Kintyre Peninsular (1 Viewer)

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Anyone been down to Machrahanish and Campbeltown in Argill? We are away again next week and realised this is the only part of mainland Scotland I've not been to. Just wondered what the roads and campsites are like. Also we'ed like to go across to Gigha for the day, on foot, what's the parking like at the ferry landing at Tayinloan.

Many thanks
Bill

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Was down there a few years ago delivering cattle slats to some numpty who said he was a pop singer.Wasnt very impressed with the place,a bit lacking in nightlife...come to think of it...any sort of life:Smile:.
Reminded me of the Outer Hebrades,tumble weed blowing about everywhere.
Sopose they could have tidied it up a bit since though.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Can thoroughly recommend the Kintyre Penisula, we were going for four days and stayed Eleven, at Macrahanish don't forget to go to the Goldruns just a walk from the camp site there on the way we seen seal's basking and just on the shore below us and at the goldruns wild goats come down from the mountains and a bird hide there great for wild life. We stayed at the site at Carradale right on the beach overlooking Arran, good walks there and also good with a bike for mooching around.

If you are going across to Giga I would take your motorhome they have a free camp site there and again if you have bikes loads of good cycle rides, it would have been cheaper for us to take the motorhome accross than pay to stay on a site overnight. Easy to park by the ferry terminal.

In Cambeltown try to visit the small museum it will explain a lot about the place to you and make your visit more interesting. The roads are narrow but it is very very beautiful.
If you should be going past Lock Fyne we were talking to the people from there a couple of weeks ago and they said if you had anything to eat there is no problem parking on there car park overnight. Just a thought.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Lovely peninsula, just stay clear of Campbelltown after dark .. it is rough when the locals come out to play, don't wild camp near it :Eeek:

keithfal

Free Member
Mar 6, 2010
Worcester area
Funster No
MH
C class Ducato LP
Exp
36 months
Kintyre trip

Anyone been down to Machrahanish and Campbeltown in Argill? We are away again next week and realised this is the only part of mainland Scotland I've not been to. Just wondered what the roads and campsites are like. Also we'ed like to go across to Gigha for the day, on foot, what's the parking like at the ferry landing at Tayinloan.

Many thanks
Bill
Lynne and i stayed in Carradale with our last Caravan:)Laughing:) four years ago - crossed over from Arran. Road is narrow but site is spectacular - saw afore mentioned wildgoats and otters from the site. Plenty of parking at the Gigha terminal for passengers vehicles. Also dolphins and basking sharks seen locally. Good luck:thumb:K

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back