Planetgen

Free Member
Apr 29, 2009
Taunton
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
If it is sneezing, it sounds like the timing is out. Its sending the combustion back through the carb.
It can happen over time.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
If it is sneezing, it sounds like the timing is out. Its sending the combustion back through the carb.
It can happen over time.

possible but very unlikely.
how can the timing alter if it hasnt been run?
im assuming it started and ran ok last time it was used but it has now been stood idle for a few months.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Slightly off-topic.

Our jetski always needs a dose of carb-cleaner up the air-intake to get it going.........does this mean it's hooked on the substance!!:Angry:

BW

PS Yes - I know jetskis are about as popular as gennies too:Smile:
All engines are made from some kind of metal, they are not made from flesh and blood so therfore do not become adicted to anything.
There has always been a misconception that motors become adicted to easystart etc, the reason that you have to use dope to start an engine is becouse somthing else is wrong with it.
Usualy diesels that need easystart are worn out,no compression or the glow plugs are burnt out.
Petrol engines that need it are usualy worn out, damp, or stale petrol.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Planetgen

Free Member
Apr 29, 2009
Taunton
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
possible but very unlikely.
how can the timing alter if it hasnt been run?
im assuming it started and ran ok last time it was used but it has now been stood idle for a few months.

going of memory as I have not personally looked at a Kipper for some time. They timing is chain driven, it is possible over time for the chain to stretch. It can happen quite a lot. This is just an idea, but again its not a problem for the OP to drop it in to us for a peek.

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
All engines are made from some kind of metal, they are not made from flesh and blood so therfore do not become adicted to anything.
There has always been a misconception that motors become adicted to easystart etc, the reason that you have to use dope to start an engine is becouse somthing else is wrong with it.
Usualy diesels that need easystart are worn out,no compression or the glow plugs are burnt out.
Petrol engines that need it are usualy worn out, damp, or stale petrol.

Mmmmm!, you don't remember Mk 1 transits then.:Sad:

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
Have a good look around,,

You may find a dealer that will give you a bit of part X against a "Honda"

And, if you're really on a roll, he might give you a deal on your American $#ite against a

Merc based van.:ROFLMAO:

Sorry, that's taking a bit too far.:Cool:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Mmmmm!, you don't remember Mk 1 transits then.:Sad:
Yes,not only do I remember them, I owned a few.
As I said earlier, The problem with the mk1 Transit was the York engine only had a single heater plug in the manifold and the early ones only had 1 battery.
If you fitted a second battery it gave the heater plug chance to do its job before the battery went flat.

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
We also own a yellow Kipor. The only reason it's failed to start is lack of fuel, this was caused by sticky needle in the float chamber. I have found that if it doesn't fire straight away I just blow in the fuel filler to pressurise the tank, this releases the float needle and hey presto away she goes.

By the way, take the plug out and see if it is wet, obviously if it is, the above would not be the fault.

Also I have checked the spark on mine and it's very weak (even though it runs OK), so it might be difficult to determine whether the spark is the fault.

Good luck.

Nigel and Pamala

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Hi All,

Too busy at this moment to read ALL the replies so I apologise if this is a repeat of an earlier post.

If my Kipor doesn't start straight away and HASN'T just been refuelled I check the plug. If it is damp, experience has taught me to throw it away and put in a new one. I never bother to clean it off as this has never worked on my machine. With the new plug, off the yellow beauty goes.

If after refuelling it starts but fuel starts coming out of the overflow pipe and the machine stops, I suspect my float needle is stuck... (sorry purists here) but I "bang" the genny on the ground quite firmly and, up to now, this has sorted the problem every time.

Once I had the problem of the fuel pouring out of the oil fill hole. This I took as a sign to change the oil which I did. No more trouble!? This was over a year ago and I have had no trouble with my crank-shaft or main bearings.

I know all the Honda fans will be gloating over this post (;-)) but I would like to point out that the above attention is rarely needed and in the main, the abused, badly looked after, yellow slave has plodded away (on economy setting) for hour after hour after hour for years and years and years. (If I remember right it cost me around £320)

JJ

PS. I try hard to refuel before it actually runs dry... and never over fill it.

PPS I have a downloadable PDF workshop manual for Kipor 1000...

Last edited:
OP
OP
mark e

mark e

Free Member
Sep 29, 2007
Rhondda Valleys, S Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Year 3 of ownership !
Been at it for about half an hour, took spark plug out, quick clean ( was black, with like soot over it ) bit of fresh petrol down the port, screw the spark plug back in, couple of pulls and TA DA ::bigsmile: IT STARTED.

Left on tickover and full throttle for about 30 mins, stop and restart about a dozen times.

I know the £300 bargain, ( cough cough ) compared to the Honda would'nt let me down.

Would just like to thank Simon @Planetgen for his advise and generosity over the phone.

So till the next time........thanks to the generator posse who replied to my thread.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Been at it for about half an hour, took spark plug out, quick clean ( was black, with like soot over it ) bit of fresh petrol down the port, screw the spark plug back in, couple of pulls and TA DA ::bigsmile: IT STARTED.

thats running far too rich.
have a look at the air filter.....probably needs a good clean and (i think on these engines but no 100% sure) re-oiling.

i need to check but if it does need oiling then, after cleaning, soak the foam in clean engine oil then squeeze out as much excess oil as possible.

Last edited:

R Rebbeck

Free Member
Jan 14, 2010
Funster No
kipor generator

Hi Mark, i own several kipor generators and sometimes they are hard to start, my suggestions.
1. you will need to service the generator, this is very easy, you should have had an oil pot with the kit when you purchased the kipor, you will need this later, if not an empty squeezy bottle or similar will be ok,(cleaned of course).
Go into the side compartment and undo the oil dip stick, lean the generator to the side to draian the oil into a bowl or empty container, once empty refill with the oil pot supplied, it will take about half a litre, any car oil will do to refil, i use a cheap Asda Or Tesco oil.
2. Take the spanner, (should have been supplied with the kit), take out the spark plug, replace with the new spark plug, you will get this from a car accsesories shop, you might have to order one, but take your old one for comparrison, if you can't find the right one, e-mail me and i will get you the code for it.
3. Once you have changed the plug and connected it back up you then need to look at the air filter, this is just above the oil dipstick and should have a metal cover, take off the cover but be careful as you will need to remember the way the filter comes out, once you have the filter out which should be a grey piece of foam, wash this in warm to hot soapy water, rinse out all the soap after cleaning, shake until almost dry, leave to dry, once dried replace back and close the cover.

Now the good bit, make sure you have petrol in it, now start, it should start after a few good pulls.

any problems e-mail me.
Rob.:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back