Knaus - are they OK?

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by MichaelT, Nov 14, 2015.

1. MichaelT

MichaelT Funster

As you may have seen on another thread I am thinking of getting a knaus Sky ti and just wondered if anyone has any views on them. From what we can see they look to be solid with some good features but before we jump in would welcome any comments either about the van or dealers.

2. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

3. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

Can have a look on owners club. import or local? Seem popular enough..Don't know much about them. they went bust and seem to be doing well since the rescue

http://www.knausowners.com/

have a look at my 2016 van thread there is a review there. I can dig deeper if you let us know what you are after...

Last edited: Nov 14, 2015
  4. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

Next door neighbour has one. Very nice van, but watch the real life payload......

5. MichaelT

MichaelT Funster

OK thanks, are you saying the actual weight of the vehicle is higher than the brochure says? If so how much was the neighbour out?

6. DuxDeluxe

Well, it is a 7.3 metre van with a long overhang and a big garage, all on 3.5 tonnes. Any van like that needs to be checked and put over a weigh bridge. Lots of vans have real life payloads less than one thinks - mine, for instance. Had to uprate it to have a practical useable payload

7. MichaelT

MichaelT Funster

According to the brochure its 580kg payload so allowing say 130 for the extras it has still leaves 450 so hopefully that would be enough. Trying to keep to the magic 3500 if we can as I see benefit in that food motorway speed etc.

8. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

Experience suggests you can't trust brochures. The published payload might be with only say half tanks of fuel and water and two ballet dancers as crew. :) If there is an owners' club it might be worth asking for real life experiences.

• Like Like x 3
  9. DuxDeluxe

That 580 might be with only 20 litres of water on board and is also +/- 5% to allow for manufacturing "error" - guess which side it lies......... I'm not saying it will be wrong, but that it frequently has been. As long as you are completely aware of the possibilities then no issues at all. Really nicely built vans.(y)

• Like Like x 1
  10. Judge Mental

What model:censored:

No way a 7 meter van or above can work @ 3500. you will be surprised how few do! If its long and dont have a MIRO of around 2800 it don't have a chance....No matter what the brochure or dealer says.

11. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

Looking at the Knaus website it does confirm the Mass in Running Order is with only 20 litres of water, 90% full fuel tank and only one person weighing 75 Kg on board. So at a rough guess you need to take about 200 kg off the claimed payload as at the start of any trip most folk will fill the fuel and water tanks and take their partner. :)

Buy Knaus 'vans do seem to be popular, you see a lot of them around in Europe but like a lot of continental vehicles they seem to have tiny kitchens with minimal work surface for preparation. This might not be a factor for you but worth being aware of this. On the other side continental motorhomes generally have much better insulation etc and are suitable for winter use when it is below freezing for long periods.

12. DuxDeluxe

Have a look, Eddie [​IMG]

13. Judge Mental

sorry Dux that not working..cant see it

there are 5 models in range...smallest has a MIRO of 2990 (+ - 5%?)

allowing 200 kg for extras and presumably partner. leaving a payload of 300'ish..Tight but a non starter IMO

http://www.knaus.de/en/motorhomes/sun-ti/overview.html

14. DuxDeluxe

Sorry - I edited it to include the PDF, but it didn't seem to work

http://www.southdownsmotorcaravans....-knaus-motorhome-technical-specifications.pdf

Look at the 700 with the twin beds.....

• Like Like x 1
  15. MichaelT

MichaelT Funster

16. MichaelT

MichaelT Funster

Out of all the vas
    Out of all the vans we have sent this one seems to have the most kitchen workspace and more than our current caravan because of the cooker being set back and the shelf where the headrests are.
    Worse one we saw was a burstner with the hoib at 45 degrees so cutting the corner off a worktop.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Kensmith314

Kensmith314 Read Only Funster

I have a Knaus Sky Ti. It is the 6.99 m MF version. Bought it in June and have covered about 3500 miles since then.
    Nothing has ever gone wrong with it and it seems well laid out, cosy and solidly built.
    I recently weighed it with myself, wife, 2 heavy folding bikes, 1 16 kg kettlebell, awning, solar panel, table and 2 chairs, 50 litres of water, full fuel tank and one or two other things I have probably forgotten and the total weight was 3360 kg.

• Like Like x 3
  18. Spanishsteve

Spanishsteve Funster

I went to the NEC last year to look at German made vans. The Knaus looked nice but we had to discount them because my wife who suffers from rheumatoid arthritis could not physically open the cupboards.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Marvic

Marvic Funster

My daugher has one .they love it. Had a few problems with in the first year. Bent doors.radio electrics. and oven innerglass exploding. Still trying to get dealers to put oven right. my son in law .left keys inside. l used a bent coat hanger. To get in though a window. just shows how easy .get in a moterhome. looking at ways to stop this. but on other forums shown. if determined they would find a way. has said my daugher and son in law would not swop.:cool:

• Like Like x 1
  20. denisejoe

denisejoe Funster

a recommended max travelling limit of 10 lts of water.

joe