Kettles

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by ninjayorkies, Aug 25, 2011.

1. ninjayorkies

ninjayorkies Read Only Funster

My low wattage kettle is tripping the electrics so before I fork out for another one am I better off getting another 800w one or for fulltiming would I be better off with a bog standard household kettle for half the price to use when on ehu?

2. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

UK bog standard ok if you have a 16A EHU supply .. 2,500 watt uses about 11A a 3,000 watt one about 13A
    However, this leaves little for the fridge, battery charger and any other bits of kit .. you risk tripping the supply ..

your choice, I would get the low wattage

3. normanandsue

normanandsue Funster

Why not use an old fashioned whistling on on the cooker hob - no fear of tripping circuits and valuable when wildcamping

Norman

4. PenelopePitstop

PenelopePitstop Funster Life Member

We have a bog standard one for when on hook up - we have tripped the leccy but hey ho I do it with the microwave too sometimes :Wink::Wink:

5. aba

aba

we have bog standard 2000watt el-cheapo and a nice gas hob type so best of both really.
    if you trip the mains with the electric one reset it then use the gas one if you don't trip the mains then your ok:thumb:

6. Squire

Squire Read Only Funster

I'm a bit confused - are you using your 800w kettle on an inverter, then? Are the 'electrics' that are being tripped your motorhome system?

7. ninjayorkies

No I'm using my 800watt kettle on ehu. It's been fine up until today when we moved sites and suddenly it's tripping the electric. Saying it's been fine - only one plug socket in kitchen so kettle is plugged into an extension lead along with DAB radio and every time I switch kettle on it makes radio cut out sporadically.

8. Gromett

Gromett Funster

I have never understood the electric kettle in the MH thing? I use a whistling gas one. Water in cup, empty into kettle so I am only heating what I actually need. The good thing about having a gas one is that you can use it anywhere and don't have to find storage for two kettles :BigGrin:

• Like Like x 2
  9. MHVirgins

MHVirgins

Low wattage kettle

Hi all!
    We were looking for a low wattage kettle recently, as we have an old-fashioned whistling one for the gas hob, but I wouldn't have thought this would trip on the ehu if you weren't using too much else at the same time.
    We've continued with the whistler as everyone else is up by the time we surface anyway, so we're not disturbing anyone!:Rofl1:

10. Swift

Swift

Use a jetboil, mine has been indispensable here, you can also use it anywhere, we have ours on the table outside :thumb:

11. ninjayorkies

Why use my gas to boil water if I'm on a site where electric is included. Storing both is no problem. Checked wiring in plug which is as much as I can do. For the cost of a new one it's hardly worth getting someone to check it out :cry:

12. Squire

Squire Read Only Funster

Well, I can tell you, Gromett. In one word - 'condensation' .... or in another - 'humidity'

The second you light the gas ring the combustion process churns out water vapour into the atmosphere at a rate you wouldn't believe. Apart from using 'free' leccy that you've already paid for, this alone prevents me from using a gas kettle whenever EHU is available - and it's just as valid whether you're sur le Continent at 38 degrees and sweltering or in Scotland when it's chucking it down outside and - well, you know!

As an avid wild camper I have nevertheless carried both gas and electric kettles for years.

• Like Like x 2
  13. motorhomer

motorhomer Read Only Funster

EHU can vary from 3 amps in some continental sites to 20 amps, usually 16 in UK.

What sort of kettle you can use without tripping the electrics depends on your EHU amps.

We always use a low wattage kettle as it can be used in most - but not all - sites (6 amps plus). A normal household kettle would trip out many european EHU's.

We also have a gas kettle, as others have said you need gas for situations with no EHU or very low amps. But we use the electric when its already been paid for in the site fees!

14. Gromett

Gromett Funster

Ok, I can understand the free electric argument but I am not going to worry about 2 minutes of Gas and carry an extra kettle :Wink:

I have not noticed any condensation problems from using my gas kettle to be honest. The shower generates a load more.....

Storage is an issue for me now however as I have my whole life fitted into a 2mtr by 3.5mtr space :Doh:

I think if you are going to use an electric kettle you are going to have to live with the restrictions such as some sites have a low current supply or dodgy breakers....:Eeek:

Hope you get your kettle sorted though, nightmare not having tea and coffee on tap (so to speak)

15. ninjayorkies

Cuppa's aren't a problem as I'm using my gas kettle until I find a camping shop to replace my leccy kettle. If I didn't drink so much in a day (15 - 20 cups) and didn't have to boil water for washing up etc as water heater is only working off gas I wouldn't mind so much but it's a lot of faff otherwise when I could just flick a switch and 'Hey Presto' hot water :Rofl1:

16. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

We use a Morphy Richards 1kw kettle, dirt cheap from Tesco. Don't know if they still do them though as we've had it for years. It's much smaller than an ordinary kettle so boils quite fast. Fine on 6A hookup even with the fridge on.

17. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

I have a low wattage jobby.

Problem is that by the time it has boiled I don't feel like a cuppa anymore. I carry that one and a small hob whistler.

18. staging lady

staging lady Funster

Like Treacle we have a low wattage travel kettle and a gas whistler.
    Uk usuage of supply is no problem, as the allowance is generous but in Italy many sites are only 3 amps. Travel kettles are very small and don't take up much space- ours fits in a plastic mixing bowl when on the move.

Lucille

19. MHVirgins

MHVirgins

Low wattage kettle

Hi Swift!
    I was interested to read your post regarding the jetboil kettle, can you tell me a bit more about these, we're newbies and haven't heard of a jetboil kettle?
    We're using our old whistler at the moment.
    Many thanks.

20. 1_man_and_his_dob(lo)

1_man_and_his_dob(lo) Funster

Welcome to my world...

...which in my case means Campingaz. And that's a good enough reason to carry both kettles :Smile:

I use a leaky whistling one and a little low wattage one from Argos that boils fairly quickly.