Kodi Arrests (1 Viewer)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
It's not actually kodi though is it, you have to get Phoenix , or salts, or exodus, or some other addon to get anything so why does no one mention them?

Because without the Kodi platform to add on to they are all just random bits of useless code.

Kodi's only option to carry on might be to become closed source and not permit add ons of any description. How much use it would then be even for legitimate purposes I don't know.

It would also go completely against the whole open source ethos of the project so it may well be that they decide they would rather shut it down than do that.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Because without the Kodi platform to add on to they are all just random bits of useless code.

Kodi's only option to carry on might be to become closed source and not permit add ons of any description. How much use it would then be even for legitimate purposes I don't know.

It would also go completely against the whole open source ethos of the project so it may well be that they decide they would rather shut it down than do that.
Yes but why prosecute kodi for doing something they havnt done , you might as well prosecute Amazon for providing a firestick for getting the kodi on or even your tv maker for allowing a firestick to work on it, it's never ending.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
But ... kodi has access to stacks of quite legal content too ... so it's people not kodi that's the problem.
As I said.. kodi isnt illegal.
Yes, I didn't deny that. My point is that using Kodi to bypass copyright protection is illegal.

Also, no matter how much they may deny it, it is obvious that a large number of Kodi box owners have only bought them because they consider it quite OK if they breach copyright.
Yes but why prosecute kodi for doing something they havnt done , you might as well prosecute Amazon for providing a firestick for getting the kodi on or even your tv maker for allowing a firestick to work on it, it's never ending.
Nobody is prosecuting Kodi or has any intention to do so. The people arrested are charged with selling boxes modified with third-party add-ons in order to enable buyers to easily commit copyright theft. The defendant in the case being brought in Middlesbrough claims that is not an offence but trading standards claim that it is. The court will decide one way or another and then that point will have been clarified.

However, even if selling modified boxes is deemed legal their use to breach copyright will still be theft.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User

Because if they went after the developers of the add ons it would be never ending. As fast as they shut one down another one would pop up.

It's far easier, quicker and cheaper to argue that Kodi are facilitating the illegal activity by permitting the add ons and just go for them once.

It may well be that Amazon will at some point decide to dump Android and use some other closed source OS that won't accept third party software on all future devices just to protect themselves.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Nobody is prosecuting Kodi or has any intention to do so.

At some point the various groups of rights holders will decide they've had enough and get together and do something about it.

That will happen in the US where the XBMC Foundation is based, not here.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
It's one of those things where if the people using Kodi had been sensible enough to keep quiet about it nobody would have noticed them. By shouting to all and sundry on the internet that they can get subscription TV for "free" using this software and encouraging everyone else to use it as well they've drawn attention to what's happening and so made sure that rights holders groups will feel obliged to do something about it.

I don't know what they expected to happen really.

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
I obviously don't watch enough TV as I have no idea what your on about, I'm assuming it's an illegal way of watching free what should be paid for media content, is that right and how do I get one?:rolleyes:(y)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I obviously don't watch enough TV as I have no idea what your on about, I'm assuming it's an illegal way of watching free what should be paid for media content, is that right and how do I get one?:rolleyes:(y)
eBay, but obviously they are another one that should be on the list:(

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
Lots of Kodi alternatives available already, closing Kodi would be a very short term fix.
The builds becoming available have links to higher quality streams, so you don't have to compromise on quality (as you often do with Kodi add-ons).

I think the media providers need to reassess their business models, imo they currently don't offer vfm.
Let's be honest Sky is a rip-off, even before you start paying for extra content.
Yes they have some quality shows but the majority is low quality tv and re-runs.
It's one of the few services I resent paying for (money going to Murdoch doesn't help)
Offer media at a reasonable cost and customers will happily pay.
Spotify, Deezer and Apple Music for example, have proved that it's possible to massively reduce piracy and still make money.

Kodi if anything, has highlighted the huge potential market for an all encompassing 'one stop' destination for on demand media.
Get the platform, content and pricing right, you're onto a winner.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Lots of Kodi alternatives available already, closing Kodi would be a very short term fix.
The builds becoming available have links to higher quality streams, so you don't have to compromise on quality (as you often do with Kodi add-ons).

I think the media providers need to reassess their business models, imo they currently don't offer vfm.
Let's be honest Sky is a rip-off, even before you start paying for extra content.
Yes they have some quality shows but the majority is low quality tv and re-runs.
It's one of the few services I resent paying for (money going to Murdoch doesn't help)
Offer media at a reasonable cost and customers will happily pay.
Spotify, Deezer and Apple Music for example, have proved that it's possible to massively reduce piracy and still make money.

Kodi if anything, has highlighted the huge potential market for an all encompassing 'one stop' destination for on demand media.
Get the platform, content and pricing right, you're onto a winner.
Still doesn't justify copyright theft though does it?

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Football match.........
Sky, bt et all...........
Canada tv, us tv, French tv, Russian tv etc all live.......
Phoenix, sport devil etc.........
Metal kettle repository........
Kodi......
Android........
Phone ,tablet, set top box etc.........
Amazon firestick
App for installing kodi........
eBay etc......
China sellers etc.....
Tv for the pictures..........

Quite a list(n)(n)(n) none work without the other

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User

Yes, your absolutely correct but those services and all the other subscription based music services came into being as a direct result of the Napster case. Even Napster itself is a subscription based streaming service these days.

If the Metallica, and then the big lawsuits hadn't happened none of those services would exist.

They didn't just leave the pirates alone, set up pay services and then rely on people's good nature to give up their free access and pay for it instead.

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Your internet provider has means of checking what you are downloading, there was a post some time ago that they had been warned by BT about using a Kodi type box and were waiting for an official note through the post. That's how Napster were tracked down, some providers at the time blocked the Napster downloads:(

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Your internet provider has means of checking what you are downloading, there was a post some time ago that they had been warned by BT about using a Kodi type box and were waiting for an official note through the post. That's how Napster were tracked down, some providers at the time blocked the Napster downloads:(
There I missed the biggest one of the lot off my list, the INTERNET(n)

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Kodi ? KODI?
I'll have to look that one up.
Bring back the wireless.

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
It seems there is a lot of confusion here.

Kodi is not illegal. It is a media play the same as VLC or Windows Media Player is.

Like VLC, Thunderbird and Chrome it allows addons/plugins.

Some people (not SBMC/Kodi) have released addons that circumvent copyright protection or allow the streaming of pirated channels.

None of these addons have been produced by Kodi/SBMC.

The people arrested have taken an android hardware platform, installed Kodi and some of these illegal plugins. They are therefore enabling copyright theft. This is what they have been arrested for not for selling the Kodi boxes themselves. (hardware or software)

My warning in the OP was to let you know that if you had bought a "Fully Loaded" Kodi box including the illegal software that the Police may now have your details from the sales records. This increases your risk of prosecution because they have confirmed you have purchased equipment that can be used for piracy. It is possible for them to get your IP address from your ISP and monitor your traffic on torrents to gain proof. Whilst this is technically possible I don't know the actual legalities or requirements for them to do this. I was simply warning people that there is an increased risk now.

If you had bought a base Kodi box or installed Kodi on your own hardware then there is little if any increased risk.

On the morals of stealing that is for you and your conscience to decide upon.

Kodi/SBMC will not be put out of business by this and they won't face any legal action as they have not broken any laws.

The only way the Media companies will win on this is by making all programs available easily and cost effectively. Currently there is no way to get for example Game of Thrones in this country unless you have a Subscription to an expensive TV package or Wait till the DVD comes out.

The music industry has learned and you can now buy music without geo-restrictions and at a reasonable price. Fighting piracy by technical means or legal means has been proven not to work for the music industry, once the Film/TV industry realises this they will start becoming more profitable like the Music industry has.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
All this publicity is going to make it very popular now it's national news:(

Bugger,.... Hope it dont slow my streaming down... :(
Want to watch Lego batman at the weekend..;)

Deleted User
"My warning in the OP was to let you know that if you had bought a "Fully Loaded" Kodi box including the illegal software that the Police may now have your details from the sales records. This increases your risk of prosecution because they have confirmed you have purchased equipment that can be used for piracy. It is possible for them to get your IP address from your ISP and monitor your traffic on torrents to gain proof. Whilst this is technically possible I don't know the actual legalities or requirements for them to do this. I was simply warning people that there is an increased risk now."

But is it illegal to download 'illegal software' or just illegal to make it available.
As I said in a previous post the Fact Uk website gives the following advice on Digital Content

"How to stay safe and legal when downloading films, music, books, games and TV shows.

Downloading illegal content can leave you and your family exposed to malware, viruses, scams and fraud. In the workplace, illegal downloading and file sharing can have serious repercussions for businesses. Spyware can infiltrate systems and firewalls compromising network security."

They don't say that it is illegal to download. They just warn about the risks of malware, scams etc. If it is illegal to watch it then surely the organisation responsible for tracking down and prosecuting offenders would have made it plain that it was illegal.[/QUOTE]

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005

Disclaimer: We’re not legal experts, and we’re merely reporting on what the Court of Justice of the European Union has said. The current situation appears to be that you are not breaking any EU law by using a website or software to watch copyrighted content that has been made available by someone else. Morally, of course, it’s a completely different matter. But we’re not going to debate the morality of it here: we’re concerned only with legality.
Just because it is not illegal under EU law doesn't mean it isn't illegal under UK law?

For example some drugs aren't illegal under EU law but are illegal under UK law.

A point worth noting is that FACT has this to say.

Ultimately, anyone accessing content from a pirate site is involving themselves in unlawful behaviour, often putting money into the hands of criminals.

In the past, listeners were fined for illegally downloading and streaming music from websites, but the owners of the rights to the music later abandoned this strategy. Instead they worked with legitimate sites such as Spotify where listeners pay to stream.

As far as TV or movies are concerned, Fact says no one in Britain has ever been fined or prosecuted for illegally streaming content.

Fact explained: “When it comes to catching those involved in piracy, it is not our strategy to prosecute the end user [people streaming films at home]. Our interest lies in identifying, disrupting and if necessary prosecuting the individuals who defraud the creative industries by knowingly stealing content – and who then make that content available through illegitimate means for their own financial benefit or kudos.”

Just because this is their current position doesn't mean it won't change.

One thing to be wary of, if you stream to save, then give these files to someone else you are then looking at a potentially different situation of distributing.

My original post was about the potential risk. If you don't think there is a risk or think the risk is tolerable. Knock yourself out.. I am not that bothered.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
It is illegal according to this, but it isn't a criminal offence. The owner of the copyright would have to sue you under civil law. I suspect the chances of that happening might be a bit remote at the moment, but things might change.
Link Removed

Sep 4, 2011
Funster No
MH
No more
Tell me if i'm wrong but i was told Kodi came from Mamahd which is where i watch sport when not on my Virgin, sounds a bit rude :ROFLMAO:

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
It's one of those things where if the people using Kodi had been sensible enough to keep quiet about it nobody would have noticed them. By shouting to all and sundry on the internet that they can get subscription TV for "free" using this software and encouraging everyone else to use it as well they've drawn attention to what's happening and so made sure that rights holders groups will feel obliged to do something about it.

I don't know what they expected to happen really.

I agree with that, social media is also full of developers advertising what's on their add ons, timings for sport etc, along with numerous 'how to download kodi or wookie' videos on YouTube it now has a huge network of illegal streaming.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
It is illegal according to this, but it isn't a criminal offence. The owner of the copyright would have to sue you under civil law. I suspect the chances of that happening might be a bit remote at the moment, but things might change.
Link Removed
Whether suing would be remote is open to question. It all depends on what would be likely to be achieved.

Not all that long ago I discovered that some of my copyright material had been republished without (even asking for) my consent. I contacted the company responsible for an explanation of why and what they intended doing as a result of my discovering the breach. The company took legal advice which was that they were bang to rights could expect to have to pay a certain amount of compensation and costs (theirs and mine) of a far higher amount. We settled out of court for an amount which was more than a court would have been likely to award but rather less than that amount plus costs. The company didn't just want to save money but also the embarrassment of having to admit an employee had made a serious error.

Some years ago I succeeded in having somebody banned from eBay for copying one of my company's products and selling copies as if they were his own originals.

When my POI database was copied some years ago I didn't take legal action but succeeded in stopping the breaches. On subsequent consideration I think I should have taken it further.

Given the spread of the problem I can easily see a copyright owner making an example of somebody to deter others.

Deleted User
Link Removed
Perhaps one of the reasons that not much effort has been put into tracking down those who watch the downloads is that it will be very difficult to track down and prove who actually was watching it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back