Kipor - generator fakes

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by treeman, Oct 18, 2012.

1. treeman

treeman Read Only Funster

I'm looking for a suitcase generator and in particular a Kipor IG1000 but am a tad nervous as I was the victim of the sale of a fake Honda generator a few years ago. So I'm wondering are there fake Kipors being sold?
    Is there anything in particular to check when looking at them?

Here's one I'm looking at ......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. TheDogMan

TheDogMan Funster

The price of a Honda make it a possibility for that brand, but the much lower price of the Kippor make its very unlikley they are faked

Dave

3. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Your right that is cheap knock-off copy, looks like its a genuine Kipor though:BigGrin:

• Like Like x 6
  4. treeman

I'm assuming that is a cynical comment rather than a slating? (excuse my lack of knowledge, I am so nervous about being done again)

I have looked at the latest Kipor and it has a round blue socket cover where as this one has a square black cover - is that just a version thing?

Last edited: Oct 18, 2012
  5. Heyupluv

Heyupluv Read Only Funster

I have a 2kw Kippor.....on that one it has TWO BLUE 16amp european sockets...you can get them with a 13amp socket...that would be the black cover
    I also have a Honda 10i 1kw.....both Generators are very good....
    ..my Honda has a black cover and under it is 1.. 13amp UK socket

If you can get the 16amp blue european socket you can use your motorhome EHUP extension lead you have.

6. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

Hi yes you will have to excuse Jims sense of humor, you see he's just paid out hundreds on a Honda, and now finds the Kipors are hundreds cheaper and almost identical to the Hondas
    You will be safe with a Kipor as jim hints at they are so cheap there not worth faking Great generators none the less Ive used one for over 4 years no problems:thumb:
    blue sockets are for 16 amp caravan hook up plugs black sockets are for 13 amp domestic plugs, you will have to make up a lead to suit your particular use, normally a short 18" lead with a 13 amp plug one end and a 16 amp female socket the other, they are available to buy if you dont fancy making one up
    Geo

• Like Like x 2
  7. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Not 'just' paid out Geo, my Hondas 11 now and has easily paid for itself. But your right, Kipors copied a good one when they copied the Honda.

Kipors are great value and will go for years, all they need is use, what they hate is inactivity. Full timers who use them a lot, swear by them, casual users who use them twice a year swear at them. As left in the garage unused for 10 months a year seems to do for them and their circuit board.

Looked after, run up and put under a bit of load once a month they will last as long as the Honda they copied.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Welllllllllllllll Speak as I find me :Smile:

Had a few Kipors ( each sold on for some odd reason or other.. drunk as a skunk once. Sold an almost new 2.3 for £200 to a mate. Sold a 1 kVA cos it was too small ) and now have a 2.6 kVA which is heavy but by the cringe, dont half work well !!

I have had one with blue sockets, one with some weird push and twist to lock sockets, and one with normal 13a sockets.

I have a feeling Kipor make batches up of whatever is handy/selling at the time of manufacture run, as there seems to be no rhyme or reason as to what is fitted to what ..

As for a fake.. as others already said, where the Honda is about a million quid to get even a basic model the Kipor is at the 'free with Kellogs' end of the market .. ( Quite frankly, considering how good they are it does amaze me they can do them at the price they do )

When buying a Rolex you have to be VERY careful it is not a fake.. When buying a Timex, you can be pretty sure it is a genuine Timex :Wink:

• Like Like x 6
  9. treeman

Many thanks for the comments - the watch comparison is a good analogy, understandable.

I'll hopefully look to buy one this weekend.

10. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

So you are saying that you don't want to be stitched up like a Kipor.

• Like Like x 9
  11. hilldweller

I didn't believe in reincarnation, until now, welcome back Confucius.

• Like Like x 1
  12. treeman

Any advice on the going price range for a used IG1000?
    This one says hardly used and from a fellow motorhomer.

13. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

14. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

They can be bought for £260 new if that helps you, decide.
    My opinion would be ££150 to £200 depending on age, useage condition
    The asking price for that particular one seems fairish, make an offer and see:Smile:
    Geo

• Like Like x 1
  15. aba

aba

make sure you see it working with a load on it and not just running as the inverter boards do sometimes stop working but the engine keeps running.

16. hilldweller

Can be worse than regularly used. The carbs have such tiny jets they can clog up with dried petrol. An engineer who helped me said it was A_Nice_Little_Earner every spring, cleaning carbs on gennies. Easy enough to do once you know how to do it.

• Like Like x 1
  17. treeman

That makes a difference - at that price (£260) I'd prefer new - especially as the comments regarding less use can be a possible issue!

Where can I get one at that sort of money?

18. tofo

tofo Funster

19. treeman

Google'd, eBay'd and asked around but can't find anything close to 260, everywhere seems to be 349 - as if there is some sellers agreement at £349. Lots of sellers offering freebies with them (locks, oil, etc) as if they are not allowed to sell under the 349 mark.

I'll keep searching but as times are hard a used model at under 200 seems fair value against 350 new (if the used one checks out ok that is).

20. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

my Kipor has both a blue 16a socket and a black 13a socket....

started life with 2 x black ones 'til me and roadrunner struck a deal and i swapped one of his 16a in exchange for one of my 13a sockets....which would have made John's easier to spot when it got stolen as they are only sold with one or the other..

I reckon the different sockets depend on the end user dealer....blue for the leisure market and black for the home use market.

the one in the O/P looks genuine but even if it was a copy it would look genuine anyway.