Kids in Spain

Discussion in 'Spain' started by AndyRiff, Jul 11, 2016.

1. AndyRiff

AndyRiff Funster

Morning,

We arrive in Bilbao at 07:15 on 16th August and head back to the UK from Santander in the evening of 27th August. We have two girls aged 8 and 3.
    I was going to book Playa Joyel in Noja (thanks @Chris ) for a couple of days when we got there so we could acclimatise and let the kids play in the pool, which they love! Unfortunately it is fully booked so we need an alternative.
    It seems the world, or at least Spain is out Oyster but I haven't got a clue where to go!?! I don't want to stress the family out by driving round aimlessly so has anyone got any recomendations on where to go or somewhere to head to? We would love to visit San Sebastian but other than that I've no idea where's good? The girls love swimming more than anything, so places with a pool or near the sea would be good, more relaxing than trekking.

• Like it Like it x 1
  2. Geejay

Geejay Funster

3. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

Just be aware how busy Spain is in August.. I think the whole of Spain go away for the month...
    We have a place in Benidorm and it's crammed, the only time all the apartments are in use..
    So plan ahead and get booked... Be aware there wont be any cheap prices.

Good luck... Here is a link to some aires as a backup..
    http://www.lapaca.org/es/areas-de-servicio

4. Madcaravanner

Madcaravanner Funster

5. MikeD

MikeD Funster

We definitely agree with @tonka.

We were in northern Spain this last August and it was rammed. We really struggled to get a pitch around the Picos mountains. We could not even get near to Cabaraceno.

I suspect the coast would have been worse.

But be aware that if you go south of the mountains it can get very warm. We had 38c one evening as we crossed Spain to go down to the Costa's.

• Like it Like it x 1
  6. matamoros

matamoros Funster

• Like it Like it x 1
  7. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

I think it may be a little too late tp help the OP. He posted in July, so I guess he is long since back from his trip.

8. Riverbankannie

Riverbankannie Funster

Hello @AndyRiff , are you there's? How was your trip. We'd like to know!:)

9. AndyRiff

AndyRiff Funster

Evening, our small trip turned out to be an epic journey! Can't remember all the details now but we headed for San Sebastian and spent two days there, campsite was on top of a hill, nice, and San Sebastian was wonderful but it turned really cold so we headed for Aranjuez where we stayed on a great campsite that was all Spanish, we got by and were accepted by the locals after a short period, kids loved the pools as it was HOT. A friend had just landed in Torremolinos so we threw caution to the wind and headed for Camping Torremolinos.....nearly got stuck as we came up a road adjacent which had INCHES to spare either side and a big drop at the end where our towbar grounded out! Anyway we got there, not a great site but we were at friends apartment most of the day. Our MH has not got Aircon in the back and it was HOT...reallt HOT so we had to buy fans but it was not comfortable! We spent a few days there then headed back up to Santander on the Portuguese side taking in a new campsite every day, most of which were excellent, Camping Cacares especially, you had your own shower and toilet block adjacent to your pitch! I scraped the side of the MH in Camping Villsom near Seville as it was very dense with trees :(

Looking back it's a shame the weather turned cold in San Sebastian as it really was great and we would have loved to explore that area more. It was far too hot down south without Aircon, a mistake noted. Maybe should have stayed in Aranjuez (although a nightmare to drive around with a 5 ton MH!), a great site to be amongst the Spanish. All in all a good holiday though, nice to have the ferry trip to relax on the way there and back but all in all we travelled too far....again (France last year, down to Bordeaux!). Just planning this years trip, can you get to Greece in a MH? :D

Thanks for the interest @Riverbankannie :)

• Like it Like it x 7
  10. Riverbankannie

Riverbankannie Funster

Sounds like you did have an adventure even if a bit stressful a couple of times. Good to hear you are not put off, but did I see a recent post about possibility of hiring out your MH?
    Most funsters will say no way, but then we would say don't go to south of Spain in August!!
    Thanks for posting:)

• Funny Funny x 1