Know how mobile broadband

Discussion in 'Web Connections' started by Milliemobile, Feb 2, 2015.

1. Milliemobile

Milliemobile Funster

Has anyone used know how mobile broadband. I saw it advertised in PC world and it looks fairly good for taking overseas and in UK, but wondered if it actually works, chap in shop said its not network specific and attaches to the best signal. The attached picture I took in store gives detail, hopefully its readable. Any comments appreciated before we purchase. Lin & Nige :)

Attached Files:

2. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

3. Milliemobile

Milliemobile Funster

It was my understanding you are paying for the data package which can be used oversea with no additional charges. Which is what we need a fixed fee for data we can use abroad. We have Vodafone mobile which is fine for calls as it cheap, but doesn't include any data allowances for use with our laptop.

4. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

@Addie is the person to talk to about SIM cards. Agree with Minx that £29.99 for a SIM card is taking the wee wee.

Also unless you are travelling long term or full time do you need a monthly contract? PAYG might well work out better.

5. Minxy Girl

The three link is pure data - only Three have the "feel at home" benefit for their customers, no-one else has, so the contract that PC World are offering has to be the same as the one that Three are selling. If you have a contract with Three (even a 1 month rolling one but NOT a PAYG one) you can use your data etc abroad for no extra cost*, just as you would if you were in the UK (*in their "feel at home" countries). Make sure you check the terms though as I'm not sure if you have to have the Three monthly rolling contract for a month BEFORE you can use it abroad in subsequent months ... there are other threads on this forum about it somewhere.

6. Minxy Girl

As per my post above, the PAYG one isn't classed as a "feel at home" one as the Pay Monthly 30 day contract is (daft I know!). To use the PAYG one you have to use the credit you load onto it to 'buy' a pack with a set amount of data etc in it ... again lots of postings about this on other threads.

7. wizzer59

wizzer59 Funster

Dunno nothing about it but just cricked me neck if that helps:(

• Like Like x 4
  8. Milliemobile

Milliemobile Funster

Thanks, we only want for use with laptop or tablet, data only no calls, will look at Three, but don't want a phone contract. We currently pay about £25 a month for sky broadband at home, but we are now away more often than home so want something for data which gives a good data allowance and can be used abroad. Intend being abroad 6-9 months in a year in 12 week chunks. So need an option for use at home and in MH. Thanks

9. NickNic

Yes I know but if you are only using it in your van and are not travelling loads it may work out cheaper. An example is the way we use ours. In the UK the data on our phone and iPads is more than adequate. We have a MiFi purely for use abroad (2 or 3 times a year at most) so a monthly contract would work out expensive for us whereas the PAYG one can just be topped up as needed.

In that case ignore the above. A contract one will probably work out better for you. Don't pay 30 quid for a SIM card though (y)

10. Minxy Girl

The Three sim is for data only ... not a phone.

11. Milliemobile

Milliemobile Funster

Had a quick look at Three, it does sound good, but doesn't include Portugal or Croatia (Spain is avail in April) which are countries we need. I'm hoping that with the changes to data and call charges caps within Europe, all the networks will eventually be pan European. But for now need a data option.

12. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

Although the initial upfront cost seems high the monthly plans of £7.99 a month for 1 Gb are pretty competitive I think. If you want to be away for 6 to 9 months a year it looks attractive. The Three feel a friend or whatever it is called has a limit of 3 months a year although there are reports they don't police this too closely and their PAYG version is a bit tricky to top up when outside the UK.

I wonder if this card is a reincarnation of the late lamented Europasim, which had a similar pricing structure?

Thanks for posting this I will investigate more closely!

• Like Like x 1
  13. Milliemobile

Milliemobile Funster

I guess what we want is a replacement for our home sky broadband for use mostly abroad but also when in UK, so we can cancel sky. :) any recommendations? :)

14. NickNic

A mobile SIM card based system isn't intended to do that. It is only the same as 3G (or if you're lucky 4G) on your phone. You won't get anything like landline broadband speeds and if your internet use at home is on the heavy side (youtube, a lot of downloads etc) you will find that the data allowances won't last a day. A rough guide is that a 1 minute youtube video will use 250MB of data and an album from iTunes is somewhere around 50MB. If your home internet use is minimal you might get away with it but not otherwise.

The other thing to be aware of is that the Knowhow one is going to be provided through one of the big 4 networks so the bandwidth will be prioritised with their direct customers first and those who have a card from a reseller at the bottom of the pile. There is a bit about that on here somewhere too if you search but what it basically means is that during high use periods you will be slowed right down to give their direct customers first call on the available bandwidth.

15. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

It depends what you want to do. I'm going down the route of having a cheap sim only deal for my phone as my initial contract has just run out but the phone is working fine. A typical sim only will cost about £10 per month, more if you want lots of data, which I don't as we get the Internet through BT at home.

When away from home I generally access the Internet through a mifi device and that is what I need at the moment. I have previously used the sim out of my phone but am now looking for a different second sim for the mifi. I was leaning towards Three until I read your post about the PC World offering.

16. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

How DID we cope without internet and mobile phones abroad ?.....

Oh, i remember, we used public phones and sent postcards.

something else to rule our lives.

• Like Like x 4
  17. Milliemobile

Milliemobile Funster

Yes our sky does get heavy use when we are home, Nige downloads tv and movies for us to take away. But we are hoping as we become away more than home we can use family and friends broadband to stock up. Another option we are looking into is switching to a cheaper broadband supplier at home, the Yorkshire one seems cheap cant remember the name. We are out of contract with sky now and begrudge paying each month when we are away. Only need for email, blogger, banking, fb and forums when away.

18. mjltigger

mjltigger Funster

The list of countries where you get your full allowance is quite small and in other countries you can only use 10%. I would say there will be better deals out there after December but this might be an ok option until then...

• Like Like x 1
  19. Milliemobile

Milliemobile Funster

It's my mum and dad and Niges mum that are the worst, all in their 70 and insist we provide them with daily blog and facebook updates :D

20. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

If you had to stand in a public phone box to make that post you really don't have to these days. The GPO will actually run a cable to your house and install a telephonic instrument in your hall where it can be conveniently answered by your butler.
    Amazing thing progress.:)

• Like Like x 1