Kindle questions

Discussion in 'Computers' started by golly, Nov 17, 2011.

1. golly

golly Funster

I am thinking of hinting for a Kindle for Christmas:RollEyes: However I don't really know how they work:Doh:.

Once downloaded, are the books stored on the devices memory, or do you have to have wi fi or 3G connection?

Also, should I go for the standard Kindle or the 3G model. Hope some of you computer buffs can advise.

Cheers John

2. Hollyberry

Hollyberry Funster

I love my Kindle. It's so simple to use, can change the size of the text, download loads of free books., fits in my handbag. I've got the 3G version so it downloads books when you're sat in bed, out and about, whenever.
    I had a terrible concentration problem and the Kindle got me reading again. I was talking to someone from my widows group and she said the same thing--the simplicity and small page size of the Kindle seemed to help the concentration problem.

They couldn't be simpler to use. Can only speak for the 3G but click on "sample" or buy book on Amazon and it appears in the Kindle in seconds. Keep it there or delete it in 2 clicks. Also because it isn't backlit (like a PC) it's easy on your eyesight.

3. bryandh

bryandh Funster

Have a look here at the Kindle Users Forum, should answer most of your questions, but in short...go for 3G version you won't regret it, very useful piece of kit.

http://www.kuforum.co.uk/

Regards, Bryan

4. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

you can store approx 2000 books on the kindle's memory. I keep asking santa for one but I'm deaf and don't hear the request.

5. golly

golly Funster

Thanks for the link Bryan, I shall have a look.

John

6. Popeye

Popeye Funster

I think you'll have to ask Santa for a handbag too Roger, of course I am assuming you don't have one?:RollEyes:

• Like Like x 1
  7. golly

golly Funster

That sounds great, 2000 should last me a while:Rofl1:

8. golly

golly Funster

Is a handbag compulsory or is it an option.:Rofl1:

• Like Like x 1
  9. Hollyberry

Hollyberry Funster

You can't have a singular handbag--that's cruel, everyone knows they are happier in a pack, or even a herd.

10. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

not to worry I have a wide choice to suit all occasions:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:
    i have tescos, asda, morrisons and even a rare WALMART from the USA, hee hee

11. JJ

JJ Funster

I have a 3G Kindle. It brings me great joy to receive my Independent paper in bed everyday day no matter where I am (as long as there is a mobile phone signal of course) but, if the truth be known, I mostly use the wi-fi function and would not find it difficult to live without the 3G feature.

I don't know what the difference in cost is these days but if you are normally at home and you have your own wi-fi there then the 3G is a bit surplus to requirements...

As for using it for emails etc ... I can't with mine 'cos I think it is registered in the USA somehow so doesn't work in Europe for web browsing.

The once I used it in the UK it was very, very slow and tricky but useable just.

For emails and quick short browses of the web I use my smart phone...

JJ

12. golly

golly Funster

Thanks JJ, Price is about £85 for normal and £140 for 3G, I don't know how often I would use 3G as I would probably download books prior to going away, and I have a Net book and a smart phone if I need to browse the web. Decisions, decisions !

13. tomm2

tomm2 Read Only Funster

You and my dear better half would get on great . Im convinced she can smell handbag shops , as without fail she will find them no problem , on a first visit to any town , during our MH travels.

14. JayDee

JayDee Funster

Neither I nor Mrs. JayDee has the 3G kindle. I have downloaded on mine all sorts of stuff (Candide, a bit of Plato, Edgar Rice Burroughs Barsoom Omnibus, lots of classic SciFi and Fantasy, Sherlock Holmes...:RollEyes:). Got enough to keep me going for months. When I've read it all I'll change it for other stuff. So far all I've downloaded are free from Amazon, Gutenberg Project, Obooko and such like :Cool:. My view is that as I don't subscribe to newspapers or magazines I don't need the 3G facility. I get the news on line on the computer.

But that's just me. If you want your daily newspaper, or whatever, then the 3G is probably a must.

John

15. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

I would pay the extra for the 3G. It's great being abroad and buying (free) books. the 3G is FOC to use:thumb:

16. veevee

veevee Funster

treacle, does that mean there is no charge at all to download data from where ever?

17. ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ Funster Life Member

Yes its free and I would not go overseas without it, it can be a bit slow but I have to remind myself that its free and any use of smart phone the cost would go through the roof.

18. Stephen & Jeannie

Stephen & Jeannie Read Only Funster

At last !.......

I have a Kindle, it is a mystery to me (I have problems setting an alarm !) I will rack your brains when I get to your place, driving a Kindle lesson coming up !:thumb::Rofl1::Rofl1:

19. dylan

dylan Read Only Funster

When you say the "normal" one do you mean the Kindle light ? This is the one I was thinking of buying. I don't go abroad any more so don't think I need the 3g. Anyone got the "light" ?

20. golly

golly Funster

The £89 one is the wi-fi 6" version.