LIFE MEMBER
Jan 16, 2013
Blackburn
Funster No
MH
Eldiss autoquest 155
Exp
Since 2011
We are considering joining the CCC rally at La Manga in March for a month. Any thoughts on the area, weather, what to do etc would be appreciated.

Barry

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I dont know if you are aware, but most of La Manga will be closed for the winter months. Last time I drove through in the winter you would be lucky to find a bar open.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
As above, not much going on in the area and if they are working the fields adjacent it can be stinky and very dusty.

Other than that its OK(y)

Martin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
I dont know if you are aware, but most of La Manga will be closed for the winter months. Last time I drove through in the winter you would be lucky to find a bar open.
What a load of rubbish, we are here from October until the end of March and there are loads of places open both on the La Manga strip itself and in the immediate area. I agree it's not Benidorm but that is why we are here and have been coming here for the last 11 years. We don't do the rally anymore but if you join it you will find loads to do.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
What a load of rubbish, we are here from October until the end of March and there are loads of places open both on the La Manga strip itself and in the immediate area. I agree it's not Benidorm but that is why we are here and have been coming here for the last 11 years. We don't do the rally anymore but if you join it you will find loads to do.

OK, if you think its a load of rubbish it must be. I was there last February and couldn't even get bread on the strip.

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
OK, if you think its a load of rubbish it must be. I was there last February and couldn't even get bread on the strip.
Let me guess, you were free parking right at the end of the strip where there are no shops and well away from the local communities who live here all the year round.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Let me guess, you were free parking right at the end of the strip where there are no shops and well away from the local communities who live here all the year round.

Dont even begin to guess where I was parked. I have been travelling up and down that coast for a lot longer than 11 years. May I remind you of rule 1. You may not agree with my post, but that does not give you the right to call it rubbish. Am sure there are many funsters that agree with you that La Manga is a wonderful place, but there are just as many that will agree its shut in winter :cool:.

Clive

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2012
Canvey Island
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I'm going there in January on the recommendation of two friends who spent the whole rally there last year. They had a fantastic time.
The rally has its own Facebook page, ccc la Manga, beginning of each month they publish a list of everything going on.
I'm looking forward to it (y)

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
You love or hate it, the site is different and not the run of the mill, they have a good supermarket on site with others that you can get to on a bicycle, agree about the dust and can be very windy, that's what attracts all the wind surfing people. :LOL:
All the toilet blocks should be demolished and start again, the rally is OK not been for a few years but plenty was organised, :) once you go out the back gate it's very quiet and you can cycle for miles. (y)
I would say our dog prefers it more than me, :eek: but for me it's OK if I use my own shower, and it's not too windy. :D Bob.

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
We spent a few nights there last March. It's a huge site, and we were a bit dubious about going there because of the mixed reviews that we'd heard. In the end, we had a lovely time. We were allocated a good pitch, and we were able to mix in and play tennis with an international group of people who play regularly, three times a week on the tennis courts at the site. So, if by any chance you play tennis, it's great fun.
We also liked the restaurant.
Some of the other players, including people who live in la Manga, told us that there was loads to see and do in the area, but we didn't stay long enough to find out.
We'd definitely go again, but mainly for the tennis.

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
You will find it much quieter than the summer months, however it should provide you with a decent stay on a large campsite in an interesting area, there are enough shops and bars open near to and on the campsite. Bring a bike for use on and off the site....its a big place. If you like rallies and meeting people then this could be a place to find out places to visit in and around Murcia/Alicante regions.

brynric

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2009
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600
Exp
We stayed there in February a couple of years ago. The weather was good but with the potential to be windy. We had a Valentine's Day lunch outdoors on the beach (aah!). Lots of the town is closed, it's a summer holiday resort after all, but we liked the quieter life and we were never stuck for things to do. There is some great cycling if you can get out into the hills. I'd love to try the ebikes out there. The site is old and a little quirky but the rally was well organised and made the most of it. We'll definitely go again.

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
I've just remembered something else, which added to the quirkiness of the site for us.
There are lots of permanent, Spanish-style holiday homes there - streets of them, in fact. One day, as we were walking down one of these streets, we came upon an old Spanish lady, sitting outside her home in the sunshine. Next to her, was a huge potted cannabis plant. I did a double-take, because I couldn't quite believe what I was seeing. The old lady caught my eye and gave what I can only describe as a 'knowing look.' I don't know anything about Spanish drugs laws. Maybe she uses it for medicinal purposes - or maybe she's the local dealer! :D:D:D

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Off the rally now after 10 years on it and up on J6 so pop up sometime, golf tomorrow though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Dont even begin to guess where I was parked. I have been travelling up and down that coast for a lot longer than 11 years. May I remind you of rule 1. You may not agree with my post, but that does not give you the right to call it rubbish. Am sure there are many funsters that agree with you that La Manga is a wonderful place, but there are just as many that will agree its shut in winter :cool:.
I think you two are arguing at crossed purposes. I suspect one is referring to the narrow strip of land between the Mar Menor and the sea, often called La Manga strip, and the other is referring to the La Manga campsite, which is not on the strip, but which fronts onto the Mar Menor.

The campsite is definitely open all year, and is very popular with Brits staying over the winter. So much so that the C&CC usually have a winter rally there over the winter period. It is a bit of a marmite site - you either love it or hate it. My brother loves it - has wintered there for a good few years now. We visited them there in March 2014 and were glad to get away after a week. March can be very windy and when it blows it is cold and miserable. Not a lot to do but drink, and I suspect our livers would not have stood the pace! But, as I say, others love it.

It is a very big site and many of the pitches have been bought (or long leased) by Spanish (and some other nations). The result is a bit hit and miss. Some parts look OK and others look a bit like Dale Farm. It was the only place I have seen a double decker caravan - one welded on top of another with an outside staircase, and neither had moved for many years.

We also drove down the La Manga strip while we were there and it was very quiet. Most businesses were closed, but one or two showed some signs of life.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back