Ladder for pull down bed. Painfull (1 Viewer)

Gunner

Free Member
Oct 11, 2016
Shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer c544gt
Exp
1 year
Hi can anyone help We have standard wooden slat type ladder in our hymer 544 gt And it really hurts our feet getting up and down. We love the layout and are fairly fit. But the ladder seem useless. Can anyone suggest a better ladder. Thanks in advance

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
We use one like this made by Abru - as long as your layout has enough space to open it up during the night, it stays up on the bed during the day - works perfectly for us.
image.jpeg

OP
OP
Gunner

Gunner

Free Member
Oct 11, 2016
Shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer c544gt
Exp
1 year
Thanks is it high enough. That my only worry but nice wide steps

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I don't use the ladder. One foot on side seat, knee on edge of bed, into bed. If you need to use the ladder have you considered wearing slippers & removing them once on the bed? Or one like this (maybe modified) :

Broken Link Removed

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gunner

Gunner

Free Member
Oct 11, 2016
Shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer c544gt
Exp
1 year
Thing is the bed is high and you need 5 rung ladder to get up and in. But a least once up it's comfy. But. Really bad ladder design. Slippers. Uuummm. I think the dogs might like them more than me. (Dogs love to chew slippers).

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
have a carpenter make a replacement ladder with broader rungs using the original to match height and spacing, and of course you could glue on some urethane foam. I used a couple of pieces from a camping roll mat on a ladder in a previous van. this worked very well on the metal ladder with wooden rungs

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Get some foam insulation for 22 mm copper pipe (from a builder's / plumber's merchant or a DIY shed). It is part pre-split so easy to work with and fits neatly over the rungs. Then seal it along the split with duct tape. You may need to replace the foam from time to time but it's cheap and keeps the ladder light in weight without resorting to heavier contraptions.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Get some foam insulation for 22 mm copper pipe (from a builder's / plumber's merchant or a DIY shed). It is part pre-split so easy to work with and fits neatly over the rungs. Then seal it along the split with duct tape. You may need to replace the foam from time to time but it's cheap and keeps the ladder light in weight without resorting to heavier contraptions.
@Gunner. That's exactly what I would suggest too. Start simple, and work your way up to something that suits.

BTW, it sounds that you are getting away lightly.........so far. Ask @ianthebuilder how he gets on with his bed ladder. :LOL:

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Hymie

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Classic Hymer B564
Exp
Since 1981
We have a B564 and didn't like climbing the ladder, and as it has a single step at the jab door I bought a double step, works as night time stairs to the bed and an easier exit from the van during the day.

It sits under the table during travel.

Oct 7, 2015
newark
Funster No
MH
Swift escape 624
Exp
We cut a set of alloy steps up ,cut the hoop off the top and fitted the hooks to it .made life much easier on the feet

Apr 10, 2010
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Sept 2003
This works well but I recommend double sided tape inside the foam tube as well to stick it to the rungs. Otherwise, depending on the style of the rungs, the foam can spin round the rung causing you to face plant into the ladder. This is the voice of experience.:(

Steve devon

Free Member
Sep 7, 2014
North devon
Funster No
MH
Adria sonic supreme
Exp
Since 2015
I cut up a foam yoga mat, glued it to the top step and wrapped it around a few times, a cable tie each end, with the join under the slat, works very well

OP
OP
Gunner

Gunner

Free Member
Oct 11, 2016
Shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer c544gt
Exp
1 year
Hi thanks for the many suggestions. I'm going with the personal rocket pack for the wife. But I'll struggle along with foam padded steps. For me. Always seems obvious after. Thanks folks.

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
The abru steps we have are brilliant. Very sturdy and just the right height. The arch frame at the top gives you something solid to hold onto when climbing out in the middle of the night. Much safer than trying to negotiate the ladder, when half asleep, with nothing to hold onto.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
We went with pipe insulation and held in place tastefully with gaffa tape !

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
My Chausson had an alloy ladder that was very narrow treads and I put thick pipe insulation around them but still not good. My new Hymer has a wooden ladder that is wider but still too narrow for bare feet, however they did make it 3 inches too short and it is virtually vertical so I had to add wooden bottoms to the actual frame to make it climbable, in the end I just climb on the table and seats to get up.
Answer is to wear a pair of Pit boots, in bed

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back