Kobran Handbrake Extender

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by whiskers27, Aug 8, 2009.

1. whiskers27

whiskers27 Read Only Funster

2. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Last edited: Aug 8, 2009
  3. sirhandel

sirhandel Read Only Funster

I bought a Kobran for my 2006 Peugeot Boxer based Elddis. It did the job effectively but I thought it expensive for what it was. The driver's seat didn't swivel so no problem there, but I found that with the handbrake+Kobran ON, if you turned right and slid sideways off the seat you could end up with a nasty bruise/graize to your thigh. Mind you - you only do it once, or twice if you're stupid like me.....

I then bought a 2009 Ducato based Rapido and tried in vain to transfer it. It just wouldn't fit over the rubber hand-hold. Sold it half price on this forum.

4. JayDee

JayDee Funster

Kobran v Rare Spares

I really needed a handbrake extender for our MH and looked into the Kobran, but decided that some of the reports of it being a bit flimsy, plus the serious disadvantage of it preventing the driver's seat from swivelling caused me to not bother.

I then spotted the Rare Spares one that is sold on this forum and decided that the extra £30 for something that was sturdier and folded out of the way to allow the seat to swivel was a good deal.

I purchased one and having fitted it, I'm absolutely delighted with it. The mechanism acts in a similar way to a sport handbrake, in that you lift the handle and lower it to the floor - no button to push; lifting the handle achieves that. There is a bit of a technique to engaging the brake; as you lift the handle you need to put an element of forward tilt to your wrist. This will ensure a positive and readily felt engagement.

I love it and my wife, who had great difficulty reaching the handbrake before, finds it so much easier, though she has only driven the vehicle once or twice since I fitted it.

My opinion - forget the Kobran, spend the extra £30 or so. Fitting is straightforward. You won't regret it. :thumb:

John

5. Zozzer

Zozzer Read Only Funster

I have a Kobran on our 2003 Autosleeper and don't see any problems with it.
    Well worth every penny I spent on it.

6. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

Support FUN by buying >>
    [​IMG]
    The profits keep Fun going and keep it FREE

Peter

7. ingram

ingram Read Only Funster

One of the 'Fun' members did a 'long term' report on the 'Rare Spares' one. There was a comment about the possibility of accidentally releasing it when exiting the 'van, which I have seen repeated elsewhere. Other than that I think it was mostly good.

A search for 'handbrake' should find it.

I think it worth researching as much as you can about these ( or any other ) products before purchase. My research favours the Rare Spares so far but they both have pros and cons I think. I haven't actually seen either of them in the real plastic or metal and I would be making an effort to do that before lashing out any money on either, if I was considering buying one.

Harvey

8. Linda and Steph

Linda and Steph Funster

That does happen but it isn't a problem since I always turn off the engine and put the van into gear before exiting anyway. Also, it takes just a few seconds to remove the pin and swing the extender out of the way.

I can't imagine driving George without the extender now, especially thinking back to hill-starts :Eeek:

9. patr

patr Read Only Funster

I have had both handbrake extenders and both have their merits but......

Rare Spares
    • Folds down to allow seat to swivel
    • Once fitted to handbrake lever it stays on (25000 miles later)
    • Nothing to break as it is made entirely from metal (rubber grip excepted)
    • Expensive but truly worth it (according to my back)
    • Beautifully engineered and made to last
    Kobran

• None of the above

10. Zozzer

Zozzer Read Only Funster

As a Quality Engineer with an extremely critical eye, I have found NONE of the reported faults above in the 20,000+ miles that our Kobran handbrake extender has been fitted to our Autosleeper.

The Kobran is perfectly fit for the purpose it was intended, and fitting is easy once you have completed an intentive mechanical engineering apprenticeship, and two nights a week study into the secrets of the screwdriver.