khyam motordome excelsior help

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Summies, Sep 15, 2009.

1. Summies

Summies Read Only Funster

Here goes i got the above awning with my motorhome but when i have pitched it up with my ace milano the channel for which it attachs to the van seems to high for the awning lifting the poles off the ground. It may just be that the ground is uneven but i am doubtful. is there a specific way to attach to the van that i am just missing.

2. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

I don't have a kyam dome but a similar driveaway. Is it possible that your awning is attached to high for use with the Kyam?
    I know that when we had our last van the awning was too low (just above door height) which caused a little problem. There is a way to get round your problem by slightly opening the awning this will lower it and of course stay waterproof.

3. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

How many of the figure 8 fittings are you using?

Our Excelsior came with three x 1 metre lengths. I cut one in half.

We normally use two and a half so that the habitation door (at the rear of the van) and the side window plus gas locker are within the awning. That means that the fabric of the "tunnel" doesn't reach the ground but the poles do - it probably would if we used one and a half or two metres of the figure 8 fittings.

If we were to use the full three metres of figure 8 fittings I don't think the poles would reach the ground.

Graham

4. Brisey

Brisey Funster Life Member

Hi Summies

We have the same problem with our Khyam Motordome Excesior. Our awning is set too high on the side of the van to allow the beading of the Khyam to slide into the channel without lifting the tunnel fabric off of the ground. I think that the optimum height is about 240 cms, above that and your'e going to get a gap at the bottom.
    We have decided to use ours as a free standing unit, it is a good size and is very easy to erect, the tunnel fabric can be rolled up and secured using the attached toggles so that it doesn't flap about.

5. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Further to previous post. Our van came with a J rail already fixed (see photo). We clip the figure 8 bars onto that. The awning channel at roof level would be much too high.

Graham

6. Summies

Summies Read Only Funster

thanks for the help, i may be sounding a bit thick but the guy we bought it off had never used it and lost the instructions. not sure on the use of the figure of eight thingy.

7. Brisey

8. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

We don't have an awning on the van, just the J rail. We do have a gap at the bottom but not as big as that in the photo.

The figure 8 thingy pieces are slid onto the Kador bead (which you are sliding into the channel) and then clips over the J Rail.

I've attached a couple of copies of pages from the Khyam instructions to illustrate.

Summies, if you send me a PM with your address I'll send you a copy of the full instructions. You as well Brisey if you need them.

Graham

9. Brisey

Hi Graham

We need to have the tunnel at that height, otherwise the side door won't open.:BigGrin:
    Thank you very much for offering to supply instructions, but SWMBO has decreed that we will no longer connect it to the van, but will use it as a freestanding unit.:thumb:

10. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Same with us with the J rail. If we used a short length of figure 8 thingy though (one or one and a half) I think the fabric would reach the ground. It's more convenient for us to have the gas locker door inside the awning though - cos it usually rains if it needs the cylinder changing when we are away :Smile:

I understand that it is possible to buy a sort of bridge connector which is two pieces of Kapor bead separated by a couple of inches of cloth. One side can be slid into the channel on the cassette and the figure 8 thing is then slid onto the other side.

Graham

11. Pat4Neil

Pat4Neil Read Only Funster

Hello

We have one which we inherited with the Motorhome. Never been used by the previous occupier.

We bought those fixing to fit it into the awning, and does work however, we are over 3.0metres tall, so not great. We use ours free standing, and only take it when we are meeting up with friends, and it becomes a get together area.

However, the previous owner had tennis balls attached to some of the guy ropes, it turns out that he chucked them over the van and tied it that way. No wonder he didnt use it.

Pat