Kipor 1 KW - How noisy really?

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by Jph123, Nov 21, 2013.

1. Jph123

Jph123 Read Only Funster

I'm considering buying a Kipor 1 kw generator as back up for heating, batteries etc as I'm spending a couple of months in the Alps at altitude.

The question is (and I know much discussion has already ensued on this subject): How noisy are they in the real world? Decibels etc don't make much sense without comparable equivalents. So are they really annoyingly noisy, alright in daytime but too loud at night, totally fine for wild camping but not on site?

Just some real life views please.

Before it's mentioned I've already had solar panels fitted but these act as more of a trickle charger than providing any meaningful supply of electric.

Thanks

2. bobandjanie

bobandjanie Funster Life Member

Not bad, for what they cost they are OK, but if you have trouble most end up scraped.

We had one for 18 months, then the sump kept filling with petrol, so got rid of it.:Smile:

We then had a eu20i honda, got it second hand, and sold it for what we paid, never any problem but a bit over kill, for what we used it for, :Eek!: and heavy compared to the eu10i .:Rofl1:

So we got a new eu10i, and having had 2 Honda lawnmowers knowing how good they are.
    :Wink: :BigGrin:
    We believe you get what you pay for, and if you want to sell, there is always someone who wants it. :thumb: Bob.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Sat there idling the Kipoor would drown out the Honda. But under load, both are noisy as hell:BigGrin:

• Like Like x 1
  4. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

I wouldn't worry about genny noise in the Alps in winter, everyones using them!

On a slightly different tack though, for battery charging your genny will only be as good as your existing on-board charger. Having only a 16 amp charger will mean you will run your genny for ages to charge your batteries.
    An upgraded on board charger will charge your battries faster and give you more time on the slopes rather than watching your generator run!:thumb:

• Like Like x 2
  5. old-mo

old-mo Funster Extra Special Life Member

If you start the "Kipper" and put it in your motorhome and close the door and sit outside... there very quiet... :Wink::Rofl1:

• Like Like x 8
  6. Jim

Jim Ringleader

If you are not going to use it much, buy the Honda. The Kippor needs to be used regularly.

I had an old Honda in the garage that had not been used for 14 years. Chris and Nigel (Sundowners) did something with it, cleaned the carb i think, it started on the second pull. If it were a Kippor it would have died 13 years ago.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

I have a small Kipor of which I hardly ever use, but as is often said the Kipor is fine if used under load on a regular basis. I get around the problem of not using it myself by charging Old Moes batteries for him at funster meets :Cool:

• Like Like x 2
  8. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Rule of generators: If it's yours it's as quiet as a mouse, if it's someone else's it makes a noise like a fast jet on reheat.

Same with kids and dogs.

If you don't mind £££££££ look up efoy fuel cells.

http://www.efoy.com/en/

• Like Like x 6
  9. Jph123

Jph123 Read Only Funster

Honda better than Kipor

Thanks for the answers everyone, so just clarify from the various answers, they are all noisy but in the Alps everyone will drown out each other, so (excluding the cost factor), the Honda is the better bit of kit for "occasional back up use?".

Cheers

Justin

10. ukbill

ukbill Funster

i got a kippor never bother me though i have seen some people tut tut as they pass by sod knows what they are on about :Rofl1:

• Like Like x 1
  11. old-mo

old-mo Funster Extra Special Life Member

[/HI]

The "Colour"... :Wink::Rofl1:

12. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

All generators are EVIL!!!!!:Laughing:

• Like Like x 1
  13. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

There is always this one

Hyundai HY1000si Generator

Noise level at 7m is 58db with no load. The newer sound pressure measurement is 92dba Each Hyundai Leisure generator comes with a standard 24 month warranty for lesiure use (12 months parts and labour, 12 months parts only).

Peter

14. FULL TIMER

FULL TIMER Read Only Funster

I agree the Hyundai 1000si seems a good bit of kit ,we have used ours a good few times since buying it mainly for recharging the batteries we do have a good onboard charger, the noise dosn't bother me to much we had it on for a hour or so most mornings at the Lincoln show and don't think we bothered anyone.

15. Concord Pilot

Concord Pilot Funster

I bought a Hyundai 2Kw from Johns Cross earlier this year. I concluded it was better quality than the Kippor and that a 1Kw was not man enough to use with the MH. It's been superb. And then there was the Funster discount too. Well pleased. Cheers Rob

16. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

That's what the bloody racket was!!!!:Laughing:

• Like Like x 1
  17. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

noisier than an old icecream van running its generator from its PTO

kippor to me is near the bottom of the tree, just above the aldi special for being quiet. certainly make you stand out from the crowd when being run under load

might just as well get a builders generator as about as noisy but far more reliable. just dont expect to be able to run them on all sites

18. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

I have a Honda EU10i and when it is plugged into the 230V inlet on the side of the motorhome and simply running the charger and perhaps a small 230V device plugged into a socket, it just sits outside 'puttering' away. The noise level is quite low and scarcely audible inside the van.

Under heavier loads it speeds up and gets a bit noisier. I don't think I have ever used it 'flat-out' but I do use it around the garden to power a 500W grass 'strimmer'. The trimmer makes a lot more noise than the generator!

As a guide to noise levels, remember that a 10 dB increase results in roughly twice the apparent volume, so a generator at 80 dB is twice as loud as one at 70 dB.

19. Peter & Elaine

Peter & Elaine Funster

kipors have a love hate relationship:thumb:
    I love it 100 quid of a fun member :thumb:
    you lot hate it noisy as hell :Angry:
    but on a 30 meter lead I cant hear a thing:thumb:

20. JimboT

JimboT Funster

Bought a hyundai 3000si
    Is a bit noisy under load but when 10m away you cannot here it.
    got it on Amazon £627
    Jim