Knowledge,at what cost?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Vlad The Impaler, Nov 11, 2012.

1. Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler Funster

I can remember the day I picked up my Motorhome,driving home grinning away like a Cheshire Cat,totally ignorant thinking of happy days.
    Then things start to change! You buy Magazines,join websites and all the information you can handle and more starts running around your head.You find out you can't just live your dream because you didn't know about hook ups ,battery banks,solar pannels,regulators,12v,invertors and the like.
    Anyway you get the van ££££££. Find out tyres with great tread are actually 8yrs old and been on van from new!( watch out for that one ) so new tyres needed ££££££. Tax and insurance ( to be expected and cheaper than thought) ££. Sort out solar pannels and regulator £££££££ .12v TV plus Leads for various things ££££££ .
    All that's sorted,then off to Scotland wild camping for a fortnight feeling a lot lighter in he wallet ,however to have the best holiday of my life and wake up with views like that was priceless.
    Anyway back home you look at your van,in this case a 2004 looking tired autotrail,so polish it up and it's looking good, Infact years younger!
    So you think happy days and look ahead to your next trip.Then it hits you more info, I now find out about resealing!!! Apparently roof lights should be resealed every 5yrs or so,lockers skirts etc at some point!!! More bloody £££££££££££££
    There's me trying to save for Xmas .
    Aside from the above all is well in Vlads world ,I even let Mrs Vlad drive home today ,1st time,and we all survived.I was just wondering how many of you do this resealing or even knew it had to be done. And is it really necessary.
    If so instead of a mini meet anyone up for a bank job.

VLAD.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2012
    • Like Like x 11
  2. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Who says that ?

Let me guess, people who reseal motorhomes.

If it works don't fix it.

• Like Like x 11
  3. FIDGET

FIDGET Funster

Had my Pilote which was 12 years old no problem as already said if no prob leave alone.

• Like Like x 1
  4. wiljoy

wiljoy Funster

I feel so sorry for you I have woken the pigeon and attached a fiver to his leg and sent him down to you, I will expect some change. On a serious note now.
    Re-seal???, 11 motorhomes, never done it. Check the joints yourself for signs of cracking or sections missing. Most Funsters will probably give the same answer unless they re-seal motorhomes for a living.

• Like Like x 2
  5. lorger

lorger Funster

Never been told it had to be done after a set time I just check them when cleaning roof

• Like Like x 1
  6. Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler Funster

No Need for the pigeon.the post was ment to be tongue in cheek .I suppose the replys say what the thread was meant to indicate.You buy your van set it up but the more you read ,the more you seem to be told what you need or what you should be doing and when. Now I know it's only ADVICE: but choosing which of it to follow ain't that easy.
    :Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:

• Like Like x 2
  7. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

never resealed a motorhome but boy wished I did when I had that Coachman caravan many years ago.:Rofl1:

If and its a big If I was going to do it I would do it myself.

I find a monthly scoot round with a decent damp meter, understanding what one means and then if you have a leek ( ive had 3 motorhomes and a leek in every one :Blush: find out why and where and fix it before the damage gets too bad. :thumb:

all of mine involved locker door's, There's your first clue :Wink:

A good look around and spotting any potential problems ie cracked sealant and jobs done.

So stop panicking, stop worrying and keep enjoying :thumb:

Ps I reckon within 2 years you will be in the shop for another Motorhome anyway :Wink:

• Like Like x 2
  8. wiljoy

wiljoy Funster

As you know by now a lot of the advice is very dodgy but it all goes into our heads. Which advice we choose I suppose maps out our future in this expensive hobby.
    Whatever you decide good luck and no offence was intended with the pigeon.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

I have even seen posts saying A frames are illegal:Eeek:

• Like Like x 1
  10. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

And someone that knows someone that's been gassed :Eeek:

• Like Like x 2
  11. Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler Funster

I know who's doing the gassing in our van,it's always the dog

12. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

I know someone who knew someone who had a friend who lived in the same street ans someone was gassed by an A-Frame which was connected with reverse polarity.

• Like Like x 5
  13. grumps147

grumps147 Funster

...... And, it was 23'9" long

• Like Like x 4
  14. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

and was for sale for [STRIKE]£29999[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]£26999[/STRIKE][HI] £24999[/HI] [STRIKE]£31999[/STRIKE][STRIKE] £22999[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]£18999[/STRIKE] [HI]£14999[/HI] [STRIKE]£21995 less toys and deposit[/STRIKE]

• Like Like x 2
  15. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

All well and good, but was the A-frame resealed at any time ?

• Like Like x 2
  16. SC 05 OUT

SC 05 OUT Funster

its good idea to re-seal the a frame keeps out any damp, give it good wax oil as well, it will help keeps its value, you know it makes sense:thumb:

ps dont forget to change the tyres every other trip, dont want a blow out:Rofl1:

• Like Like x 2
  17. rainbow chasers

rainbow chasers Read Only Funster

Don't worry Vlad - Advice is advice, you can take it or leave it! Advice is given on the basis of it being a perfect world....and it isn't, so don't worry about being a perfect owner! Many get by without doing everything.

The reason people do this, is to look after their investment. If you are likely to trade in against another, rather than reselling yourself - then don't panic as they will mark it down whatever you do!

If you are going to keep it until it falls apart - then do the best you can as it will last longer.

You can be a perfect owner, in a perfect world where money isn't an issue and no one has bills to pay. It doesn't exist! Just enjoy!

• Like Like x 2
  18. Terry

Terry Funster

Well Vlad if you read Jims and my reply to Scouts post I think you will have the jist :BigGrin::Wink:
    All they are doing to Scouts van is tidying it up :Smile:Not resealing, really simply cutting back over spill from sealent and sticking new on top :Wink: If it makes him happy and tidy's it up then it's not a complete waste of money :Wink::BigGrin::Doh:Forgot they are also taking the internal window off and tidying up the board :Smile:
    terry

19. SC 05 OUT

SC 05 OUT Funster

Terry,

As a Joiner you probably have the skills to do the work I’m having done, presumably also a shed/workshop to do it in and quite possibly like all tradesmen you odd half day here and there between your work as a joiner to it. Unfortunately I don’t have a large shed or spare time (if I’ve got time away from my business then I’m away in the van). I’ve probably not got the perfect skills needed but I could make a good stab at it, but I’m too old/heavy to go climbing over the roof so I prefer to pay to have it done, the work in my opinion does need doing, if left over winter water could get behind where the current sealant is failing and freeze this will cause problems later. I’m not stupid, I would not pay to have work done that I did not deem needing doing long term, in fact I think it will make my van more sale-able and fetch a much better price when I come to sell it, which I will do private. I always buy and sell privately and that’s possibly one of the reasons the work needs doing, its seven years old and has not been traded back to a dealer at any time, this sort of work would normally be done when a van is taken in px, to tidy it up for the sale forecourt.

I can see why as a panel van conversion owner you can see why its pointless as on panel vans there is not the type of seal I’m referring too (except the roof lights/lockers) you do not have over trims (covering the main sealant) edged up with a bead of sealant as there are on coach builds, and heavily present on Auto trails.

It’s a pity we did not find each other before this seems like an ideal extra revenue source for you, you would not believe the amount of dealers/one man band service fitters I spoke to before I decided it would go to camper auk, one dealer even said they would seal it with SILICON even I know that’s not right.:Doh:

PS Am I on 10% now:thumb:

• Like Like x 2
  20. buttons

buttons Funster

Case not already mentioned, dont use power wash or fierce hose on joints when washing. Unless of course you are removing old filler before resealing:Smile:

Last edited: Nov 13, 2012
    • Like Like x 1