Kindle

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Dodgey, May 31, 2012.

1. Dodgey

Dodgey Funster

Is it worth having the 3G one or just the normal wifi, any thoughts from those that have?

2. slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob Read Only Funster

don't know Si - use an IPAD myself

I cannot help you Si... I use an iPad.. use there book store or buy from kindle on line on the iPad... works for me... just down loaded a few Ian Rankin books for our French trip next week... easier than lugging a load of books with us.

Bob

3. Pikey Pete

Pikey Pete Read Only Funster

The only real advantage is that the 3G one can be used to access e-mails etc when abroad at no extra cost.

If you only want it as an Electronic Book then you don't really need 3G unless you intend downloading books from Kindle when there is no Wi-Fi available, but why would you want to do that?

Pete:Cool:

4. SPUD'N'T

SPUD'N'T Funster

The enemy's got a 3g one, she got e-mail/faceache etc in france/germany spain and portugal, it's not as good as our laptop but it's free and seems to work in most places, so comes in handy when we can't get wi-fi. plus she reads a lot !. worth the extra in our opinion

5. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

I bought the wifi only version and have no regrets. I've downloaded so many books at home that I have no need to even go to Amazon whilst away. If I did ever want to I could do so via the mifi or go to Wetherspoons (despite the fact I might have to,have a pint).

• Like Like x 2
  6. JJ

JJ Funster

Well... I can tell you why you might want to download a book where there is no wi-fi...

You might be a full timing, off site parking motorhomer on the side of a beautiful Portuguese lake and while chatting to a like minded traveller learn of an interesting new book by Steve Bunce... A couple of button presses later you have a (free) preview and segment of the book to browse and if you so choose... a couple more button pushes and it is yours...

Of course you could have made a note of the title and waited until you are back in a wi-fi area... But then some of us are "right now" people...

But... Itinerant Pete is right... You don't need the 3g feature... But then you don't "need" a Kindle... You could always read a book or play with Shelby...

JJ

ps... Get the 3g version...

• Like Like x 2
  7. jb0371

jb0371 Read Only Funster

We both just have the normal ones, enjoy reading but not to the point that I feel I need to download a book while I am away from home, if I want my e mails then I just use my phone.

Got mine about a year ago, the missis wasnt that keen about one as she prefered to feel a book, but since using mine I had to get her own one as she kept on nicking it, I just bought her the cheapest one, didnt think it was worth the extra £20 for a touch one.

You can use a website called www.projectgutenburg.com (something like that) that you can download old books that are out of copyright for free, there is also a free download program that converts different file formats to the .mobi format that the kindle uses. http://calibre-ebook.com/

Hope this helps

8. wivvy's dad

wivvy's dad Read Only Funster

I have both, and the 3G version is certainly useful for free email etc while away from base, as well as downloading books in such circumstances as JJ describes.

I would recommen the 3G version every time - if you think you will use/need/want it, go for it, or regret it later.

9. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

We have one of each.. and both on the same amazon account.. I can order up any book anywhere we go and either have it sent to my one ( 3G ) and then move it over to womans one...

10. Wicketter

Wicketter Funster

We have both, I usually load all my books before we go away. Most places let you pick up wi-fi so you can manage. My nearest and dearest has 3G he likes his gadgets ! He has put books on when we are away, once you have one (either) you will never be without it. Much easier to read on than the iPad. I guess it's horses for courses, saves loads of weight though!

11. Dodgey

Dodgey Funster

Thanks for the input so far folks, though Graham's wifi logic is most appealing:BigGrin:

The 3G one then, I've read the blurb but from first hand what can it and can't it do, email, any account or a specific Amazon one, can you do general web browsing, and any time or download limits?

I appreciate it an e reader widget just looking to be sure I'm looking to the right one? The Europe email thing sounds interesting you see.

12. wivvy's dad

wivvy's dad Read Only Funster

You can log into any email account anywhere there is a 3G signal.
    It can do general web browsing s...l...o...w...l...y
    No time or download limits at all.

13. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

I have the 3G version and have downloaded books in strange places with no wifi. Have also used for email and web browsing abroad (if desperate, it's free but not easy to use).
    Shirley has the non 3G version, but if needed I could download a book on mine and transfer it to hers via laptop.
    3G version is only a bit more expensive, I would go for it, you can't add it afterwards.

14. icantremember

icantremember Funster

Don't be a scrooge Si ..... just get the 3G version....you know it makes sense:thumb:

Brian

• Like Like x 1
  15. Dodgey

Dodgey Funster

Cheeky begger Brian:Rofl1:

Don't want to look at the wrong one either way, but for the sake of £60 seems easier to go the whole hog based on input, especially as we could do email and maybe a little browsing on't continent, if, as, when we escape these shores:thumb:

Thanks all:thumb:

16. icantremember

icantremember Funster

I bought ours mainly for the same reason .....i.e. when we hit foreign shores in a few weeks if I can only grab it from 'er indoors for a few minutes :Angry: & she didn't even want one :Doh:

• Like Like x 1
  17. 1948

1948 Read Only Funster

touch 3g

Latest kindle touch 3g Broswer does not work in Europe Check it out before you commit

18. slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob Read Only Funster

seems you also have to pay for the use

If you read all the details you still have to pay Amazon... OK less than some mobile phones.. but given you can get a G3 try and quad band phone that does the lots for emails, calls and internet... All I can see is the Kindle is a reader.

My IPAD does all that and a lot more beside... :Blush:

Bob... european use is an issue as stated.. need to watch that Si... and they are very very slow.... will drive you mad.:cry::cry:

19. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

My good lady, creep, has a 3g and it keeps her quiet most of the time , :thumb::thumb::thumb:
    Go for it Simon :BigGrin:

20. Dodgey

Dodgey Funster

Cheers again all.

The 3G bit really looks to be a convenience really, I can't actually imagine we'd use it much beyond it's design anyway but a 'backup' as it were when away maybe.

Cheers again for all input, much appreciated.

PS, keep it quiet folks as there is an element of supprise here, well in a couple of weeks:BigGrin::thumb: