Kipor inside.

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by Snowbird, Feb 9, 2013.

1. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

Have just bought a Kipor and was thinking of fixing it in the MH garage as a permanent fixture with an extension on the silencer going to the outside. This is mainly for security reasons but with a little ingenuity I think it will also quieten it down a little. Have any funsters tried doing this before, and can you see any problems with this.

• Like Like x 1
  2. stcyr

stcyr Funster

We used our generator in the boot of the 608, no probs :thumb:

3. canopus

canopus Funster Life Member

Hope you're not planning to be ensconced in the van when the Kippor is running Dave? You'll need new dentures. Best bet is a long extension cable approx 100mts:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

• Like Like x 1
  4. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

as long as its fixed down (they do 'walk' slightly on hard surfaces) and the exhaust extension isnt to long then it should work.
    a long or restrictive extension may alter the exhaust back pressure so go for a slightly larger diameter tube.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Phill D

Phill D

youll need to mount it securely on anti vibration pads... and not sure what level of noise youll get inside the van.

6. Snowbird

7. JJ

JJ Funster

I have run my little Kipor in the rear side cupboard with the door open no problem. I am planning to make a new door with a grill in it.

JJ:Cool:

8. Silkcut1105

Silkcut1105 Funster Life Member

9. Silkcut1105

Silkcut1105 Funster Life Member

Kipor inside

if you find the tico pads to expensive,im going to chester rally if you remind me before the rally i will fetch some for you f.o c enough to make 4 pads:thumb:

10. Snowbird

I had thought of converting the gas locker to put it in and put vented grills on the door. I have an LPG tank so the gas locker could be utilised. Then I thought that the garage would be a better place as it opens on both sides, I could fix the genny to the floor on the side I seldom use and run the silencer through the floor. To save wiring it in permanently I would fix an external blue socket to the underside skirt with the other end plugged into the genny. Then just run a short lead to my electric hookup plug. Maybe just a wooden tray with rubber in the bottom would stop it walking around the garage.

11. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

Be very carefull doing that, dont take much carbon monoxide to kill!!

Peter

12. aba

aba

i have been thinking of doing something similar but the heat and noise generated are my main concerns.
    granted the gas locker would probably be better suited but it would probably be better if you had an electric start model then you could build a proper silenced cabinet for it.

if you had a spare side locker that could have the floor taken out and a open frame to hold the generator that would be better still then probably use some fireproof kingspan insulation to line the locker to make it quieter.

the exhaust system you link to looks like one for the webasto / eberspacher diesel heaters though should work with a generator.

mind if heat is going to be a problem fitting a mains extractor fan would solve that issue and it would only run when the generator was running.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2013
  13. Snowbird

Am not sure about gas lockers on modern motorhomes, but the gas locker on my van is completely sealed from the habitation area with drop holes to the outside. I don't really want to lose the 2 gas bottles I have in there as they are useful when LPG is not available.
    Am thinking more along the lines of a soundproof box in the garage with perhaps 12 volt computer fans wired to the 12 volt plug on the genny. We have loads of old computer fans about. Have had electric start Onan generators on RVs and know what a racket they make both inside and outside the van.

14. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member