Key help needed

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by mandymops, Apr 7, 2013.

1. mandymops

mandymops Read Only Funster

Hi, I wonder if any of you funsters could advise me. I have an ancient rascal nipper and I only have one set of keys for all the various locks; cab and ignition, stable door at back, water and two different keys for each side locker. My primary problem is, the key for one of the side lockers is a short, fat, hollow cylinder which should have a small nub of metal on the inside which fits into the small slot inside a circular hole forming the lock. The little nub has worn down to nothing so it no longer works. The habitation door has a similar set-up but with the nub on the outside of the circle.

Now I need to replace the locker key and I would like to get a full second set as spares but a normal locksmith doesn't seem to be able to do these weird cylinder keys. Does anyone out there. A) know what they a called so I can research them or B) know who I should turn to?

2. Janine

Janine Funster Life Member

We had to replace ours last year:

[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/CARAVAN-CARALOC-SECURITY-REPLACEMENT-FRONT/dp/B00755FFQW/ref=sr_1_4?s=sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1365335642&sr=1-4&keywords=caraloc"]CARAVAN DOOR LOCK CARALOC 640 HIGH SECURITY LOCK REPLACEMENT FRONT: Amazon.co.uk: Sports & Outdoors[/ame]

edited: wrong link

Last edited: Apr 7, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  3. mandymops

Ah, I see. So you replaced the whole shebang. For some reason that hadn't occurred to me. It seems I may have to take that route. Thanks. I don't think that would work with the side locker though but it is just a flap. I can probably just continue to feel underneath and force the locks by hand.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

Fiamma use that type of key but we would not be able to match it, might be an idea to give Glenn a phone call and ask him as it sounds like a common lock used on most motorhome door lockers. 01-580-881288

Peter

• Like Like x 1
  5. mandymops

Actually, with help I've solved the habitation door problem and I have ordered a new caraloc lock barrel with four keys. The locker lock is another matter entirely though and on closer inspection, there are no slots in the lock so there probably was never any protrusion on the key. I can't imagine how it ever turned. I can't work out how to add a picture from my own images but it's all academic now. I'm obviously just going to have to fit new locks in both cases. Thanks for your input.

6. mandymops

Thanks, both problems solved!:BigGrin:

7. motorhomelover

motorhomelover

It is so nice when a problem is no longer a problem happy camping.

• Like Like x 1