Kodi Arrests (1 Viewer)

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
A number of suppliers of the Illegal fully loaded Kodi boxes have been arrested.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-38906561

Their sales records are now in police hands. I am not saying people who bought these devices will be getting their doors knocked down. However it is "possible" that the Media Industries anti piracy body may get a subpoena for these records? The City of London has their PIPCU unit that is in the pocket of Media Rights holders so it is not beyond belief that they will get involved as well...

Just putting a warning out there of the possibility.

Reactions: DBK

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
Seems strange that the article says five have been arrested yet further on says that the sale of said boxes is subject to a legal test. So how can the five be arrested on a legal test?

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Seems strange that the article says five have been arrested yet further on says that the sale of said boxes is subject to a legal test. So how can the five be arrested on a legal test?
They will have been arrested on suspicion so they could seize evidence? The boxes will be subject to tests and then then a decision will be made on whether to charge or not?
Just my guess.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 9, 2017
Luton
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
I imagine there 10's of thousand of box's in circulation- i cannot see everyone being prosecuted- then you have persons who have Firesticks and loaded Kodi themselves :rolleyes:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I imagine there 10's of thousand of box's in circulation- i cannot see everyone being prosecuted- then you have persons who have Firesticks and loaded Kodi themselves :rolleyes:

"Are you feeling lucky punk ?"

Deleted User
There's nothing illegal about buying hardware with Kodi pre-loaded. What the authorities are cracking down on is people selling boxes which are pre-configured to access copyrighted TV shows, films and pay-per-view events for free.

Plenty of headlines suggest that users are being targeted by law enforcement, but in fact there is no evidence of this. Organisations are actively after those who sell and distribute copyrighted material or devices which allow people to access it.

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
Maybe we should have a prize / award for the first Funster successfully prosecuted? o_O

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
There's nothing illegal about buying hardware with Kodi pre-loaded. .

In reality they are just going for the easy target. It's those ripping the originals that are the villains of the piece.

It's just like taking the sellers of sports cars to court because the cars can exceed the speed limit.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
There's nothing illegal about buying hardware with Kodi pre-loaded. What the authorities are cracking down on is people selling boxes which are pre-configured to access copyrighted TV shows, films and pay-per-view events for free.

Plenty of headlines suggest that users are being targeted by law enforcement, but in fact there is no evidence of this. Organisations are actively after those who sell and distribute copyrighted material or devices which allow people to access it.
There is a test case ongoing in this area to establish whether selling pre-loaded boxes is legal.

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Surely all pc's are capable of downloading pirate materials, and recently there was a case of a laser blocker ( blocks speed camera zappers), which is legal to sell but illegal to use:confused::confused:

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I will blame our Matty....
These 11 year old are just to clever for their own good.. :D

I only bought the fire stick to watch "Clarkson" me lord... ;)

Deleted User
https://www.fact-uk.org.uk/ is the organisation responsible for the arrests.

They have an advice section on Digital content

Link Removed

They warn that downloading illegal content can make you exposed to viruses, scams and fraud but it does not say that the person downloading the content is breaking the law. If they were breaking the law then I am sure they would have highlighted this.

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
They warn that downloading illegal content can make you exposed to viruses, scams and fraud but it does not say that the person downloading the content is breaking the law. If they were breaking the law then I am sure they would have highlighted this.
Or perhaps they expect people to know now that piracy is illegal. They have been putting it on the front of all my legal DVD's since I can remember. They are just adding to the pressure.

Deleted User
Or perhaps they expect people to know now that piracy is illegal.
Possibly but with the arrests announced today this would have given Fact UK the ideal opportunity to emphasis that it is illegal to watch it.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
, and recently there was a case of a laser blocker ( blocks speed camera zappers), which is legal to sell but illegal to use:confused::confused:
They aren't illegal to use either. I've used one for 25 years . Porche used to build them into their Carrera 2 & 4 cars.No idea if they still do.
It is getting caught & pleading guilty to "obstructing a copper" , which you aren't , that gets you found guilty.
They tried prosecuting years ago under the wireless &
telgraphy (? ) act but as the blocker is basically a "mirror" & reflects the same signal, except distorted, & doesn't generate a signal it was all thrown out.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
They will have to look very hard to find mine, its 2000 miles away. Do you think the flying squad will be involved :).

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
They needn't come looking for ours, as it was ordered in someone else's name, and then loaded with Kodi before it got to us. ;)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Owning kodi isnt illegal it's freely available... neither is owning a box with kodi on.
But using Kodi to bypass copyright protection is illegal and harms the copyright owner who has probably put in a great deal of resource (whether cash or time) to make the material available under a specific licence.
In my own case, when people copied my MY parking POIs and passed them off as their own the subsequent withdrawal of the POI set meant that those who had used it legally no longer had access to an up to date copy.
Why should copyright owners tolerate selfish people cheating them?

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
But using Kodi to bypass copyright protection is illegal and harms the copyright owner who has probably put in a great deal of resource (whether cash or time) to make the material available under a specific licence.
In my own case, when people copied my MY parking POIs and passed them off as their own the subsequent withdrawal of the POI set meant that those who had used it legally no longer had access to an up to date copy.
Sadly many people see copyright theft as a victimless crime.
But theft is theft however you try and disguise or legitimise it.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
But ... kodi has access to stacks of quite legal content too ... so it's people not kodi that's the problem.
As I said.. kodi isnt illegal.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
But ... kodi has access to stacks of quite legal content too ... so it's people not kodi that's the problem.

It was possible to use Napster legally. People didn't.

Look what happened there.

This will ultimately play out in exactly the same way. The developers of Kodi are facilitating the access of illegal streams whether that was their intention or not. The Napster case set the precedent.

The developers will be faced with a choice of modifying Kodi so it isn't possible to use it to access illegal streams or take it down altogether.

My guess is that they will be unable to come up with a way of modifying it that fits with the ethos of the project so within a couple of years it will be gone.

The XBMC Foundation is not for profit so they won't have the resources for protected legal battles even if they thought they had the remotest chance of winning, which they don't

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Sadly many people see copyright theft as a victimless crime.
But theft is theft however you try and disguise or legitimise it.

load of scare mongering , now lets see whats on Kodi tonight :D
It's not actually kodi though is it, you have to get Phoenix , or salts, or exodus, or some other addon to get anything so why does no one mention them?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back