Kon Tiki Electrics

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by bigbnb, May 18, 2014.

1. bigbnb

bigbnb Read Only Funster

hi, new to site but motorhomed for many years, had my Kon Tiki Fiat L Chassis for some years, reg in 2000, just recently the internal electrics ie lights, water pump, flusher etc only works when hooked to mains, once unplugged, 'nothing'. Battery selector tells me both domestic and vehicle battery are full charged, any ideas where I should be looking?:Wink:

2. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

Try unplugging the control panel from supply, sometime the software gets screwed up and unplugging reboots the system

Peter

• Like Like x 1
  3. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

sounds like a dodgy leisure battery or connectors. the reason you get power when plugged in is the charger is providing 12v to the system

oh or it could be the shut off relay that kills power to the rear when driving has failed. again the charger will provide power and the battery will be fully charged

4. RS_rob

RS_rob Funster

buy yourself a sealey auto probe for 23.50 & attach it to your leisure battery & probe away @ your electrics :BigGrin: best tool I ever bought :Cool:

5. bigbnb

bigbnb Read Only Funster

Kon Tiki domestic elec

Thanks for replies, can you describe (a) where the control panel might be and what it might look like, and (b) the cut out for when engine running, any idea of location and description, there are a few 'bits' under the bonnet which could be it, but awkward to access and not worth the effort if not the right thing, the fridge for example will only work on battery when engine running so there is a relay of some description for that, there is a relay near the battery charger in wardrobe but I have changed that with no joy. A description of the 'engine running' cut out would be good:Eeek:

6. bigbnb

bigbnb Read Only Funster

Any help with this please

Any help re ID will be appreciated

7. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

not exactly certain which control panel your van has, but as its a 2000 model its not likely to be digital. you should have a bank of switches and a battery condition meter

the cut out relay that isolates the rear electrics when the engine is running could be by the charger, thats usual. however it varies between makes and individual models. you say you changed the relay but no joy. did you check that its working using a meter?

the fridge and charge relays are generally under the bonnet near the battery on that age of van. later models with cab battery under the floor are more complicated

sounds a bit like you may need to speak to an auto electrician to get it sorted, as without a full understanding of how it works, you are not likely to find the fault too quickly

8. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

forget the control panel.....it has an anologue/mechanical panel with very little to go wrong.

The 'engine running' inhibitor relay could be the one you mention near the charger in the wardrobe but lift the seat cushion directly to the rear of the wardrobe and look towards the wardrobe base just below the seat frame....my inhibitor relay was there.

To check the relay......disconnect terminals 87 and 30 and with a short length of wire join the removed wires together.

If it is the relay at fault then simply bypass it as above.....its only some stupid caravan council recommendation to have it, the majority of european vans dont have one.

Last edited: May 24, 2014
  9. DP_JAY

DP_JAY Funster Life Member

The fridge is supposed to only work on 12v with the engine running, thats normal.

10. bigbnb

bigbnb Read Only Funster

Thanks all, terminals 87 and 30 - are they on the ignition switch ? the relay in wardrobe the replacement is 'nearly' identical, it has the same readings on meter however I feel it operates differently when it has a charge going to it, must try to get an 'identical' one today then try other suggestions. I agree with the BigOne, not likely to solve quickly !!! :)

11. eddievanbitz

eddievanbitz Trader - Funster

Start with the basics. You have a switch on the control panel, In the middle position everything will work when the van is plugged in as the main charger is providing the 12vdc

When on mains, if you flick the switch to van, it will charge the van battery, if you flick it the other way it will charge the leisure battery. Conversly when not on mains hook up, the same action will determin which battery powers things like pump, lights and heating.

If the swich is left in the middle position, when the mains hook up is unplugged, the van will do exactly what yours is doing!

• Like Like x 1