Knocking noise from steering on a Fiat (1 Viewer)

lookback

Free Member
Nov 30, 2007
Mareham le fen, Lincs
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
5 years
Since Grange Park whenever I turned the steering on my Fiat 2.8jtd hardlock left or right I heard a knocking sound. Immediate thoughts were that it was the cvjs but subsequent investigation at a garage showed that they were ok. The garage suspected a faulty power steering pump and the pump was replaced but the problem persists. The garage now recommends that the steering rack could be fault and that could be another £200 to replace.
One school of thought is that all power steering systems struggle at full lock. The hydaulics pump fluid through the system to assist the rack to move easily, then at full lock the valves shut off to stop damage to the seals and this can cause a knock. I do not feel anything with the steering wheel when it happens and the noise seems to originate from the steering rack.
The problem only happens when I reverse the MH out of my drive and I have to have it on a hard right lock. The noise ceases when I drive off and after approx 1 mile if I stop and try to get the steering to make the same noise it does not happen.
The question is do I get a new steering rack or should I continue with the situation at present?

Ian

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Is it just a one off knock or does it repeat itself in time with the wheel rotation:RollEyes:
Geo

OP
OP
lookback

lookback

Free Member
Nov 30, 2007
Mareham le fen, Lincs
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
5 years
It is a "rata, tat, tat continuous as the MH is turning. It seems to be coming from the steering area behind the engine. As I mentioned after a few miles when I try to get the sound by putting the steering on full lock, with engine running,it does not happen only on first moving the MH.

Ian

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

steveheather

Free Member
Aug 13, 2009
Bourne, Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Low Pro
Exp
8 Years
Knocking Noise - Steering

Of course, it's difficult to be totally precise without hearing the actual noise but my 2002 Fiat 2.8JTD has always done what you appear to be describing. It is only really noticeable when the vehicle is still cold and things haven't warmed up.

I have always assumed that it was just the CVJ's knocking as they were stressed on full lock and it has persisted over the vehicles 8 years and 60k miles but not ever got any worse.

I think I know where Geo is coming from on this one as my noise is a rhythmic one in tune with wheel rotation which leads me to the conclusion in my own case.

I hope you will be able to get some reassurance when Geo further replies to your answer to his query.

Steve

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
My first suggestion would be to unclip CV boot at the large end and allow (If turned to liquid) the grease to run out, clean out and re pack CV joints with suitable grease
even if that failed to cure the fault, I still suspect CV joints being over stressed
I realise you need full lock to get out. but just try backing it off, if that stops the noise you have the answer, check that steering stops are adjusted correctly,some are fixed and not adjustable, if so add something to restrict movement
The rack its self will only make one knock if stressed and not repeat as you said it appears to do
Geo

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back