Kipor 1 KW - How noisy really? (1 Viewer)

Jph123

Free Member
Nov 2, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
Ducato hymer
Exp
Not enough!
I'm considering buying a Kipor 1 kw generator as back up for heating, batteries etc as I'm spending a couple of months in the Alps at altitude.

The question is (and I know much discussion has already ensued on this subject): How noisy are they in the real world? Decibels etc don't make much sense without comparable equivalents. So are they really annoyingly noisy, alright in daytime but too loud at night, totally fine for wild camping but not on site?

Just some real life views please.

Before it's mentioned I've already had solar panels fitted but these act as more of a trickle charger than providing any meaningful supply of electric.

Thanks

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Not bad, for what they cost they are OK, but if you have trouble most end up scraped.

We had one for 18 months, then the sump kept filling with petrol, so got rid of it.:Smile:

We then had a eu20i honda, got it second hand, and sold it for what we paid, never any problem but a bit over kill, for what we used it for, :whatthe: and heavy compared to the eu10i .:ROFLMAO:

So we got a new eu10i, and having had 2 Honda lawnmowers knowing how good they are.
:winky: ::bigsmile:
We believe you get what you pay for, and if you want to sell, there is always someone who wants it. :thumb: Bob.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Sat there idling the Kipoor would drown out the Honda. But under load, both are noisy as hell::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
I wouldn't worry about genny noise in the Alps in winter, everyones using them!

On a slightly different tack though, for battery charging your genny will only be as good as your existing on-board charger. Having only a 16 amp charger will mean you will run your genny for ages to charge your batteries.
An upgraded on board charger will charge your battries faster and give you more time on the slopes rather than watching your generator run!:thumb:

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
If you start the "Kipper" and put it in your motorhome and close the door and sit outside... there very quiet... :winky::ROFLMAO:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Sat there idling the Kipoor would drown out the Honda. But under load, both are noisy as hell::bigsmile:

If you are not going to use it much, buy the Honda. The Kippor needs to be used regularly.

I had an old Honda in the garage that had not been used for 14 years. Chris and Nigel (Sundowners) did something with it, cleaned the carb i think, it started on the second pull. If it were a Kippor it would have died 13 years ago.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I have a small Kipor of which I hardly ever use, but as is often said the Kipor is fine if used under load on a regular basis. I get around the problem of not using it myself by charging Old Moes batteries for him at funster meets :Cool:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Rule of generators: If it's yours it's as quiet as a mouse, if it's someone else's it makes a noise like a fast jet on reheat.

Same with kids and dogs.

If you don't mind £££££££ look up efoy fuel cells.

Link Removed

OP
OP
J

Jph123

Free Member
Nov 2, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
Ducato hymer
Exp
Not enough!
Honda better than Kipor

Thanks for the answers everyone, so just clarify from the various answers, they are all noisy but in the Alps everyone will drown out each other, so (excluding the cost factor), the Honda is the better bit of kit for "occasional back up use?".

Cheers

Justin

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
i got a kippor never bother me though i have seen some people tut tut as they pass by sod knows what they are on about :ROFLMAO:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
There is always this one

Hyundai HY1000si Generator

Noise level at 7m is 58db with no load. The newer sound pressure measurement is 92dba Each Hyundai Leisure generator comes with a standard 24 month warranty for lesiure use (12 months parts and labour, 12 months parts only).

Peter

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
I agree the Hyundai 1000si seems a good bit of kit ,we have used ours a good few times since buying it mainly for recharging the batteries we do have a good onboard charger, the noise dosn't bother me to much we had it on for a hour or so most mornings at the Lincoln show and don't think we bothered anyone.

Aug 19, 2012
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Concord
Exp
Since 2009
There is always this one

Hyundai HY1000si Generator

Noise level at 7m is 58db with no load. The newer sound pressure measurement is 92dba Each Hyundai Leisure generator comes with a standard 24 month warranty for lesiure use (12 months parts and labour, 12 months parts only).

Peter

I bought a Hyundai 2Kw from Johns Cross earlier this year. I concluded it was better quality than the Kippor and that a 1Kw was not man enough to use with the MH. It's been superb. And then there was the Funster discount too. Well pleased. Cheers Rob

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
I agree the Hyundai 1000si seems a good bit of kit ,we have used ours a good few times since buying it mainly for recharging the batteries we do have a good onboard charger, the noise dosn't bother me to much we had it on for a hour or so most mornings at the Lincoln show and don't think we bothered anyone.

That's what the bloody racket was!!!!:roflmto:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
noisier than an old icecream van running its generator from its PTO

kippor to me is near the bottom of the tree, just above the aldi special for being quiet. certainly make you stand out from the crowd when being run under load

might just as well get a builders generator as about as noisy but far more reliable. just dont expect to be able to run them on all sites

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I have a Honda EU10i and when it is plugged into the 230V inlet on the side of the motorhome and simply running the charger and perhaps a small 230V device plugged into a socket, it just sits outside 'puttering' away. The noise level is quite low and scarcely audible inside the van.

Under heavier loads it speeds up and gets a bit noisier. I don't think I have ever used it 'flat-out' but I do use it around the garden to power a 500W grass 'strimmer'. The trimmer makes a lot more noise than the generator!

As a guide to noise levels, remember that a 10 dB increase results in roughly twice the apparent volume, so a generator at 80 dB is twice as loud as one at 70 dB.

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
kipors have a love hate relationship:thumb:
I love it 100 quid of a fun member :thumb:
you lot hate it noisy as hell :Angry:
but on a 30 meter lead I cant hear a thing:thumb:

JimboT

Free Member
Nov 6, 2013
Welwyn Garden City
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Bought a hyundai 3000si
Is a bit noisy under load but when 10m away you cannot here it.
got it on Amazon £627
Jim

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Well... I don't often run our Honda genny.....BUT I had to run our Honda last week end.....at Chateau Gontier, France...on two different days, with two different French motorhomes parking next to us .......one actually came and parked next to me with about 2m distance between us while the Honda 10i 1kw was running:Eeek: :Eeek: :Doh:......with the rest of the AIRE empty except two other vans.....so after about 2 hours of it running.. I went out to turn it off so I am not a nuisance....on seeing me outside next to the generator the Frenchman came to look look at the HONDA and said don't turn it off because of us, as they could not hear it inside there van..::bigsmile::thumb:......and the next day another Frenchman was inquisitive about the generator and was impressed how quite it is....NOW if you can run a Generator next to a French Motorhome without any complaints..THEN IT MUST BE QUITE....although the Honda is called the 10i silent genny:RollEyes::thumb:
I also have a bran new 2kw Kippor....now that is a little noisy...but fine:RollEyes::winky:

I hope that helps you

Oct 8, 2013
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Ravenna
Exp
newguy
I bough a well old Clarke g9000 from ebay this week. Good starter and is quieter than my Yamaha , but have not put the Clarke under serious load yet.

Steve.

Hellboy

Free Member
Nov 26, 2009
Funster No
We have been thinking of buying Gennys for back up and our friends have just bought a Clarke IG1000 from Machine Mart for £249 with vat back voucher

Just wondered if we would be able to run our Sharp 700w microwave occasionally on a 1000w Genny like the Hyundai/HondaEU10i :Smile:

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming
kipor genny

Hi there,
I must admit that i do not like being parked any where near somebody usin-
g a genny of any description the last time i was parked some 25 yards away from a Kipor generator it still sounded like a cement mixer you sure
as hell won't make any friends,as soon as you start the kipor up I'd be sur-
-prised if people didn't start moving off ,or suggesting that you did,just my opinion,no offence,but i think you'll be fine wiyh your solar panels and if it comes to the worst there 's always someone willing to help out,:thumb:

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
I had old brigs and straiten jenny for years and never had a complaint there again usually the nearest nabor would be well out of rang one day a French van pulled up right next to my jenny pointed at it and shouted off in instant reply .........off I then pointed to a parking place 100m away he switched it off I started it he switched it of I started it he went to swich it off his light went out
never rely had a problem :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
but i think you'll be fine wiyh your solar panels

I don't think he will

and if it comes to the worst there 's always someone willing to help out,:thumb:

But you are right with the help bit!!
:Smile:

But I bet he wished he bought one before he went now

Last edited:

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
We have been thinking of buying Gennys for back up and our friends have just bought a Clarke IG1000 from Machine Mart for £249 with vat back voucher

Just wondered if we would be able to run our Sharp 700w microwave occasionally on a 1000w Genny like the Hyundai/HondaEU10i :Smile:

I very much doubt it, most microwaves can use upto twice the power stated on the front on start up, remember the 700 watt stated on the front is the output, the power input will need to be more than that, look on the back of the microwave and check the power input. The Clarke is only rated at 900w anyway,

Hellboy

Free Member
Nov 26, 2009
Funster No
I very much doubt it, most microwaves can use upto twice the power stated on the front on start up, remember the 700 watt stated on the front is the output, the power input will need to be more than that, look on the back of the microwave and check the power input. The Clarke is only rated at 900w anyway,

I did find the quote in the attached review: 'It could also be used for a microwave, tv etc.' a bit off the cuff :ROFLMAO:
http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/articles/view.asp?id=691

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back