Kmh Only Displayed On Panel- Is This Ok?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Bridget, Jul 13, 2015.

1. Bridget

Bridget Funster

Hi, I'm having to change my moho and have been looking at a 2009 lhd chausson from a dealer. The display panel and odometer dial/reading is in kilometres only which I thought needed to be changed when the van was registered in the uk but the dealer says this is not the case. I asked how you know what speed you are doing over here and he informs me that most people put scratch marks for mph!!!! I also asked about changing the fascia and was told it would be about £500 & so it wasn't worth doing.
    Grateful for any help with this

2. DanielFord

DanielFord Funster

It certainly used to be a requirement, however I have a friend of mind recently registered their French car in England, obviously that only displays kmh. It passed its mot. So I guess the answer is no.

Simple rule, 80kph is 50mph exactly, 100 is 60ish 120 is 70ish. Or put a sat navy in the window?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Bridget

Bridget Funster

Thank you for your prompt reply- good to know no longer a requirement.

Hadn't thought of using the sat nav (sits in it's lovely padded case most of the time :giggle:) but that's a really good idea which I would definitely do thank you.

Guess the mot would give odometer reading in km or does it not make any distinction do you know?

4. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

Ours is in Km/Km/h only with 30 and 50 mph over the dial with stick on numbers, no problem with MOT.

Martin

5. Bridget

Bridget Funster

Thank you Martin, probably a good idea for me to put stickers on too! I wonder if anyone has made plastic removable overlays so that can have mph over here and then take them off when on the continent?

6. Tea Bag

Tea Bag Funster

Hi.
    I am a Sinner,of the ",ish" Gang. That does NOT mean that DanielFord is a "Sinner?".......... LOL. Another old Navajo Indian trick i learnt at Gran pappy,s knee was..... Run at the same speed as everybody else...... only....in the middle.
    Tea Bag

• Like Like x 2
  7. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Mine is in miles but the mot is in km's.

Americans wouldnt know a kilometer if it jumped up and slapped them but the mot tester just assumed as its lhd it must be km's

8. Badknee

Badknee Funster

My Eunos (MX5) has a new stick on speedo face in mph/ kmh.

9. DanielFord

DanielFord Funster

@Tea Bag I am certainly in the sinner "ish" crowd when in Europe, the kmh figures on my speedo are way too small, and the wrong colour for me to read with my sunglasses on, so I use the speed limit info from my Sat Nav (TomTom) which gives me the approximate speed limit in mph. This is another tip for you @Bridget you may find it useful to put your speedo units to KPH, you will then get the speed limit delivered to you as a KPH figure, if your sat nav gives you speed limit info?
    If we convert between the two, in a 60mph limit, the Sat Nav will probably say that the speed limit is 100 KPH, 60 is actually 102 KPH, so you will be ever so slightly below the limit. And in fact since it would appear most of the muppets on the road think that the national speed limit on a single in a car is 50mph, you'll be going 8ish mph faster than everyone else :D

• Like Like x 2
  10. Bridget

Bridget Funster

Now I will have to unzip that lovely case and see if I can input speedo units to kph (it does have speed limit info )cos that is a really good idea thank you! I would like to be doing 8mph more but unfortunately would be stuck with the numpties as van over 3500kg !:(

11. DanielFord

DanielFord Funster

In which case you are fine :D

12. Allanm

Allanm Funster

I always use my sat nav for speed, it's far more accurate than my speedo and my speedo dial had kph in red and can't easily be seen when driving in foreign parts.
    But, 62 mph is 100kph, not the other way round

• Like Like x 1
  13. DanielFord

DanielFord Funster

I knew that LOL!

Edit to add
    You have the same problem as me, I have trouble reading anything in red, sunglasses or not!

• Like Like x 1
  14. Ethle the wondervan

Ethle the wondervan

Overlays are available for some speedos. I put stick on numbers on mine but can't see them at night. Good excuse for driving back to the site from the bar as fast as possible just to be safe!

• Like Like x 2
  15. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

When we bought our Hymer, it had stickers marking 30, 50 and 70 mph on a standard German kph dial. Having read up on the matter, I realised that it was not fully legal. It is a requirement that the speedo indicates mph and this can be achieved by the use of stickers at the critical points. The catch is that these must be illuminated at night and unless you contrive some additional lighting, this is unlikely to be the case with stickers on the plastic speedo 'glass'. Strangely, it is not an MOT failure issue***, but it is a legal requirement and might go against you in the event of an accident, or 'meaning of life' discussion with 'Plod'.
    I opted to change the fascia which I got from Lockwoods http://www.lockwoodinternational.co.uk/dials-for-imported-vehicles-c53.html . It looks identical to the Mercedes standard UK mph unit although the odometer remains in km of course (this is legal - it is only the speed that must be in mph).

*** thanks to Barclaybasher for pointing out (see below) it IS now an MOT failure issue!

Last edited: Jul 14, 2015
  16. JockandRita

JockandRita Funster Life Member

17. Barclaybasher

Barclaybasher Funster

From January 2012:

Speedometer
    The car will fail if a speedometer is not fitted, is incomplete, inoperative, has a dial glass broken/missing or cannot be illuminated.

I looked this up this year when my speedo cable (old van) broke just before its MOT

It still passed................ the MH is not driven as part of the MOT so the tester didn't know

It was fixed shortly afterwards, might have looked strange if the mileometer read exactly the same next time...........

(y)

• Like Like x 1
  18. simsy56

simsy56 Funster

If you multiply all bar the last Kilometer number by 6, it will give you the approximate MPH,

e.g. 50 kph 6 x 5 = 30. 80 kph 6 x 8 = 48 100 kph 6 x 10 = 60 120 kph 6 x 12 = 72 and so on.

Craig

• Like Like x 4
  19. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

@JockandRita

Hi Jock, my speedo was changed by Becks in Yarmouth..

maybe worth a call and ask where they source them ?

Last edited: Jul 14, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Bridget

Bridget Funster

Now I remember what it was that made me think this was an issue- thank you.