only problems are in your head[/HI].
And the occasional gate-post

Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I drive ours regularly and happily reverse it into quite a large carpark at work with the aid of the camera. I haven't reversed it onto my drive because I have a lamppost right in between the drive and gravel hardstanding. It is very tight so I do let the OH have that privilege. I will probably drive it abroad on our next trip to Europe. ::bigsmile:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
My MH would require modification for SWMBO to drive it as she cant reach the pedals. Possibly removing the seat swivel would lower it sufficiently but we don't want to do that. She is qualified to drive an ambulance on blue lights so I'm sure she would have no trouble with the MH even though it's a bit longer.

jacks girls

Free Member
Feb 12, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I'm new
I drive mine as I'm the only driver. However I switched from a car and 26 foot caravan (approx. 40 feet in total) so going to a 24 foot motorhome is a lot easier, my main issue is finding somewhere to park and trying not to get lost::bigsmile:.

dippingatoe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jul 23, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Thor Damon Daybreak 27P
Exp
jan 2014
My MH would require modification for SWMBO to drive it as she cant reach the pedals. Possibly removing the seat swivel would lower it sufficiently but we don't want to do that. She is qualified to drive an ambulance on blue lights so I'm sure she would have no trouble with the MH even though it's a bit longer.

Platform Shoes?

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Lyn my wife (Mrs VanBitz) will drive anything. This was us, en route, for the South of France in August.

32' RV with a 27' Trailer/RIB on the back!

Thats nice. I particularity like the walnut grained fascia, the layout of the dash and the instrumentation.......

Her legs look pretty good as well....*cough*. ::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back