Knowing the number 112 when travelling (1 Viewer)

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
In the early hours of this morning, whilst on a camperstop in Andalusia, we got a knock on our door. Once we'd ascertained that it wasn't scrotes up to no good we opened the door to a British lady asking for help to call for an ambulance for her husband who was suffering convulsions. She didn't know how to call for an ambulance in Spain so this is advice to all travellers WHEREVER you are to remember the number 112. This gets you to an international call centre in your own language who will coordinate in emergencies, fire, police, ambulance.

Martin called this number for them and within 30 minutes her husband was in an ambulance on his way to hospital. We hope all goes well for him. We left our details for them to keep us informed if they wish.

So remember - 112!

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Thank you.

do you know if the man was ok? :(

He suffered convulsions a second time when the ambulance arrived. In Spain a doctor comes with the ambulance and he said straight to the hospital. We left at 6.30 am, as we were up, to meet our friends in Badajoz at lunchtime so didn't see them again. We left his wife our card with our details so she could keep us informed if she wanted to. If we hear from her I'll post on here.

He was a fit, 55 year old, planning to ride 50km on the cycle way today and not had any problems before, so you never know what's in store for you do you?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Slightly off topic but if youre in the UK and dial 911 or 112 it gets you through to 999.

I havent tried it but am well informed it is true

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Slightly off topic but if youre in the UK and dial 911 or 112 it gets you through to 999.

I havent tried it but am well informed it is true
Not quite.....911 will get you a dead tone if anything.
Too many American movies.

There are just two emergency numbers in the UK.
112 or 999

112 is used in ALL European states.

101 is non emergency police
102 is non emergency NHS

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Not quite.....911 will get you a dead tone if anything.
There are just two emergency numbers in the UK.
112 or 999

112 is used in ALL European states.

101 is non emergency police
102 is non emergency NHS
I will have a pop at our defibrillator trainer !

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Thanks Judith ,we learnt this on the recent first aid course instead or aswell as 999

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
102 is non emergency NHS
111?

And apparently most/all UK mobile networks redirect 911 to 999, but it's not really something you would want to try intentionally in an emergency. - Gellyneck's link confirms this.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Not American by any chance ?
No he is "Pure" british, and told us it was not known but it would divert, I am beginning to remember something about it coming from mobile phones.
I have regular use of calling 999 (3 or 4 times a shift sometimes) and on the less important ones (completely self inflicted comatose idiots) i ll give it a try. I think i have my 6 month retraining next week (Another 4 hours of my life i wont get back)

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
.... to call for an ambulance for her husband who was suffering convulsions. .... so this is advice to all travellers WHEREVER you are to remember the number 112. This gets you to an international call centre in your own language who will coordinate in emergencies, fire, police, ambulance.

So remember - 112!

Is this true? A call centre in your own language? It would certainly help us travellers.

I am not aware of such a facility in the U.K., unless anyone can tell us different.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Thanks Judith - (y)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
111?

And apparently most/all UK mobile networks redirect 911 to 999, but it's not really something you would want to try intentionally in an emergency. - Gellyneck's link confirms this.
For the definitive answer I contacted BT.
This is their response.....

Screenshot_2017-02-22-16-49-35.png

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
@movan

Update on the patient. His wife has just called to let us know that her husband was taken by helicopter from the local hospital to another hospital near Córdoba and he has a lesion on his brain and is in intensive care awaiting an operation.

moulin 87

Free Member
Aug 31, 2015
Limousin, France
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Espirit T7150
Exp
In France 112 is the number to ring from a mobile...No actual guarantee to connect to an English speaker though most do...

From a landline dial 15 for medical (SAMU), 17 Police, 18 for Fire Brigade...

From a landline they know exactly where you are, you do not need to try and explain in a foreign language...

I think in France if you require an Air Ambulance, it will come with a hefty bill, emergency or not...

On the one occasion we have needed to ring 15 for a medical assistance it was a doctor based in a hospital control room who took the call, he liaised directly with the ambulance crew who came to collect the patient and then with the hospital emergency department where he was taken...

Last edited:

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Bloody hell, you did a good thing getting the ambulance this morning then, hope things work out ok for them.
Ditto. The type of emergency where minutes count. I'm just glad that @jumartoo, Judith & Martin were able to help as quickly as they did. (y)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
In the early hours of this morning, whilst on a camperstop in Andalusia, we got a knock on our door. Once we'd ascertained that it wasn't scrotes up to no good we opened the door to a British lady asking for help to call for an ambulance for her husband who was suffering convulsions. She didn't know how to call for an ambulance in Spain so this is advice to all travellers WHEREVER you are to remember the number 112. This gets you to an international call centre in your own language who will coordinate in emergencies, fire, police, ambulance.

Martin called this number for them and within 30 minutes her husband was in an ambulance on his way to hospital. We hope all goes well for him. We left our details for them to keep us informed if they wish.

So remember - 112!

A couple of cautions.....112 is indeed the Emergency Services number in Spain (and all across Europe) but it doesn't connect you to an international call centre in your own language.
The call handlers answering your call will be Spanish.
The national language here in Spain is Spanish. You MAY get a call handler who can also speak some English, or can pass your car to another one on duty who can do so, but there's no guarantee ..so get a Spanish speaker to make the call if possible.
Also, the ambulance service in Spain, like most mainland European countries, is private. There are hundreds of ambulance companies across the country. The call handler will despatch an ambulance from the nearest ambulance company. But it is VITAL if it's a medical emergency to specify that you must have an "Ambulancia EMERGENCIA". That will get you an emergency vehicle with paramedics (not a doctor) on board. If you don't specify the "Ambulance Emergencia" it's quite possible that what may get sent is a normal ambulance....essentially a sort of minibus used for carrying the lame and infirm to/from hospitals and health centres.

So remember: 112, Spanish speaker if possible, and "Ambulancia Emergencia".

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
And just to clarify the situation, if you read back through the posts, as i have just done, It would seem the imposter defib trainer was in fact CORRECT.
He didnt say use it, he didnt advise it, he just said it would happen
These and other sorts of off the wall conversations go on when you have numerous first aid training days in a year with the same chap.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
its a good reminder that i need to book a first aid refresher course. it was mandatory with work and has helped me many times over the years

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
A couple of cautions.....112 is indeed the Emergency Services number in Spain (and all across Europe) but it doesn't connect you to an international call centre in your own language.
The call handlers answering your call will be Spanish.
The national language here in Spain is Spanish. You MAY get a call handler who can also speak some English, or can pass your car to another one on duty who can do so, but there's no guarantee ..so get a Spanish speaker to make the call if possible.
Also, the ambulance service in Spain, like most mainland European countries, is private. There are hundreds of ambulance companies across the country. The call handler will despatch an ambulance from the nearest ambulance company. But it is VITAL if it's a medical emergency to specify that you must have an "Ambulancia EMERGENCIA". That will get you an emergency vehicle with paramedics (not a doctor) on board. If you don't specify the "Ambulance Emergencia" it's quite possible that what may get sent is a normal ambulance....essentially a sort of minibus used for carrying the lame and infirm to/from hospitals and health centres.

So remember: 112, Spanish speaker if possible, and "Ambulancia Emergencia".
Just as well that I knew what to do then, either in English or Spanish....a guy needed to get to a hospital asap...I didn't care if a Horse and Cart turned up...private or public...in the situation I was dealing with I wanted this guy conveying to the nearest Medical Centre, failing this a poor guy could die in front of me.
As @jumartoo posted and the follow on threads, Call 112....get the system running to assist you and the Emergency you are faced with.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back