Free Member
Nov 22, 2011
poole
Funster No
MH
'86 Classical Designs
Exp
relative newbie
I'm looking for a suitcase generator and in particular a Kipor IG1000 but am a tad nervous as I was the victim of the sale of a fake Honda generator a few years ago. So I'm wondering are there fake Kipors being sold?
Is there anything in particular to check when looking at them?

Here's one I'm looking at ......

kipor1.jpg

kipor2.jpg

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
The price of a Honda make it a possibility for that brand, but the much lower price of the Kippor make its very unlikley they are faked

Dave

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Your right that is cheap knock-off copy, looks like its a genuine Kipor though::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
T

treeman

Free Member
Nov 22, 2011
poole
Funster No
MH
'86 Classical Designs
Exp
relative newbie
Your right that is cheap knock-off copy, looks like its a genuine Kipor though::bigsmile:

I'm assuming that is a cynical comment rather than a slating? (excuse my lack of knowledge, I am so nervous about being done again)

I have looked at the latest Kipor and it has a round blue socket cover where as this one has a square black cover - is that just a version thing?

Last edited:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
I'm assuming that is a cynical comment rather than a truth? (excuse my lack of knowledge, I am so nervous about being done again)

I have looked at the latest Kipor and it has a round blue socket cover where as this one has a square black cover - is that just a version thing?

I have a 2kw Kippor.....on that one it has TWO BLUE 16amp european sockets...you can get them with a 13amp socket...that would be the black cover
I also have a Honda 10i 1kw.....both Generators are very good....
..my Honda has a black cover and under it is 1.. 13amp UK socket

If you can get the 16amp blue european socket you can use your motorhome EHUP extension lead you have.

Last edited:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Hi yes you will have to excuse Jims sense of humor, you see he's just paid out hundreds on a Honda, and now finds the Kipors are hundreds cheaper and almost identical to the Hondas
You will be safe with a Kipor as jim hints at they are so cheap there not worth faking Great generators none the less Ive used one for over 4 years no problems:thumb:
blue sockets are for 16 amp caravan hook up plugs black sockets are for 13 amp domestic plugs, you will have to make up a lead to suit your particular use, normally a short 18" lead with a 13 amp plug one end and a 16 amp female socket the other, they are available to buy if you dont fancy making one up
Geo

Last edited:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Not 'just' paid out Geo, my Hondas 11 now and has easily paid for itself. But your right, Kipors copied a good one when they copied the Honda.

Kipors are great value and will go for years, all they need is use, what they hate is inactivity. Full timers who use them a lot, swear by them, casual users who use them twice a year swear at them. As left in the garage unused for 10 months a year seems to do for them and their circuit board.

Looked after, run up and put under a bit of load once a month they will last as long as the Honda they copied.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Welllllllllllllll Speak as I find me :Smile:

Had a few Kipors ( each sold on for some odd reason or other.. drunk as a skunk once. Sold an almost new 2.3 for £200 to a mate. Sold a 1 kVA cos it was too small ) and now have a 2.6 kVA which is heavy but by the cringe, dont half work well !!

I have had one with blue sockets, one with some weird push and twist to lock sockets, and one with normal 13a sockets.

I have a feeling Kipor make batches up of whatever is handy/selling at the time of manufacture run, as there seems to be no rhyme or reason as to what is fitted to what ..

As for a fake.. as others already said, where the Honda is about a million quid to get even a basic model the Kipor is at the 'free with Kellogs' end of the market .. ( Quite frankly, considering how good they are it does amaze me they can do them at the price they do )

When buying a Rolex you have to be VERY careful it is not a fake.. When buying a Timex, you can be pretty sure it is a genuine Timex :winky:

OP
OP
T

treeman

Free Member
Nov 22, 2011
poole
Funster No
MH
'86 Classical Designs
Exp
relative newbie
Many thanks for the comments - the watch comparison is a good analogy, understandable.

I'll hopefully look to buy one this weekend.

OP
OP
T

treeman

Free Member
Nov 22, 2011
poole
Funster No
MH
'86 Classical Designs
Exp
relative newbie
Any advice on the going price range for a used IG1000?
This one says hardly used and from a fellow motorhomer.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Any advice on the going price range for a used IG1000?
This one says hardly used and from a fellow motorhomer.

They can be bought for £260 new if that helps you, decide.
My opinion would be ££150 to £200 depending on age, useage condition
The asking price for that particular one seems fairish, make an offer and see:Smile:
Geo

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
make sure you see it working with a load on it and not just running as the inverter boards do sometimes stop working but the engine keeps running.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
This one says hardly used.

Can be worse than regularly used. The carbs have such tiny jets they can clog up with dried petrol. An engineer who helped me said it was A_Nice_Little_Earner every spring, cleaning carbs on gennies. Easy enough to do once you know how to do it.

OP
OP
T

treeman

Free Member
Nov 22, 2011
poole
Funster No
MH
'86 Classical Designs
Exp
relative newbie
They can be bought for £260 new if that helps you, decide.
:Smile:
Geo

That makes a difference - at that price (£260) I'd prefer new - especially as the comments regarding less use can be a possible issue!

Where can I get one at that sort of money?

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
That makes a difference - at that price (£260) I'd prefer new - especially as the comments regarding less use can be a possible issue!

Where can I get one at that sort of money?
I'll get you started

Ebay has the 1000 for £ 349 delivered

OP
OP
T

treeman

Free Member
Nov 22, 2011
poole
Funster No
MH
'86 Classical Designs
Exp
relative newbie
Google'd, eBay'd and asked around but can't find anything close to 260, everywhere seems to be 349 - as if there is some sellers agreement at £349. Lots of sellers offering freebies with them (locks, oil, etc) as if they are not allowed to sell under the 349 mark.

I'll keep searching but as times are hard a used model at under 200 seems fair value against 350 new (if the used one checks out ok that is).

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
my Kipor has both a blue 16a socket and a black 13a socket....

started life with 2 x black ones 'til me and roadrunner struck a deal and i swapped one of his 16a in exchange for one of my 13a sockets....which would have made John's easier to spot when it got stolen as they are only sold with one or the other..

I reckon the different sockets depend on the end user dealer....blue for the leisure market and black for the home use market.

the one in the O/P looks genuine but even if it was a copy it would look genuine anyway.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
main downfall with Kipor's is the inverter card.....once that fails you can only replace it as they are encased in resin and nothing is removable/repairable.

inverter cards for the 1kva and 2.6kva are priced at around £299.

OP
OP
T

treeman

Free Member
Nov 22, 2011
poole
Funster No
MH
'86 Classical Designs
Exp
relative newbie
main downfall with Kipor's is the inverter card.....once that fails you can only replace it as they are encased in resin and nothing is removable/repairable.

inverter cards for the 1kva and 2.6kva are priced at around £299.

Thanks for the info - I better check it's producing power as well as just running the engine.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks for the info - I better check it's producing power as well as just running the engine.
dont rely on the output led...it will still light even if the card is faulty.

plug something in to load it....an angle grinder was my tool of choice as it pulls a heavy load on starting.

mine 'failed' a couple of years ago and despite several 'stripdowns' and electrical test sessions it would not produce power.

the alternator part would kick out over 300vac (normal) so decided it was the inverter section.

put it back together and gave it one last chance before listing on eBay for spares.
plugged the angle grinder in and it kicked into life.

then plugged in a 2000watt electric fire (gennies rated at 2200watts max) and left running for a couple of hours.

no problem since and no idea what happened but possible bad/damaged wiring between the alternator and inverter card and rebuilding last time made a connection.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
another point with Kipor's....

the ignition switch is also a fuel tap.

if you dont turn off the switch fuel can, and does, run into the sump.

i ran out of fuel and refilled without turn off the switch then put it back in the locker.

a couple of days later the sump was full of fuel.

drain down and refill with oil then started with a lot of smoke for a while.

DesRes

Free Member
Apr 21, 2012
West Lancs
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 1990 ish...
Facinating thread, it would appear that I have completely neglected my Kipor...:Blush:
Bought ours several years ago now, used it for a couple of shows then carried it around in the last van for years, unused. Since selling that van it's been lain in the garage until I just tried it. Still fuel in it and it started after just a couple of pulls!!!:thumb:
Put it the joblist for a clean up & service...

OP
OP
T

treeman

Free Member
Nov 22, 2011
poole
Funster No
MH
'86 Classical Designs
Exp
relative newbie
As an update.....

I bought the pictured Kipor of eBay for £200, the seller showed me it running from cold and I connected my 750w angle grinder to it and ran fine.

On getting it home, when I tried it myself I found the engine would not tick-over properly, the revs chasing and dropping, although it ran and produced power ok. I tried running it on half-choke and it ran ok which I guess is what the seller did to mask the issue.

Long story short, contacted Kipor UK mechanic (REB small plant) talked me through cleaning jets, turned out idle jet was clogged with old fuel , cleaned spark plug and now runs sweet as a nut.

Lesson - Lot of effort, don't trust anyone on eBay, find a man who knows about the subject in question.

chesterfield hooligan

LIFE MEMBER
May 12, 2009
Hucknall, Nottingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
10 years
As an update.....

I bought the pictured Kipor of eBay for £200, the seller showed me it running from cold and I connected my 750w angle grinder to it and ran fine.

On getting it home, when I tried it myself I found the engine would not tick-over properly, the revs chasing and dropping, although it ran and produced power ok. I tried running it on half-choke and it ran ok which I guess is what the seller did to mask the issue.

Long story short, contacted Kipor UK mechanic (REB small plant) talked me through cleaning jets, turned out idle jet was clogged with old fuel , cleaned spark plug and now runs sweet as a nut.

Lesson - Lot of effort, [HI]don't trust anyone on eBay[/HI], find a man who knows about the subject in question.

:ROFLMAO: I sell stuff on EBAY how can you say dont trust me you dont know me :ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
T

treeman

Free Member
Nov 22, 2011
poole
Funster No
MH
'86 Classical Designs
Exp
relative newbie
:ROFLMAO: I sell stuff on EBAY how can you say dont trust me you dont know me :ROFLMAO:

Sorry - didn't mean it that way. I actually sell stuff on eBay myself so a stupid thing to say really.

What I meant to say is "be careful with some eBay sellers, there are some out there possibly less scrupulous than you'd wish".

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
Do i need one?

I can`t decide if i need to buy a generator or not.
Most palces i visit usually have EHU, the odd place i have been with no power ,i only stay for a day or so and the batteries seem fine.
Do genny owners on here use them very much at all?

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I can`t decide if i need to buy a generator or not.
Most palces i visit usually have EHU, the odd place i have been with no power ,i only stay for a day or so and the batteries seem fine.
Do genny owners on here use them very much at all?

Seems to me you do not need a genny...

I am very often off EHU for weeks on end (like now) and even though I have a couple of solar panels (on the Hymer they are old and small) I need the genny often when the sun doesn't shine or my cheap leisure batteries (2) pack up on me like they have now...

JJ :Cool:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back